A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Not positive, but not negative?  (Read 3757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 20, 2008 03:42:59 AM »

What does an organizer do when someone sends something/anything/any old crap as the swap package?

According to Craftster guidelines, as long as they've sent, they get a positive.

What do you do when they say repeatedly that they're about to send, and the postmark is 2 weeks late?
When what they've sent is old, used and stained?
When what they've sent so clearly shows they paid no attention to the questionnaire from their partner?

I think there needs to be another feedback category, something like Neutral, to allow for "yes, they sent, but they didn't follow the communication guidelines, they didn't follow the spirit of the swap, and they really stuck it to their partner"

Anyone else ever faced this issue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008 05:12:58 AM »

Every few months, someone seems to have these questions.  Because it happens few and far between, and each situation is different, we are more than happy to review specific situations & facts via the Help Desk (you already know this, but for anyone else stumbling into this thread).

• If someone sends late, include "Sent package X days late" in their comments.  It's easy peasy to include these comments and then they'll be available for future organizers.
  • We will never judge quality of crafted items.  You cannot make assumptions regarding quality, age, etc.  Again, we will review unique situations, but the facts are what are important here.
  • Again, no assumptions, please.  The questionnaire is a guideline, not a shopping list or mandatory requirement sheet.  Swappers post stalk, Wist stalk, use questionnaires and other methods when crafting for their partners.  If you have doubts as to why your partner sent you something, perhaps you could ask them in a kind and polite fashion.

I don't personally like the idea of a Neutral feedback category because it's a grey area.  If there are issues regarding send times, communication, etc., the Comments section is available to all organizers with specific facts.

• As an organizer, you can refuse anyone from joining a swap (with good reason).  If you review their Comments and see that they are a habitual late sender, you can express this to them and deny their participation in the swap.
  • As a participant, if you get the same partner again, you can request to the Organizer that you be partnered with someone else.

As we've stated time and time again, swapping is a gamble.  You won't always receive "the perfect package."  Take the good and leave the bad.  If you get something you don't like donate it, regift it, tear it apart and reuse it.  Just be sure to post photos in the gallery and thank you partner first! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
jewelaroni
I'm a PInja RoBoy!

The owls are not what they seem.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008 09:54:13 AM »

This has happened to my sister twice and someone else in a swap I was in.

It's really disappointing, in fact there's one swapper who, when I see in a swap, I have to request not to be partnered with. She's done a lot of swaps, but never sends the full amount of stuff, and sends things that basically have nothing to do with the swap, or their partner. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Grapenuts, Carl."

I'm taking a break from swaps. :'(

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
I <3 Dale Cooper.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008 09:55:56 AM »

This has happened to my sister twice and someone else in a swap I was in.

It's really disappointing, in fact there's one swapper who, when I see in a swap, I have to request not to be partnered with. She's done a lot of swaps, but never sends the full amount of stuff, and sends things that basically have nothing to do with the swap, or their partner. 

Please use the Help Desk to report the specific facts regarding these instances to us.  Send us links to the swap signup thread, pictures of what she sent in the gallery, etc.

We will investigate instances like this and do our best to prevent them in the future.  We can't help, if we don't have the facts, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jewelaroni
I'm a PInja RoBoy!

The owls are not what they seem.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008 10:12:00 AM »

It happened a while ago, but I'll definitely keep a look out in the future... also, she seems like she may have gotten a little better. I just went and checked her more recent swaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Grapenuts, Carl."

I'm taking a break from swaps. :'(

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
I <3 Dale Cooper.
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008 07:34:59 PM »

i had this happen just recently. i by no means expect my partner to make a perfect package but to at least have the courtesy to take 5 mins and check back posts or wists or heck pm me with questions. that is the whole purpose of the questionnaire. so that you have means of contacting, or just stalking your partner.

i would never judge quality but PLEASE use materials that are not toxic and don't arrive smelling of fumes   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008 04:53:42 AM »

i had this happen just recently. i by no means expect my partner to make a perfect package but to at least have the courtesy to take 5 mins and check back posts or wists or heck pm me with questions. that is the whole purpose of the questionnaire. so that you have means of contacting, or just stalking your partner.

i would never judge quality but PLEASE use materials that are not toxic and don't arrive smelling of fumes  

Please use the Help Desk to report the specific facts regarding these instances to us.  Send us links to the swap signup thread, pictures of what he/she sent in the gallery, etc.

