A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: doggy easter egg help  (Read 1450 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wanderluster

give a hoot- don't pollute!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2008 12:40:06 PM »

this easter, we're planning on setting up a meaty-treat filled easter egg hunt for our pup Sid and our neighbor's dog. does anyone have any suggestions for how to hide the treats? i feel like they won't be able to smell them out if they're encased in those plastic ones.
really, any tips or suggestions on how to do this would be awesome.

and here's the big boy who will probably be so excited after finding ONE treat we'll have to collect the other ones for him anyway Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...and what I have seen is beautiful."

http://themargaritaglassishalffull.blogspot.com
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008 12:43:46 PM »

I used to have an annual "easter biscuit hunt" for my dog and his friends every year. I just hid biscuits around. Even then, they weren't that good at finding them unless they had some "help" or the ones that were close to where we started. Maybe stronger smelling treats, like liver training treats would be easier to sniff out.
If you must put them in eggs, maybe drill holes in the eggs? Be careful the eggs are not a choking hazard.
Have fun!
Maybe just hide one basket of treat (not in eggs) for each dog?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008 12:52:03 PM »

trail a treat along the ground to make a trail for them to follow?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
wanderluster

give a hoot- don't pollute!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008 01:38:45 PM »

batgirl- i'm glad someone else has done this! i think you're right, Sid is probably going to need the more obvious sort of "hidden" treats as he's a bit of a big brute, and his girlfriend Liberty can have the daintier egg treats  Grin we're going to do it in the stretch of path between our apartments (they're across the building) so it hopefully won't be too hard for them!

selnith- that's a good idea! we could make a secret chicken broth trail that wouldn't be offensive to the neighbors since he'd lick it all up haha. plus it would just be funny to watch him running along licking the ground!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...and what I have seen is beautiful."

http://themargaritaglassishalffull.blogspot.com
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008 01:41:56 PM »

LOL, I had mine in the courtyard of our old apt building, so, nope, you are not the only one! My dog is not great at finding non-obvious things, but then you should see the places he "hides" things, like rawhide on the bottom shelf of a bookshelf or under the coffee table. Yeah, he's not very slick. A scented trail is a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
13lovinghands13
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009 03:29:01 AM »

I am new to this site but am a great fan of Caesar Millan on the Dog Whisperer (National Geo channel).  I don't think it is a good idea to use plastic eggs.  There might be so much excitement that it might get swallowed whole--I think your dog is a mastif, beautiful, --not sure but one of those eggs could kill him/her.

Your doggie probably need practice using its nose a little.  I have recently started my lab-dalmation on a hunt for goodies.  I started by rubbing my hand with the treat, hiding the items in sort of plain site, letter Molly smell my hand and tell her to find.  I also provide hand signals and have also added up, down, and back.  It is good to challenge them. 

It has got to be terribly boring to just lay around and sleep most of the day.  As she progresses I can see that she is using her nose, more and more, like a bloodhound.  You could make your own biscuits-out of liver (free if you have friends living on a farm) and shape them like an egg ( you could use the plastic eggs to form the egg.  Be sure to share your biscuits with the friend who supplied the liver if they have dogs or cats.  Yes I said cats.  Good luck.  Judy
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009 03:43:39 AM by 13lovinghands13 - Reason: left out NOT TO USE PLASTIC EGG-LARGE DOG » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 2/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 3/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 4/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 5/5
Learn a Cool Effect for Your Pictures in Photoshop Cs4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...