A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finished is better then perfect....  (Read 963 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Colorado Deb
« on: March 19, 2008 08:02:21 AM »

This is my new motto.  I have quilts, quilt pieces, borders, kits, ideas, mistakes, and whatever else you can think of piling up in my corner of the world and at the top of all of that are felted sweaters ready to topple over. 
So today I am going to (said with strength and conviction!) finish quilting the one on the longarm, simple panto, and get those final 2 borders on the flannel and consider the top done. 

So I am curious.. is done better then perfect in your world? 

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.-  NuClia Waste

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008 08:16:19 AM »

I go for something in-between.  Kind of like a "done well enough" rather than perfect (or just done).  Some things look better if they are not perfect - for example, plaids in a quilt have more character when they are slightly off grain.  Too much perfection is a little boring, but poor construction is sloppy and unappealing.

One is less than three.
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008 10:44:48 AM »

i have a personal 'margin of error' i go by. sometimes it is strict (four patches) sometimes it is lax (oops i cut off a star point) sometimes i readjust as rows get sewn together...and as always i take the easiest road possible with bindings...

hubby often claims i am not picky enough or too darn picky.

as with life i find a flexible mindset helps get you through. 

that being said. i am caught up.  on everything. i have NO WIP's left.  i have NO UFO's kicking around. I am so excited. I can start a whole new pile of tops....

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008 08:34:16 AM »

done is always better than perfect, it's the imperfection that can give some things their beauty.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008 03:44:00 PM »

Chiming in with the in-betweens. I generally have a firm idea of what I want it to look like - but try to be flexible enough so that the darn things get done! A few times mistakes have become ways to do something I didn't 'have in mind' and have turned out well. Sometimes not!!

Also I think, especially with quilting, that they aren't meant to be perfect - they aren't perfectly, churned out by machine, identical, and accurate to the last millimetre things. For me they're suppose to look human made. Having said that I can appreciate the work and care that goes into those blazing star quilts to get them looking so accurate.

"...'twas brillig and the slithy toves,
did gyre and gimble in the wabe,
all mimsy was the borogrove,
and the mome wraths outgrabe..."
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008 05:00:53 AM »

I'm a margin of error person too.
If the person I'm making the quilt for isn't a sewer then the margin is greater. (they will never know were the mistakes are) But, there always has to be a but right?

If the errors are too noticable even for someone that doesn't sew, I will take it all apart and start again-anal, yes!

Recently I stippled a baby quilt on my machine and it puckered on the back, do you know how long it takes to rip out stippling?

I think the longer you quilt you either become more anal or more forgiving, depends on where you began I guess.

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008 01:13:32 PM »

I think it depends a bit on age Tongue

Right now in my life I am ALL about finishing.  I will let a lot of things go and I think it still looks great.

But I'm also in awe of the perfectionist gals in my quilting group.  I just need to finish more at this point.... maybe in ten years when I also reach 35 ;P

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008 11:09:32 AM »

I've been quilting on and off for 15 years and just this summer I got to see the exhibit of the quilts of Gee Bend and really realized it's the journey that matters not perfection. I had a bad habit of seeing all the inperfection in my work whether is clothing, quilts or machine embroidery and not seeing the positive stuff. But after seeing those quilts that those woman did with very little resources compared to what a lot of us have that frequent these computer  forums and still enjoying it just as much really gave me much inspiration. They didn't use fancy fabric mostly leftover clothing, no fancy sewing machines, just basic inexpensive machines. If you've never heard of them check it out on google.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008 11:13:56 AM by sewwolf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Insta Photographers
Inside Out Project: When Life Becomes Art
RAW File Basics
The Time of Day in Digital Photography
Digital Zoom Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...