A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vermont Craft/Art Resources?  (Read 1987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wildwoodflower
« on: March 21, 2008 10:19:15 AM »

Hello,
    I'm new to Vermont. My partner and I just opened a country store in Rochester, and I make all sorts of crafts from jewelry making to quilting to paper crafts to crocheting and I also paint. I'm hoping some of you can tell me some stores in VT that sell craft making items and also art supplies. I so far only know of the big chain stores in Rutland like Joann's. Any other fabric stores, thrift stores, art supply stores, etc. that I should know about? I saw the last post about the Restore, and I think I'll try it sometime when I make a trip out that way. It would be great if you can tell me some places near me, but it might also be nice to just compile a list for everyone here on this board of VT resources they might enjoy. Sorry if this has already been posted about... I wasn't sure where to find it. Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tayyeye
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008 04:36:28 PM »

Hi there,

Obviously there's a few places in Burlington - I'm not so familiar with central Vermont but a few LYSs that I know would be closer to you:

Theres a yarn place on Rt 7 just south of Vergennes.  I've never been there but always wanted to stop.

Also there's a yarn store in Montpelier across from the Shaw's.  It's upstairs.  Again, I've never been there.

THis probably doesn't help you that much.  Smiley 
Welcome to VT!
tay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tayto (rhymes with potato) knits
http://taytoknits.blogspot.com
Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008 06:02:33 AM »

Rutland, Burlington, and Barre all have Salvation Army stores, and now Williston (near all the big boxes) has a Goodwill store.  Those are the best for cheap goods!  I don't know much about your part of the state.  I live in the Montpelier area but go to Burlington several times a week so I use the local stores and the box stores between here and there.  I try to use the smaller shops first, but I find that they don't usually have the specialty items like resin molds, angelina fibers, etc.  Even some of the bigger stores don't have that stuff so I end up on line.  One place that I have been very disapointed in is the Ben Franklin store (has a different name, like habitat or something?  Creative Habitat?) it's in S. Burlington at the beginning of the Shelburne Rd./Rt. 7. With only a few exceptions, I've found that whatever I can find there I can find elsewhere for cheaper.
Happy Crafting Everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
tayyeye
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008 10:15:59 AM »

Knitter's Laine in Shelburne is closing!  I'd never been there but today I saw an ad that they were selling everything for at least 40% off - so I got there right away!  Beautiful selection of yarn!  They're open Fridays and Saturdays 10 or 12 to 5.  Get there soon before they run out of the good stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tayto (rhymes with potato) knits
http://taytoknits.blogspot.com
slothbabies
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008 08:22:01 PM »

Also, FreeCycle can be a great resource for arts and crafts materials.  I know I've unloaded boxes of my old craft supplies on other families (crafty kids stuff like Popsicle sticks and pompoms and whatnot) and other people frequently post craft supplies as well.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008 03:28:49 AM »

What is Free Cycle? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008 09:45:24 AM »

Bennington has a lot of great second-hand stores; there's a salvation army, a goodwill, Second Hand Rose, Second Time Around, and another little one whose name I forget. There's a nice yarn store in Manchester too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
6 Simple DIY Masks That Fix Your Skin Problems
How to Wear Gold Eye Makeup for the Holidays
Pro Tips from a Celebrity Manicurist: DIY Nail Art
Natural Makeup Tutorial
Melissa Gains Back Her Confidence
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...