A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Not positive, but not negative?  (Read 3791 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 20, 2008 03:42:59 AM »

What does an organizer do when someone sends something/anything/any old crap as the swap package?

According to Craftster guidelines, as long as they've sent, they get a positive.

What do you do when they say repeatedly that they're about to send, and the postmark is 2 weeks late?
When what they've sent is old, used and stained?
When what they've sent so clearly shows they paid no attention to the questionnaire from their partner?

I think there needs to be another feedback category, something like Neutral, to allow for "yes, they sent, but they didn't follow the communication guidelines, they didn't follow the spirit of the swap, and they really stuck it to their partner"

Anyone else ever faced this issue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008 05:12:58 AM »

Every few months, someone seems to have these questions.  Because it happens few and far between, and each situation is different, we are more than happy to review specific situations & facts via the Help Desk (you already know this, but for anyone else stumbling into this thread).

• If someone sends late, include "Sent package X days late" in their comments.  It's easy peasy to include these comments and then they'll be available for future organizers.
  • We will never judge quality of crafted items.  You cannot make assumptions regarding quality, age, etc.  Again, we will review unique situations, but the facts are what are important here.
  • Again, no assumptions, please.  The questionnaire is a guideline, not a shopping list or mandatory requirement sheet.  Swappers post stalk, Wist stalk, use questionnaires and other methods when crafting for their partners.  If you have doubts as to why your partner sent you something, perhaps you could ask them in a kind and polite fashion.

I don't personally like the idea of a Neutral feedback category because it's a grey area.  If there are issues regarding send times, communication, etc., the Comments section is available to all organizers with specific facts.

• As an organizer, you can refuse anyone from joining a swap (with good reason).  If you review their Comments and see that they are a habitual late sender, you can express this to them and deny their participation in the swap.
  • As a participant, if you get the same partner again, you can request to the Organizer that you be partnered with someone else.

As we've stated time and time again, swapping is a gamble.  You won't always receive "the perfect package."  Take the good and leave the bad.  If you get something you don't like donate it, regift it, tear it apart and reuse it.  Just be sure to post photos in the gallery and thank you partner first! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
jewelaroni
I'm a PInja RoBoy!

The owls are not what they seem.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008 09:54:13 AM »

This has happened to my sister twice and someone else in a swap I was in.

It's really disappointing, in fact there's one swapper who, when I see in a swap, I have to request not to be partnered with. She's done a lot of swaps, but never sends the full amount of stuff, and sends things that basically have nothing to do with the swap, or their partner. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Grapenuts, Carl."

I'm taking a break from swaps. :'(

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
I <3 Dale Cooper.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008 09:55:56 AM »

This has happened to my sister twice and someone else in a swap I was in.

It's really disappointing, in fact there's one swapper who, when I see in a swap, I have to request not to be partnered with. She's done a lot of swaps, but never sends the full amount of stuff, and sends things that basically have nothing to do with the swap, or their partner. 

Please use the Help Desk to report the specific facts regarding these instances to us.  Send us links to the swap signup thread, pictures of what she sent in the gallery, etc.

We will investigate instances like this and do our best to prevent them in the future.  We can't help, if we don't have the facts, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jewelaroni
I'm a PInja RoBoy!

The owls are not what they seem.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008 10:12:00 AM »

It happened a while ago, but I'll definitely keep a look out in the future... also, she seems like she may have gotten a little better. I just went and checked her more recent swaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Grapenuts, Carl."

I'm taking a break from swaps. :'(

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
I <3 Dale Cooper.
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008 07:34:59 PM »

i had this happen just recently. i by no means expect my partner to make a perfect package but to at least have the courtesy to take 5 mins and check back posts or wists or heck pm me with questions. that is the whole purpose of the questionnaire. so that you have means of contacting, or just stalking your partner.

i would never judge quality but PLEASE use materials that are not toxic and don't arrive smelling of fumes   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008 04:53:42 AM »

i had this happen just recently. i by no means expect my partner to make a perfect package but to at least have the courtesy to take 5 mins and check back posts or wists or heck pm me with questions. that is the whole purpose of the questionnaire. so that you have means of contacting, or just stalking your partner.

i would never judge quality but PLEASE use materials that are not toxic and don't arrive smelling of fumes  

Please use the Help Desk to report the specific facts regarding these instances to us.  Send us links to the swap signup thread, pictures of what he/she sent in the gallery, etc.

We will investigate instances like this and do our best to prevent them in the future.  We can't help, if we don't have the facts, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008 12:59:13 PM »

• We will never judge quality of crafted items.  You cannot make assumptions regarding quality, age, etc.  Again, we will review unique situations, but the facts are what are important here.

Hmm, but what about if you can see what they've crafted for themself is 100x better than what they've made for their partners.  I know of a number of craftsters here that are definitely not giving much thought to what they are making for their partner and it seems like they are taking advantage of someone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008 01:01:40 PM »

Hmm, but what about if you can see what they've crafted for themself is 100x better than what they've made for their partners.  I know of a number of craftsters here that are definitely not giving much thought to what they are making for their partner and it seems like they are taking advantage of someone.

It would have to be a pretty obvious to us.  We can review specific situations via the Help Desk, but even then, if we don't notice a pattern of such behavior with that member, there is not much we can or will do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ursulaandolive

ursulaandolive.etsy.com

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008 11:35:06 AM »

I don't personally like the idea of a Neutral feedback category because it's a grey area.  If there are issues regarding send times, communication, etc., the Comments section is available to all organizers with specific facts.
    • As a participant, if you get the same partner again, you can request to the Organizer that you be partnered with someone else.

This is good to know.  I've done several swaps and had some great partners and some not but was just getting to the point of wondering "what would happen if I got in a swap with xxx again?"  I thought it might be bad form to ask the organizer not to be paired with someone in particular, but you're saying it's okay which makes me feel better. 

On the other hand, I haven't organized a swap myself yet, but does this happen often (people requesting not to be partnered with specific others that is)? and then doesn't that get tough on the organizer if they've got lots of people making these requests?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Grok Spock!
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    How to Create a Monkey Puppet
    How to Make a Rug Out of Scrap Fabric
    How to Weave with a Loom
    How to Spin Yarn on a Spinning Wheel
    How to Use a Shuttle on a Loom
    Latest Blog Articles
    Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
    "Z" is for Zombie!
    Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...