A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Proud mama: baby blanket (and first-ever project)  (Read 2142 times)
Tags for this thread: blanket  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2005 09:56:39 AM »

I learned to knit just after Christmas, and decided that for my first project I'd make a baby blanket for a friend who's expecting this spring... (Flat, no shaping required, basic stitches only.) It took exactly three weeks to knit up (though I haven't yet dealt with the loose ends or blocked it out). I basically made up my own pattern, which was 121 stiches wide, with a seed stitch border (10 rows, top and bottom, and 8 stitches on either side) and stockinette in the centre. I'm so thrilled with the result! It's not quite perfect (there are a couple of little holes, I'm not entirely sure how they got there but I think I can mend them invisibly enough) but hey, for a first project, I'm happy!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010 09:10:35 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Knitrageous
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005 09:57:57 AM »

Looks great! Keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Learning how to knit was a snap. It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005 11:16:28 AM »

that's beautiful! so well done, even if it weren't your first project. what yarn did you use? it looks really soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
PhishyWishy
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005 12:24:12 PM »

That looks amazing! The yarn looks like the Bernat Denim? Is that right?
I have yet to start the blanket I'm planning for my 2 year old daughter. It's in the book Adorable Knits for Toddlers.

I think your friend will be thrilled! Good job Smiley

~Jess~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005 02:15:17 PM »

Thanks, everyone. The yarn IS Bernat, but it's actually their Softee Chunky rather than their Denim --- it's the exact same two shades as the blue-and-white Denim yarn, but a slightly different twist and, I think, a shade or two heavier. I know very little about choosing yarn, but I have a baby blanket that my aunt knit for me when I was born, and I still use it as a lap rug when it's chilly, so I figured that if it could stand up to 24+ years of heavy rotation, then that kind of yarn would be a good, safe bet. I went yarn shopping and matched the weight and feel of the yarn in the old blanket as closely as I could, and the Softee Chunky was the result! Soft AND washable, what could be better?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
marnewein
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005 06:57:37 PM »

The blanket looks nice and cozy.  I just love seed stitch borders.  If you are ever up for knitting another baby blanket you might want to try the Big Bad Baby Blanket (from SnB), it is similar to your design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karenie
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005 08:29:23 PM »

that looks really excellent, what a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life, in a knitterly fashion
http://knitterlyfashion.blogspot.com
Ananas
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005 12:05:30 PM »

That is a great first project! I can't see any holes from the pictures. Or any mistakes! I can only imagine the wonders of your knitting future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trufflegirl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005 12:12:41 PM »

That is a great first project! I can't see any holes from the pictures. Or any mistakes! I can only imagine the wonders of your knitting future.

*evil cackling*

It's genius! The reason you can't see the mistakes is that I used busy yarn. Believe me, if the piece were knit out of solid-colour yarn, the errors would jump out at you much more clearly! Mwah-ha-ha-ha!

Seriously, thank you for the encouragement. I'm about to go upstairs and frog a project that's not working out, so it's good to have some positive feedback about my ability! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smrfchic
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005 12:36:53 PM »

That looks gorgeous!

I'm crocheting a baby blanket from the Bernat baby coordinates... i have to say, I am really pleased with the durability of their baby yarns.  They do hold up really well to machine washing and drying, and all the rough and tumble stuff that kids might put them through.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
GQ Fashion Week Report in Milan
Back-to-School Saturday Haul with Brittany Balyn
Back-to-School Saturday Haul With Shannon Barker
Jeanius - Jane Herman Bishop on Her Favorite Jeans
How to Wear Pajama Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...