A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ***Reusable Pads for African Women***  (Read 4552 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

k8kre8s
hand-made, not slave-made

power to the cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 19, 2008 09:11:11 PM »

many of you may have seen the always and tampax ads about young women in africa missing school because they don't have adequate menstrual supplies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw5Sth65_zs

well, rather than giving a developing country a bunch of disposable plastic waste, it obviously makes a lot more sense to provide them with washable, reusable pads that they will never run out of.

check out http://www.goods4girls.org/ to donate new, hand-made cloth pads. they are based in seattle.

i'm going to set the goal of making at least one per month out of my scrap fabric. join me! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008 09:11:36 PM by k8kre8s » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008 09:16:54 PM »

you know I thought that exact thing when I saw those commercials....this is a great idea!  I've been wanting to make some reuseable pads even though I am past needing them (you never know what will catch your crafty interest sometimes...)  thanks for the link Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FOC 2nd Chance Wishlist Swap  Jan 7/15 - Feb 6/15 

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
clrowi
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008 11:25:16 PM »

YEAH!! I *just* came across this on the net, and knew I had to come share it on Craftster, knowing I have seen some amazingly talented women stitching up reusable pads and liners!!

Thank you SO much k8kre8s for posting this. It is such rewarding task. 1)Help someone who truly needs it, 2)save our planet, 3)bust your stash, 4)do good, feel good!

As soon as I am able, I will join the band wagon, for myself, for my daughter, for you, yours and all women!! YEAH!!

PS, and aren't we fortunate enough that we have Craftster and it's amazing group of people to provide us with tutorials too??!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=231658.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18462.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=143557.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dianamariemtv

There's a bit of super hero in every mom :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008 01:24:36 PM »

Wow what a fantastic idea!  As soon as I have enough cash to buy some supplies I'll be sewing like a banshee! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlickMariaVic
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008 01:29:11 PM »

Ya that commercial never really made much sense to me. The World didn't stop when women had their periods before Tampax.  And I find it hard to believe that women in the village didn't stop to think of using reusable strips of fabric on their own. It leads me to believe its more likely to be a cultural thing, like menstrating is gross and will infect the school with the nasties. Its definately worth more investigation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
mdpa5
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008 09:04:36 AM »

Thanks so much for the link and wonderful idea!  I can't wait to get started on these.  I've already spread the word to my crafty friends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Karia
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008 03:34:30 AM »

I find this a bit odd...i'm sure they must have traditional ways of takign care of their menstruation. And while you could say it's about 'nasties' infecting other people, maybe they are encouraged to stay in etc to benefit themselves! i'd love to have to stay put in my house at that time of the month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
omfgkate
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008 08:00:41 PM »

I find this a bit odd...i'm sure they must have traditional ways of takign care of their menstruation. And while you could say it's about 'nasties' infecting other people, maybe they are encouraged to stay in etc to benefit themselves! i'd love to have to stay put in my house at that time of the month.

Actually, they don't do it for the benefit of the girls.  Even if *you* find the idea of staying home during your period appealing, these girls end up missing a lot of school.  And, like the commercial said, it can lead to them dropping out and not getting an education.  I don't think keeping women(or anyone) uneducated should ever be the right way to go.  Plus, they want to be able to go to school and their "traditional" ways of dealing with menstruation are obviously not making it easy for them.  So, why not help them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008 07:12:00 AM »

I just find it hard to believe that these people are so dense they can't figure out that they could just reuse a rag downstairs every month. It must be something cultural. I can't help but feel that the commercial is BS to make women feel that the tampons they buy are doing good for the world, creating more sales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
Karia
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008 11:22:21 AM »

would it?  Huh why? I would love to stay home because a period generally lasts a few days a week - and mine are heavy, painful and debilitating. I really don't see how three-four days of one week per month are making tehse girls drop out of school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Craft Trays for Cars
Make It Easy: DIY Craft Trays for Cars
Egg-Stra Ideas for Easter
Clay Floral Wreath Tutorial
Recycled Fabric Clutch DIY Project
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...