A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY wedding invitations - advice please?  (Read 1490 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lexscreations
« on: March 18, 2008 12:53:20 PM »

My fiance and I can't afford to spend much on our wedding invitations (and that's putting it mildly).  We really want to make our own, and we are probably going to print them ourselves, but we'd like to do something with more of a personal touch than a store-bought DIY invitation kit would have.

I found an article online recently with an idea that sounded really appealing: using a maple leaf paper punch (we're getting married in November) to cut out leaf shapes on the invitation cardstock, and then putting colored paper (probably red, in our case) underneath.  I stupidly did not bookmark the site, and now I can't find the article again!  Any ideas on how I can do this, or something similar?  We want something pretty simple--no bows, no frilly stuff, just a nice Autumn theme.

If we go with the paper punch idea, how should we glue the 2 pieces of paper together?  Should I use a glue stick, or something else?  I don't want these to fall apart easily.  And what's the best kind of paper punch to use?

Is there anything cool we can do with the envelopes?

Any recommendations as to a good little calligraphy set with instructions, for addressing envelopes?  (My mom and I are going to try to do these...heheh...)

I have never done ANY kind of paper crafting before, so any tips would be much appreciated!

THANK YOU!!!

Lex
THIS ROCKS   Logged
all cut up
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008 02:06:03 PM »

I'm doing the same invites!  I'll take some pics right now and post them asap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
all cut up
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008 03:05:11 PM »

Here's a link to my post
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=234587.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morbidlovexox
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008 04:22:07 PM »

if you dont want frilly stuff you could always attach the paper by sewing. thats how I did mine. I'm getting married in september... also tree/fall/leaf theme. haha I guess its popular! don't use a glue that may warp your paper. a glue stick may work but really sticky double sided tape is a good choice, lays flat no warping. if youre weary of the hole punch thing try embossing powder. super easy and looks way elegant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it is not inertia alone that is responsible for human relationships repeating themselves, monotonous and un-renewed, it is shyness before all else.
zarafa
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008 05:05:39 PM »

we did something similar with our invites, but we used a corner punch.  the top layer is cream colored and the one that shows through is a metallic copper. 

we do have the same leaf punch that all cut up used and i want to try to find a way to work that one in as well.  i might use it on the programs or something.

As for how to stick the layers together, the woman paper store recommended these.  so far they have worked great.  we got a bunch of multipacks at the craft store.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008 05:13:36 PM by zarafa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

all cut up
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008 05:39:59 PM »

woman paper store recommended these.  so far they have worked great.  we got a bunch of multipacks at the craft store.

I used the same stuff but I just bought the refill and press them on myself.  They work well but you have to make sure you press hard or they sometimes come apart.

zarafa- I love your invites!  If had seen yours before I started mine I would have rethought my plan.  What did you use for the gold leaves?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zarafa
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008 05:50:31 PM »

thanks!  the gold leaves are stickers from martha stewart.  i originally found them at Michael's craft store and when i needed more i ordered them from her website here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity8080
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008 08:03:09 PM »

I designed mine in powerpoint, and typed up the text of the invite in Ruritania font (essentially old english) and since we are having a fairy themed wedding, I found a more grown up outline of an awesome looking fairy.  I printed it on white paper, colored the faery in our colors (purple and black) and then took it to the printers and had them printed on parchment.  We then trifolded the parchment and sealed with wax and an imprint of my husband's ring, and addressed them, and mailed them off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity, Working Mom to my Kindergarten Princess, and Loving Wife to Silver, the only man who completes my soul.

My Etsy Shop
zarafa
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008 08:18:32 PM »

And what's the best kind of paper punch to use?

the regular leaf punch i have, as well as the corner punch (which has three different corner punches in one) are both fiskars and they work great.  i would recommend checking out the scrapbook section of a craft store or going to a scrapbook store and looking at their punches.  there are all sorts that do all kinds of neat things.  corners, borders, punching, embossing... punching AND embossing combos.  its really kind of crazy, all the options that are out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Ribbon Rose Toppers for the Holidays
Turning Gingerbread Cookies Into Tree Ornaments
How to Make a Photo Memory Box
How to Make Leaf Print Holiday Wrapping Paper
How to Make Glitter Pinecone Hanging Ornaments
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...