A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pop Tab Purse - Tutorial Added!  (Read 79187 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alexandraf
« on: March 22, 2008 11:00:07 PM »

Someone on this board posted a link to Novica.com, and after wandering over there I saw this purse http://handbags.novica.com/soda-pop-top/soda-pop-top-shoulder-bag-baby-pink-mandala/106957/. Of course, in true craftster fashion, I said, "Hey! I can totally make this!"

So, after months of collecting tabs and numerous trial-and-error attempts to design the shapes, here is my bag!

Shot of me wearing it, to show scale:

And lying flat:

Aaaaand a shot of the lovely lining!

I absolutely love it.... it's big enough (and sturdy enough!) to carry all of my usual stuff around, and it's quirky. I like quirky.

Butterfly mercerized cotton, size F hook, a bunch of pop tabs, lined with batik.
This is definitely inspired by the Novica bag, but I made the pattern up from scratch Cheesy Enjoy!

And now, finally, a tutorial!

Now, I tried to make this tutorial as clear as possible. This is really only a guideline, as the actual number of stitches per tab and per round will depend on the yarn you use, and the type of tab. Also, I only use tabs in the round, just because I like the versatility of motifs. But, you can also use tabs while crocheting in rows using the same basic method!

For using tabs oriented horizontally, first make your center motif. I would recommend ending with at least one row of sc around before starting a tab row, as opposed to an openwork stitch, because it makes it easier to work the tabs on. Then, you'll want to insert your hook into one of the tab holes, YO (1), and draw the yarn through the tab and the loop on the hook(1b).

1.b.

Then, sl st in the next sc (2). Depending on how close together you want your tabs to be, you may want to sl st in the next two sc... this spreads them apart a bit more.

Then, you will want to repeat 1 and 1b... insert the hook through the next tab hole, YO (3), and draw through loop on hook. Sl st in the next sc, and then insert the hook into the first hole of the next tab. YO (3.b) and draw through loop on hook.

3.b.

Sl st in the next sc (or, next two sc), insert hook in next tab hole, YO, and draw through loop on hook (4).

If you continue in this fashion all the way around, you will have a row of tabs that slightly overlap at the ends. Alternatively, you could do a few tall stitches in between tabs (dc, possibly tr). Ch 3 (or more) to reach the height of the tabs (5), and begin to sc in the tab holes around (5.b.) and join (5.c.).

5.b.

5.c.

You'll definitely want to experiment with your yarn and tabs to see how many stitches per tab can fit them comfortably. For my bag in particular I knew I wanted hexagon shapes, so once I had the basic circle with two rows of tabs figured out I came up with a number of stitches that I could divide by six, and then shaped the corners over three (maybe four?) rows of sc. Anyway, hope this is useful to someone! Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008 10:18:13 PM by alexandraf - Reason: added tutorial! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Extrapolate that!
narhloki
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008 11:07:18 PM »

looks great! I love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crochetedkitten
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008 11:28:48 PM »

How much soda did you drink to collect all those tabs?   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life Is Short, Crochet Naked!
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008 12:26:37 AM »

You know, I've seen the pop-tab purses before and thought it was a neat idea, but they always seemed to have a few too many pop-tabs for my taste.  This bag seems to have the balance just right!

I love it!  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mochiko

friendly, absentminded daydreamer ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008 12:50:17 AM »

Great job! Your purse is beautiful! Lovely design and I just love the shape of the overall design as well!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008 04:57:24 AM »

WOW   I have been to that website too, could not figure out the purse pattern.  But the time I was caring for my Dad.  Well I need to go back and check it out because I have a 3 gal water bottle full of tabs.  I have made a couple of purse but not crazy about them.

YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB ON YOURS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rorichan
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008 07:21:40 AM »

Wow! Great job on that bag! I've been saving some pop tabs to make some crafts with and now you've gotten me even more inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krisiti
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008 07:40:52 AM »

Wow, that totally rocks. I love the design, it looks like an intricate inlaid mosaic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meme555
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008 09:51:02 AM »

Ohhh me love!!! I've recently started collecting the pop tabs and sooo wanna make a purse like yours!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008 10:02:28 AM »

Shocked That's beautiful, and yours is SO much better that the ones on the website!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bob Hairstyle and Smokey Eyes Makeover
Sweeping Fringe Makeover
Sun-kissed Style Hair Makeover
Natural Glossy Hair Makeover
Vintage Style Makeup Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...