We will investigate instances like this and do our best to prevent them in the future.  We can't help, if we don't have the facts, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008 12:59:13 PM »

• We will never judge quality of crafted items.  You cannot make assumptions regarding quality, age, etc.  Again, we will review unique situations, but the facts are what are important here.

Hmm, but what about if you can see what they've crafted for themself is 100x better than what they've made for their partners.  I know of a number of craftsters here that are definitely not giving much thought to what they are making for their partner and it seems like they are taking advantage of someone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008 01:01:40 PM »

Hmm, but what about if you can see what they've crafted for themself is 100x better than what they've made for their partners.  I know of a number of craftsters here that are definitely not giving much thought to what they are making for their partner and it seems like they are taking advantage of someone.

It would have to be a pretty obvious to us.  We can review specific situations via the Help Desk, but even then, if we don't notice a pattern of such behavior with that member, there is not much we can or will do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ursulaandolive

ursulaandolive.etsy.com

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008 11:35:06 AM »

I don't personally like the idea of a Neutral feedback category because it's a grey area.  If there are issues regarding send times, communication, etc., the Comments section is available to all organizers with specific facts.
    • As a participant, if you get the same partner again, you can request to the Organizer that you be partnered with someone else.

This is good to know.  I've done several swaps and had some great partners and some not but was just getting to the point of wondering "what would happen if I got in a swap with xxx again?"  I thought it might be bad form to ask the organizer not to be paired with someone in particular, but you're saying it's okay which makes me feel better. 

On the other hand, I haven't organized a swap myself yet, but does this happen often (people requesting not to be partnered with specific others that is)? and then doesn't that get tough on the organizer if they've got lots of people making these requests?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Grok Spock!
    rackycoo
    Global Moderator
    Swap Moderator
    Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008 01:17:59 PM »

I have organized several swaps and have never had someone ask NOT to be paired up with another participant, so it doesn't seem to happen that often.

On the other hand, I have asked to not be paired with someone, not because I didn't like her or her work, but because we were always signing up for the same swaps and had been partnered together a few times already. I thought it was time for us both to branch out a bit. Cheesy

If there's someone in particular that you wish to not be partnered with for whatever reason, I think it's much nicer to pm the organizer before signups end. That way there is no chance of hurt feelings, and it saves the organizer the trouble of re-assigning partners.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
    My blog: junk&stuff
    Pinterest
    brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
    « Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008 07:09:25 AM »

ok, so where exactly is the help desk? excuse my ignorance, or i might have read over it.

thanks

eta: ok, i found it. how do i state my grievances?
    i don't want to go on there and bitch, but i really feel heart-broken to what was done. how do i compose the "ticket"?
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2008 07:12:51 AM by brideOFkniterstein » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
    My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
    rackycoo
    Global Moderator
    Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008 07:14:57 AM »

If you have a swap related issue, just include the facts as you know them. Make sure to provide any links or copies of PMs that will help the answering mod to understand your issue. We'll do the best we can to help sort things out.  Smiley
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
    Pinterest
    brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
    « Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008 07:38:01 AM »

If you have a swap related issue, just include the facts as you know them. Make sure to provide any links or copies of PMs that will help the answering mod to understand your issue. We'll do the best we can to help sort things out.  Smiley

thanks
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
    My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
    SpottedFrog
    « Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008 09:44:31 PM »

I've voted for a Neutral before & I'll continue to vote for it.

I've been in a couple swaps in a row with a person that has shown some less than fantastic habits (not item quality). It would be mighty nice if as an organizer I could give a Neutral for poor communication, late sending & such.

I know,yeah, yeah, dead horse & all that. I think a lot of peole DO feel the same but are afraid of saying so.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    rackycoo
    Global Moderator
    Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008 06:00:41 AM »

You can't give them neutral, but you can put comments in their feedback about the issues you had with them. Also, next time you organize a swap, you may want to specify that you may not allow people to sign up if they have several comments in their feedback about poor communication, late sending, etc. If this same person tries to sign up for a swap you are running again, it is perfectly within your rights to send her a pm saying, "I'm sorry, but due to your history of poor communication and late sending, I am not going to allow you to sign up for this round."

