A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,044
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Increasing hat size  (Read 364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missmuppy
« on: March 19, 2008 12:40:14 PM »

Hello! I've been crocheting for a while and just started learning to knit! I've made 2 scarves and am almost done with a hat. The hat is made as a rectangle to be sewn together. Now I am itching to make a hat in the round.

My issue is that usually hats end up too small for me. I don't have a freakishly large head, but seemingly larger than the "average" girl, as I can never find hats that fit in stores either. When I crocheted hats, I would usually just add a few rows and/or increase the hook size. Is this similar to what I should do when knitting? I know that knitting sometimes tends to stretch, but I don't like my hats feeling all tight.

For example, I may attempt the Kittyville hat from the SNB book. The pattern calls for a size 7 16" circular needle and size 7 DPNs. So to increase the circular needle, would I use a size 8 16", a size 7 18", or a size 8 18"? Does this make any freaking sense? Smiley How much would going up a needle size increase the size of the hat? And also, what would happen if I increased the needle size AND used a bulkier yarn? Would I end up with a gigantic hat?

Is this too many questions for a newbie?? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008 01:00:06 PM »

Are you doing brim-up or top-down hats? Smiley 

Top down starts with a small circle and increases, so you can try it on as you go. 

Brim up is  where you want to be careful with gauge.  Since this is your first, you might want to make the first few rows flat, then carefully join them after you've measure the hat against a real head. Smiley  When you're done knitting it's a simple thing to quickly seam that gap if you want to.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008 01:00:21 PM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmuppy
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008 01:08:54 PM »

Are you doing brim-up or top-down hats? Smiley 

Top down starts with a small circle and increases, so you can try it on as you go. 

Brim up is  where you want to be careful with gauge.  Since this is your first, you might want to make the first few rows flat, then carefully join them after you've measure the hat against a real head. Smiley  When you're done knitting it's a simple thing to quickly seam that gap if you want to.

Hmmm... I guess I didn't know they went both directions. Smiley The kittyville hat looks like its brim up. Thanks for the advice though, that gives me something to work with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008 03:04:00 PM »

Well, first of all, you can work the whole hat on DPNs, just be careful between needles to avoid laddering.  Otherwise, you can move up to a size eight needle, and that'll give you bigger stitches, or you can cast on more stitches on the size seven needles, which will give you a wider base.  Be careful when adding stitches, you have to compensate for them later when decreasing.

Also, don't forget to check your gauge!  If your gauge is a bit off on the bigger side, you may be able to swing it without mods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008 09:53:13 PM »

You could use the size 8 or even a 9 needle to make it larger; you don't need to have a longer needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
missmuppy
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008 11:42:37 PM »

Thanks all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Antwone Fisher Talks About A Boy Should Know How to Tie a Tie
Jimmy Gownley Reveals His Favorite Books
Terra Elan McVoy Talks About After the Kiss
Robert Ferrigno Reveals Who He Admires Most
A.J. Jacobs Reveals What Readers Think About Him
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...