A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plastic watch bands, old keyrings, timepieces, tie tacks etc.  (Read 609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gwydion
« on: March 18, 2008 09:20:06 AM »

So I'm going through my dad's stuff, and there are some truly amazing categories of junk.  Which of course I want to do something with, because it was my dad's junk. Smiley  I abandoned all hope of figuring out all the random machine parts and hardware, but I have a few odd little collections that seem promising:

I have about 200 keys and keyrings.  While keys are easy to use, I have no idea what to do with all the keyrings (mostly split rings, with metal, plastic, rubber, wood, etc. dangly things, both classic styles and cheapy promotional styles).

And what on earth can I do with a whole collection of brand new plastic watch bands?  (He used to buy the cheap plastic digital watches and detach the bands, then carry the watch itself around in a coin purse in his pocket).

Several old dead watches (metal cases, plain white face, but not "collector" watches-- just plain stuff from KMart or somewhere-- mostly my mother's)

A bunch of really old tie tacks and tie bars, some of which are broken.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fencerows
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008 05:51:23 PM »

Some thoughts

Old keys--- put all in a jar for decoration/ necklaces???
Key rings with tags or with keys or both --- decorate a Christmas tree with only these items as a rememberance of your dad/ or necklaces or bracelets
Tie tacs--- I used some to decorate my homemade bulletin board at the junctures of where the ribbons crossed.
Plastic watch bands  --again to decorate a tree or use to wrap around a can or jar for decoration.. use some kind of adhesive that would keep the bands in place and then have a multi-colored rings around that item/ or necklaces/bracelets

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eriny-Weriny

Always wear sunscreen!! Please.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008 02:28:03 AM »

With the keys you could make a mobile to hang outside or by your window. When the wind blows it will chime.
The only other thing you'll need is a couple of wire coat hangers, some wire cutters and some pliers.

All the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Time enjoyed wasting is not time wasted!" B Russell
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008 05:52:12 AM »

I've seen bracelets,ect. made with old watches-glass removed,a picture added,glass put back. Or taken apart for the lovely gears. I like old keys made into jewelry.Cover a blank journal, or a picture frame.keyrings are tough.Hmm...just the split metal part,put beads on them instead of keys,and link them together to make something?Could split wire keyrings be made into some kind of photo/memo holder? Plastic watchbands-you can heat fuse some plastic-I've seen plastic bag fabric on the eco craftalong, and sweetsforever's melted bead pictures,lampshades,ect. Good venelation a must,of course! Could they be made into strips and woven?Could the keyrings themselves-not the keys-become some kind of cheerful mobile or chime? Broken tie bars and pins made into brooches-use jewelry glue,wire wrap them, and or solder them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
gossamer_gull
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008 06:55:37 AM »

I bet the plastic watchbands could be glued to a picture frame...maybe lengthwise along the frame, with a few affixed diagonally (at the corners, maybe). Then you could frame a photo of your dad, or some scrapbooky collage --

Actually, that's another idea. Some craft stores have those 12"x12" wooden frames for framing a scrapbook page; you could decorate one of those with the odds'n'ends you have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zenthistle
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008 07:26:26 PM »

You could paint the watchbands and perhaps sew something  or attach something cool to the center to make you own  funky jewlery..  sew hand bags and use them as closer straps...  make a cool corset and use them as closure straps...  or a funky rain jacket..  Those will make some kind of cool matrix  clothing closures..

I decorated a birdhouse with all the odds n ends my daughter collected for  a year n half..   looks pretty cool..

All those metal things can make pretty nice sounds if you make a wind chime..

you could use the metal rings in some flower pot macrame ....

tie tacs.. decorat a styrofoam ball with ribbon (like velvet blue or some other dad color .. then pin you tie tacs..could be you christmas ornament..

tie tacs are kind of fun to decorate a cute hat with  .. or hold ribbon in place on your hat or lapel.. or hold a scarf in place..   you could snip off the point.. and  use very strog glue to attatch to ribbon so that you can wear it..

the  tie tac's  you could  take in to a jewler and have them melt them down may be redesign in into something you could wear..  (it would get used and you would think of him every time.. )

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008 07:31:55 PM by zenthistle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Elegant Hair
How to Style Frizzy, Curly Hair
How to Style Super Short Hair
How to Use Plastic Hair Rollers
How to Use Hair Setting Lotion
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...