A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skirt with shawl accent WARNING: knitting abuse (with tute!)  (Read 3878 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 17, 2008 08:54:13 PM »

Ok, please don't be mad at me knitters!  This post contains cut up laceweight handknit shawls.   Lips sealed  I know, i know.

I bought this shawl at SalAl because I felt sorry for it.  Obviously handknit, and well made, and totally unwanted!  I had no use for it, it was made of acrylic and I don't know what you'd do with it, honestly, so it just laid around my apartment until I came up with the following idea.

1. Take a plain skirt you never wear
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee180/sparrowpigeonowl/march08019.jpg
2. Fold shawl around it to sort of see how it would go, cut off excess.

3. Cut sides to make darts, sew darts on the side to make shawl lie flat around the skirt, cut out slit for zipper.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee180/sparrowpigeonowl/march08022.jpg
4. Sew to waistband of original skirt, whip stitch zipper slit, add trim cut off from excess fabric and sew it over all the layers at the top

5. I didn't do this, but I need to: stitch shawl to skirt in front so that it does not sag downwards unevenly, as seen in this photo:

This skirt is SUPER warm, so be careful to sue a lightweight skirt to begin with.  I really like the way it looks and at least I can assuage my cutting up handknits guilt by knowing it's actually being used.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012 10:29:24 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008 09:02:20 PM »

I think it's very very cute! It's better that the shawl is being loved than staying intact.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
osmate77
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008 09:13:33 PM »

That is a wonderful idea Smiley  It makes the skit look so elegant and sort of vintage.  I really really like that and will have to cast an eye about the thrift store the next time I am out to see if I can find any knit shawls.  Really, I love this.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainbow owl
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008 12:01:39 AM »

i love this too! what a pretty and fun way to use a shawl that needed some love.

[ETA: *use] whoops!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008 09:41:30 AM by rainbow owl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008 07:16:32 AM »

Knits need to be loved and used more than they need wholeness. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008 04:58:33 AM »

What an awesome idea!  Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
roundhouseknitter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008 05:26:36 AM »

hey, that is so gorgeous! i love knitting but to be honest i'd be the first to frog a thrift purchase if i wanted the yarn! and the first to rip, rip, rip something out if i didn't like how it came out! i'll tell ya, that is the most amazing use of material i've seen for a while. it's a great idea! but how did you sew it so the knitting didn't unravel? with a machine or all by hand? both sounds kinda hard!

thanks for sharing your project! enjoyed it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008 05:39:21 AM »

Aw, I don't think it's abuse at all, just another kind of love!  It's beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008 11:00:24 PM »

Thanks guys!

hey, that is so gorgeous! i love knitting but to be honest i'd be the first to frog a thrift purchase if i wanted the yarn! and the first to rip, rip, rip something out if i didn't like how it came out! i'll tell ya, that is the most amazing use of material i've seen for a while. it's a great idea! but how did you sew it so the knitting didn't unravel? with a machine or all by hand? both sounds kinda hard!

thanks for sharing your project! enjoyed it.

In all honesty, I just cut & sewed!  It didn't unravel, I am guessing it is about 20 yrs old and it was sort of felted/melted together, plus it was acryclic...if you had something nicer you'd have to be a lot more careful I'm guessing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
roundhouseknitter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008 09:34:12 PM »

Cheesy lol! felted/melted. yeah i can see your point. but your skirt is sooo cute! i still say that is one amazing way to use material! never seen the likes of it!

thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Interview With Comedian Trevor Boris
Interview With Comedian Laurie Elliott
The Father of Standup Comedy Wayne Flemming
Chatting With Comedian Jazz Mann
How to Package a Letter with an Inflatable Die
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...