Positive feedback with comments about poor performance is practically the same thing as a neutral, if you ask me. It's all up to the organizers to give accurate and fair feedback, and for prospective organizers to really check someone's comments to make sure that they are the type of swapper they'd like to have join their swap.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
    SpottedFrog
    « Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008 06:49:24 AM »

The real dilema is how to phrase it:
    "lazy communicator" "poor PM habits" "PM's only when reminded" "you will have to PM this person for all the info you need out of them"

All these just look bitchy to me, but they all fit.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    rackycoo
    Global Moderator
    Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008 08:35:23 AM »

"lazy communicator" "poor PM habits" "PM's only when reminded" "you will have to PM this person for all the info you need out of them"

I think as long as you report the facts without appearing biased, you are on the right track. "Poor PM habits" and "PM's only when reminded" are fine, where "lazy communicator" and "you will have to PM this person for all the info you need out of them" seem a little more emotionally charged and should probably be avoided. "Poor communication" or "little or no communication" would also probably work in this case.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
    sweets4ever
    Administrator
    Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008 08:46:32 AM »

I think as long as you report the facts without appearing biased, you are on the right track. "Poor PM habits" and "PM's only when reminded" are fine, where "lazy communicator" and "you will have to PM this person for all the info you need out of them" seem a little more emotionally charged and should probably be avoided. "Poor communication" or "little or no communication" would also probably work in this case.

Agreed! Smiley
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

gavagai
    « Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008 02:47:14 PM »

I don't really like phrasings like "PM's only when reminded" , since that seems to imply that that is a characteristic that the person always have. All we know is what the person was like in that particular swap, so I would prefer something like "PMed only when reminded" in that case. But maybe I am only marking words here... or rather marking tenses.  Wink
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Still wishing for a Tunisian crochet kit. Would be happy to personal swap for one. I have fabrics and all sorts of stuff to swap for.
    qazicat
    Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008 10:59:37 PM »

I have organized several swaps and have never had someone ask NOT to be paired up with another participant, so it doesn't seem to happen that often.

On the other hand, I have asked to not be paired with someone, not because I didn't like her or her work, but because we were always signing up for the same swaps and had been partnered together a few times already. I thought it was time for us both to branch out a bit. Cheesy

If there's someone in particular that you wish to not be partnered with for whatever reason, I think it's much nicer to pm the organizer before signups end. That way there is no chance of hurt feelings, and it saves the organizer the trouble of re-assigning partners.

I have organised a couple of swaps where one of the participants has asked not to be paired up with a particular person.  People usually have a good reason.  They have PM'd me before sign ups have closed and basically this is between me and the particpant and goes no further
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
    RondaS
    Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008 09:02:52 AM »

I have had a few that ask not to be paired to another participant for good reasons (past swap experience only once, more often because they were related to each other or were in the same town/area, or a general "please don't give me a first time swapper AGAIN"). I asked not to be paired to someone once because of neg swap experience with that person as an organizer and I was afraid my feelings would effect my swap performance towards her.

I understand totally why organizers should not be able to give nuetral feedback - I can see how easy that could be abused.

BUT - I would like to see an option where people who drop out of a swap before partners are assigned can be given a nuetral feedback of some sort rather than just be removed by a mod. Just so I know if someone that is dropping my swap has done it before, or if it is a pattern. I would like it to be something that only mods can do. Since they are the only ones that can remove a participant and organizers can't do it, than it wouldn't be extra work for them would it? Just the hassle of coming up with a category only they can submit.

Ronda
    Blessings!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
    rackycoo
    Global Moderator
    Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008 09:49:34 AM »

Actually, I kind of like that idea. Maybe instead of having neutral feedback, we could have a tally of "dropped swaps". Hmmm...
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
    TheSapphireMoon

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008 09:48:57 AM »

Actually, I kind of like that idea. Maybe instead of having neutral feedback, we could have a tally of "dropped swaps". Hmmm...

I like this idea as well too...kind of similar to eBay's bid retraction tally...so you will know if that person has a history of changing their mind basically, and looking half flaky.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
    http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
    PINTEREST
    http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
    50 Projects 2012
    RondaS
    Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008 10:16:08 AM »

that would be good - though a comment section or date they dropped or some such, in case someone had to drop a bunch all at the same time because of a crisis then got back into it later, vs just randomly dropping one to join another off and on...

Ronda
    blessings!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
    underthemountain
    Tutorial Contributor

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008 10:18:25 AM »

That would be nice.  I personally think that I prefer that someone drop out of a swap if they have a forseeable emergency, rather than those that go ahead and end up needing a swap angel.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
    Live aloha
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    Style Sound Off: Jennifer Lopez, Sandra Bullock & Kim Kardashian
    Snoop Dogg Aka Snoop Lion on Making Music With His Sons
    Paris Street Style in 90 Seconds
    10 Clever Clothing Hacks You Should Know
    Can Your Shoe Addiction Help Beat Breast Cancer?
    Latest Blog Articles
    DIY Summer
    Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
    July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...