A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you like the site? Do you like the product?  (Read 1125 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JenB
« on: March 22, 2008 06:40:57 AM »

www.homeberries.com

OK, I've been around for a while now, but never had the guts to go for the critique. So here it goes.

Tell me what you think. I built the website myself. It's a lot of images but I don't have that SEO thing completely down yet.  Undecided   Let me know if it's user friendly.

I don't have a ton of products yet, but it's growing slowly. Do you like the collection set up?

Biting my nails waiting for your answer -LOL,

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.homeberries.com
Embroidery can't change the world... or can it?
motivate kindness
VictorVenefic
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008 11:24:06 PM »

I really like the design of the website but it's very image heavy which might not be user friendly to those with slow internet connections.

Your patterns are really nice too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

| unattractive? yes. | artistic? sure. | masculine? psh, no! |
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008 11:26:23 AM »

Ditto - I love it, but it's not very efficient. Also, with all the pics and little descriptive text it's not very search-engine friendly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JenB
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008 02:03:09 PM »

Exactly, I know what you ladies are saying,BUT I don't know how to fix it without tearing apart the design.

My biggest problem is lack of content. I don't know how to make the font the way I like it while making it possible for others to see. I seem to get the warning that if it's not a standard font (boring!) then it will be changed when other's see it on their monitors. So I've been making images of the text to keep the style alive. Is there another way??

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.homeberries.com
motivate kindness
Artsystuff
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008 05:22:17 AM »

I love the design of your page. I could navigate on the site just fine, I think it is user friendly (I do have fast internet connection so might be slower for the people that don't have this). I love the images, they give it a really "fresh" and innovative look. I also like your pattern designs and your name collections. Good Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008 05:01:35 PM »

I think you've done a beautiful job, and visually it is a very nice site. I am a website programmer/designer/master myself so I completely admire the time you put into this. 

My advice:  eliminate the use of .PNG images, they are high quality but not practical for internet use.  Convert your images to GIF at 72dpi or JPG (though jpg compression is typically quite bad)  PNG is more of a format you would use if the images were for printing.  so they are very high quality but not practical for internet site usage.  Changing the format of your images will increase the speed in which it all loads Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
JenB
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008 07:25:07 AM »

Thank you so much for the advice. I am really glad there's a way to convert my images. It'll just take a while before I can do the whole site. Cheesy

It took me a year to get it the way I wanted it, and I am even now thinking of ways to change and tweak it a bit to add more content and stuff. I can see it's like one of those projects that NEVER ends. "Sigh"

I will aspire to making enough money to hire someone someday to do all of this non creative tiresome stuff for me. "DREAMING"

Thanks for everything!

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.homeberries.com
motivate kindness
noble bandit
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008 11:03:29 PM »

Just like the others who have posted, I love the site.  It is very refreshing to see a site that goes beyond the boring and ordinary.  Congrats- all the work you have put in definitely turned out nice.  I do have two suggestions however.  The first is that though the checked background is very cute and very nice visually, it does make text harder to read- particularly the text located right on it.  Your copyright notice has come up fine with my connection but the other text down there has not.  This might not be a big deal to you, but thought I would mention it.
The other suggestion has to do with the "Contact" page.  Unless the viewer has an account or opts to create an account, they might have problems contacting you.  I do notice that the e-mail address does appear in the address bar on my web browser, but I don't know about other web browsers (that are probably more standard) and also, not everyone will look up there for the email address.  I could see this as a potential problem for casual viewers who have a question but don't have the time to go searching for your contact information.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovething

braaaaaaiiiiiinnnnssss

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008 09:23:33 AM »

I love it! In fact, I think I'll be buying from you in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JenB
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008 02:16:15 PM »

Thank you,

I didn't realize that about my contact info. I think I will put together an actual contact page. I've recently been told about a website called "grandcentral.com" that will give you a free "phone number" that you can access through your computer. That way I can have a phone contact and an email contact. Maybe I'll even create a couple emails for different topics - help, questions, suggestions, orders... that kind of stuff.

Thanks again for all of the help,

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.homeberries.com
motivate kindness
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photography and the Green Screen
Skating and Photography
Photographing Wildlife
Photographing Big Cats
High Resolution Photography Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...