A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: easy first sweater knitalong for those who are lacking confidence?  (Read 2162 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

swampy
« on: January 24, 2005 06:21:01 AM »

anyone interested in joining this one?  i hate to sew pieces together, and this pattern starts at the top and works it's way down, so you can try it on as you are working on it for the perfect length.  i've done one, and like it so much, i thought i'd do another. 

the beginning is a little difficult, but this project is labelled 'enthusiastic beginner'. 

check the pattern out at: 

http://secure.elann.com/ProductDisp.asp?Name=Cabin+Fever+Leaflet+602+-+Take+It+From+the+Top&ProductType=4

here's my first sweater:  

i'm doing one now in a celery green.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 08:59:24 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
swampy
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005 06:21:57 AM »

no one has joined this one...but i thought i'd post my progress. 

here is the yoke of the raglan i'm working on.  i am almost ready to divide the body and sleeves. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
swampy
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005 07:03:02 AM »

more progress...

now it actually is starting to look like a sweater.  i'm starting on the sleeves next, and then will come back to the length of the body. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005 10:18:21 AM »

Oooh, your sweater is looking great! I love that shade of green. I'm not QUITE up to sweater level yet, having only learned to knit a month ago (I've made a blanket and two hats, and am working on a poncho), but this looks like a really good pattern to try once I'm ready...

I can't get your link to work, though. Do you have to log into the site first or something?

What kind of yarn are you using? And what size of needles? I'm trying to tell from the pics what stitch is involved --- it looks like mostly just plain ole' stockinette, which sounds good to me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
swampy
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005 02:38:35 PM »

this is donagal tweed, size 8 circular needles.  since it's circular needles, all you have to do is knit. 

for the pattern, try searching for the name...it's called 'take it from the top' and is leaflet #602

it's a 'Cabin Fever' pattern, and i must give kudos to this company.  they have helped me twice.  once over the phone, and once over email.  simple stuff, and they always seem happy to do it, even though it seems like they should be telling me to go to my LYS and take a lesson! 

this last time, they helped me figure out the numbers to make this sweater smaller. 

give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swampy
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005 08:10:46 AM »

well, i finished the length...it comes to about mid-hip on me. 

i said i was going to do the sleeves, but got caught up in finishing a cat bed, and we had guests this weekend.  i couldn't concentrate on picking up the stitches. 

i've got to find my size 8 16" circs!  my next project will be organizing my needles.  i can't find them anywhere!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
swampy
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005 04:21:03 PM »

today was the first day i knitted on this since the last time i posted.  

i did one sleeve today.  the other is for tomorrow...

the sleeve only took about 2.5 hours, maybe less.

i'd say all in all that this is a 15 hour sweater.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 09:00:21 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005 07:17:41 PM »

Wow, that is quite impressive!  I may try this pattern out when I get up to sweater level (I'm only 2 weeks into knitting and want to make a hat first Wink  ).  But soon!i
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
monkichee
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005 03:39:52 AM »

swampy,

very impressive! i really love the celery color you're using.

if you like top-down, easy sweaters, here's another GREAT pattern to play with:

http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html

basically you pick whatever yarn and gauge you want, do the math (very little) and it magically fits! i've done two now and it still amazes me that it works out. My first one was with the standard neck (which I later picked up and made into a ribbed turtleneck) and the one I'm doing now is the v-neck. unbelievably (at least to me) it actually looks like a "V"

just putting it out there for anyone not willing to pay $5 for a pattern, or who prefers a raglan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Blake Lively Suits Up in Crimson Menswear
Blake Lively Sports a Striped Body Hugging Gown on the Savages Red Carpet
How to Walk in High Heeled Slingbacks
Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams Give Us Two Takes on the LBD
Jessica Stam Talks About Her Summer Style at the Coach Party
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...