A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skirt help needed.  (Read 489 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oldschoolglamour
« on: March 21, 2008 12:59:49 AM »

Why do people make 5/6/7 gore skirts? Is there any visual difference between making those and making a skirt from two pieces of cloth?

And I want to make a skirt that is flouncy and has movement, any tips on how to do that?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008 01:09:44 AM »

there is a difference...now, i dont know if this is the *technical* reason, but i do know what i have experienced and observed

multiple gore skirts cause a much more springy effect. you can take identical skirt designs, altered only by the number of pieces sewn together, and the multiple piece will have more bounce (this is as long as you are using triangles/wedges, or if you gather at the top...straight pieces of fabric just wont bounce the way you want)

you also will want to make sure that you are using a lightweight-ish fabric and make sure that you seal the seams so it wont ravel as you wear it and wash it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008 09:48:50 AM »

The obvious visual difference is that you end up with vertical lines in the front and back of the skirt, which can be very flattering on many figures.  You can make different shapes if you use multiple gores, as MissDisney suggested.  Multiple gores are a great way to go if you want flouncy.  Here are some pattern ideas:

McCall 5429 - View B uses gores and godets (the little triangular pieces flaring out to the hem) to create a flouncy look
McCall 5056 - fuller, with an elastic waist, but same idea.
Butterick 5042 - this one uses swirly shaped panels to create a pretty shape
Butterick 4859 - this uses gores  to create flounces in the back only - for a great "walk away" view Wink

Anyway, I hope that gives you an idea of some of the things you can do.  When I look at patterns, I always like to look at the line drawings so I can see where the seams are because sometimes it's difficult to tell on the fabrics they use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008 06:14:55 PM »

A big thing about gores is that people aren't shaped exactly like cylinders. If you add fabric at the sides to make a skirt fuller, there will just be more fabric at the sides. With gores you are adding fabric in the sides, the front, and the back. This creates a skirt that is fuller on the bottom and can be more fitted in the waist and hips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008 07:51:37 PM »

In general, gores are very flattering because they do the same thing Princess seams do, highlight the narrower portions while disguising the fuller bits.

I had a Laura Ashley sundress in the perfect shade of red that had a very full 4 gore skirt, and princess seams, and a square neckline (which is particularly flattering to my face). It was my 'get a man' dress because it was so incredibly flattering. Long after I knew it wouldn't ever fit again I held onto it. I have tried to repeat it, but not quite mastered the exact placement & fullness of the gores to make it just like that LA dress. At least I gave it to someone I know so I can still refrence the dress Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oldschoolglamour
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008 12:48:39 AM »

Thanks, everyone! Cheesy Much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fellybabe
fashion is like my skin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008 01:59:33 PM »

I tried d 4gored skir t and i got it.very interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

can't do without my hubby and fashion
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Two Ways to Style the Mom Jean Trend
Summer Style Tips
Trend Report - All About White
Spanx: Good For Your Silhouette, Bad For Your Health?
The Best Swimsuits for Your Body Type
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...