A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,035
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Humpty Dumpty Toy & Tutorial  (Read 1815 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thelongthread
« on: March 17, 2008 07:38:47 PM »

Here's a Humpty Dumpty toy that I made.  He is two pieces attached with velcro, so he CAN be put back together again!

Supplies:
Fabric (scraps or ¼ yd each canvas and ticking stripe)
Matching thread
Fabric pen
Buttons for eyes
Red embroidery thread
Embroidery needle
Pipe Cleaners (two 6” pieces and two 7” pieces)
Velcro, sewable (6”)
Sewing Needle
Safety pin or bodkin for turning fabric tubes
Thin cardboard
Stuffing (polyfill, buckwheat hulls, etc.)

Note:  All seams should be ¼ inch (except on hands as noted).  I think this pattern would be really cute in patchwork.  If you do not want to make this as a detachable toy, you can omit the circles and just sew the top and bottom together. 

Step 1: CUT FABRIC
Cut fabric and cardboard according to template (found here: http://thelongthread.com/?p=431).  To make striped fabric aligned, fold over fabric and cut two pieces at a time, then cut next two pieces with matching stripe alignment (pictured below).  Cut pipe cleaners to size specified in supplies list.  Cut velcro in 3” strips.

Step 2: HEAD
Sew head pieces along side seam right sides together with ¼” seam.  Be sure to mark ¼” from the tip of the triangle and stop there (picture below).  Sew two together, then add next piece, and so on.  I reinforced all of my seams on this project with an overcastting stitch.

Step 3: FACE
Mark face with fabric pen.  Sew buttons for eyes and sew mouth with embroidery thread.  I used a variation of a chain stitch for the mouth.

Step 4: ARMS & LEGS
Sew hands and feet.  Sew two pieces, right sides together to form each hand and foot.  I simply used an overcastting stitch which gave me less than a ¼” seam.  Turn them right side out by squeezing the fabric tube open and pushing the tip down inside itself (see photo).  I used tweezers to pull out fabric and a closed pen to push.

Sew legs and arms.  Fold over fabric and sew right sides together.  Pull fabric tubes right side out by attaching a safety pin to one end, pushing it down and feeding it through the tube.  Alternately, you could use a bodkin or string sewn into the end.  There are many methods for doing this so find the one that works for you.

Insert pipe cleaner into a hand.  Sew in place.  Then fold down end of the arm and insert pipe cleaner through it (see photo).  Then fold hand until it fits into arm sleeve.  Sew in place (you may have to push this through your machine).  Repeat with other arm and legs.

Note: If you don’t feel comfortable sewing over the pipe cleaners, then just place the pipe cleaners through to the end of the arm.

Step 5: SEW BODY TOGETHER
Place leg and arm in position as pictured below with fabric right sides together.  Pin in place and sew.  Sew other leg and arm on the other side of the main body piece.  Then sew back piece in place.

Step 6: CIRCLES
Mark the center of each of your fabric circles, then measure two inches and mark on either side.  This should be where you place the inner side of your Velcro strips.  Sew two 3” strips of velcro (loop side) onto striped fabric.  Make sure that your stripes will be aligned with your velcro and body piece.  Sew two 3” strips of velcro (hook side) onto the plain fabric.

Turn head inside out and pin circle to the underside and sew slowly, leaving back section open for stuffing.  Repeat with the striped fabric circle for the body.

Step 7: STUFF AND FINISH
Carefully fold cardboard circles and insert into each piece.  Fill with stuffing of your choice.  I used buckwheat hulls for the bottom and polyfill for the top.  Fold over seam, pin and hand sew in place. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Breninja
Your life is yours to create

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008 07:50:29 PM »

this made me smile, great idea!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008 08:01:34 PM »

What a fantastic idea! My kids would love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

strawberrieshk
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008 02:25:40 PM »

right now, eggs across the nation are cheering you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi
Pinky Damone
recovering..slowly but surely

My sewing machine is its own special brand of hell

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008 07:00:11 PM »

I think it's awesome that he can be put back together again. simply awesome! rock on girlie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY ETSY IS BEING CONSTRUCTED!
www.pinkydamone.etsy.com

PINY DAMONE BLOG
www.pinkydamone.blogspot.com

THIS WIST IS BANANAS! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
http://www.wists.com/NiRoshaK
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Joker from Batman
How to Draw Oswald Rabbit
How To Draw Panda Hinata
How to Draw Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls
How to Draw Cosmo from Fairy Oddparents
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...