A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first attempt at sewing with vinyl! A big chocolately/polka dot shoulder bag  (Read 2328 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 18, 2008 07:47:40 PM »

I had always wanted to try sewing with vinyl or leather because I think bags made out of those materials always look a little bit more professional. Well I saw this chocolate colored vinyl on the clearance rack so I had to get a yard of it. I grabbed the polka dot on the same shopping trip without even really looking at it, I just saw polka dots and had to buy them! When I was picking out thread I decided they looked nice together. I just realized my computer didn't scale down the photo very well, the stitching in the front looks better in person.

I had a shape in mind for this bag, and unfortunately this wasn't it. I made the angle on the sides too big. Since the bottom is an oval shape I figured the sides would just curve around but it didn't quite do what I expected. I think it still works though. I like having outside pockets, the other side is blank.

Here's the bag full of all my stuff. I made a removable cardboard bottom that's also covered in the vinyl. Other than that the bag isn't interfaced. The vinyl is pretty thick but it's not sturdy, but I wanted this bag to be slouchy anyways. The inside has a row of pockets on one side, just enough for my keys, phone, iPod, hand lotion and a pen. You can't see but it's all in there  Smiley

I love the way the green stitching looks against the brown. I'm pretty happy with this bag, and I think it's something nice that I can use when I want to have a classier bag, like for work or something. It took me a couple days to finish because of the straps. I had to wait until today to do the grommets because I didn't want my downstairs neighbors to complain about hammering at 11pm. I've never done this style of strap before but I've always liked it, I'll definitely use it again.

Thanks for looking! I look forward to your comments!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
winstongang

I like to move it move it!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008 07:51:58 PM »

Fabulous! The polka dot fabric is awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
http://fabulouslycrafty.blogspot.com/

~Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life~
Juaniece
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008 09:17:51 PM »

I really like this bag and the handles are awesome!  I've never tried those type handles, but you have inspired me to try those! (Yes, the hammer does make quite bit of noise banging those little round metal thingys in! My husband always complains!) 

You did a great job on this bag!  Was the "material" (read that as the vinyl/leather) hard to sew on? Any tips?
Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008 06:43:58 AM »

Fabulous! The polka dot fabric is awesome Smiley

Thanks! I love this fabric too, in fact I've decided to use it as the lining for a trench coat I'm going to make!

I really like this bag and the handles are awesome!  I've never tried those type handles, but you have inspired me to try those! (Yes, the hammer does make quite bit of noise banging those little round metal thingys in! My husband always complains!) 

You did a great job on this bag!  Was the "material" (read that as the vinyl/leather) hard to sew on? Any tips?
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! It wasn't as bad as I thought. I still can't believe my machine made it through 4 layers of the stuff without even breaking a needle. I did a bit of reading first and practiced some too. Here's a few tips I can pass on:

Make sure you use a long stitch so that you're not just creating perforations where the vinyl can tear. Also you have to actually pull the fabric through the feed dogs or the top and bottom don't go through at the same speed, especially if you have many layers. That can lead to straps that want to spiral! Last thing, it might seem kind of obvious but you can't iron vinyl! I tried it on the lowest setting just to press my seams and I melted a little section on the front, you can kinda see it in the picture on the bottom  Sad I think it was just the style I used on the bottom, but I can't get the seams to pop out, you can kinda see that in the picture too.

Hope this helps! Good luck with trying the handles, it's a neat style.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
destined657
super awesome, all the time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008 07:00:53 AM »

I love the chocolate brown color and the knots for the handles are a very nice touch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sylrpt
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008 07:04:27 AM »

Very cool purse - you will look very classy carrying this!   Good job for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemuffler
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008 10:07:53 AM »

i love this. i've been working with vinyl a lot, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamato2girls
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008 08:27:11 AM »

It looks great.  It reminds me of the purse I just posted, with the way the pockets are done on the outside.  Mine is just shaped a little different at the top.  Those outside pockets are great for cell phone, glasses, anything you want easy access to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juneapostrophe
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008 03:59:59 PM »

wow this is wonderful!  chocolate brown is my favorite color, so when i saw this i was absolutely drawn to it Smiley  the stitching looks great, and i love the combination of fabrics.  very professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley

now selling name book/banners in my new etsy shop--check it out!:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/juneapostrophe

friend me on facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tucson-AZ/june-apostrophe-by-naomi/138853086141015?ref=ts&__a=4&ajaxpipe=1
britsmarie
Broken Airplane

Hear Broken Airplanes Drop?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008 12:51:05 PM »

Oh my goodness, that does looke more professional. I shall have to invest in vinyl or leather now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turkey and Ginger Panini Recipe
Cambodian Stir Fried Tofu Recipe
Coconut Rice With Shrimp Recipe
How to Make an Indonesian Beef Stew
How to Make Thai Chicken Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...