A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,915
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Conversion Gift  (Read 1785 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmphipodGirl

More projects planned than executed.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 17, 2008 03:42:27 PM »

My friend S is converting to Judaism, and I found out last week that her conversion ritual and public ceremony are today.  So I worked as fast as I could to do this:

It's the first three verses of Psalm 96, in the original Hebrew.  She's taking the name Shir, meaning "a song", and the synagogue where her ceremony is taking place is Shir Hadash ("a new song"), and of course she will herself be a "new song".  The passage begins "Sing to G-d a new song" and seemed perfect for the occasion.  I stitched with #5 pearl cotton on 14 count aida.  I now think it would have come out smoother if I'd used #8, or two strands of floss, rather than the #5.  The words are backstitched in a Hebrew font I designed, and the border is double running stitch.  I framed it very simply, without stretching, just sandwiching it between glass with a blue paper backing to keep the carry-overs between letters from showing.  (I started a new thread for each word, but did carry-overs from letter to letter within a word.)  Since I dodn't mount or stretch it, she can sew it onlo something if she likes, such as a tallis bag (bag for carryign a prayer shawl).

I'll put the alphabet up on my website for others to use, since I couldn't find a backstitch aleph-bet online.  (I'll add a pointer to it from this post when I've done so.)

Here is the framed piece:

Edited to add: if you want to see the whole aleph-bet so you can stitch something in Hebrew, you can find it here.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008 04:29:38 PM by AmphipodGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for a FREE vintage embroidery transfer of mushrooms (more info in profile).
6differentways
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008 03:45:41 PM »

that is beautiful, and so thoughtful! great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hearts Need A Beat
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008 03:51:42 PM »

That's gorgeous! I'm sure she'll love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention college kids, stay at home moms, and anyone else who could stand to make a little easy extra money:
PM me about ChaCha. I swear, it's not an ad. I just saved myself on bills with this, and thought I'd try & help =]

Obama/Biden 2008!
procrastinating
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008 04:00:22 PM »

that is beautiful and so thoughtful!  you are a great friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allyinthevalley
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008 04:37:08 PM »

I'm not of Jewish faith, but I cannot imagine anyone not enjoying a gift as beautiful as that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008 10:43:37 AM »

What a nice thing to do...
Really pretty too, wonderful workmanship.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
sixblueirises
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008 06:04:00 PM »

Your work looks really beautiful, and I love that psalm. I'm sure she'll love her gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love instant gratification almost as much as I love parentheses!
mackymoo
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008 06:42:42 PM »

That is really great! I especially love the border. I am impressed with your speed as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmphipodGirl

More projects planned than executed.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008 08:12:39 PM »

That is really great! I especially love the border. I am impressed with your speed as well.

Thanks!  I adapted the border from something in The Beginner's Guide to Blackwork.

As for it being fast work, well, my main responsibility is taking care of my two babies, and when they're playing contentedly (which is more often than you'd think) I can get some stitching done -- if I'm sufficiently motivated!

Thanks to all for the positive comments.  My friend enjoyed the gift, and her daughter-in-law made sure to let me know there are lots of Bible verses containing her name, too, if I felt like making another.   Grin  (Her name is Mayim, meaning "water".)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for a FREE vintage embroidery transfer of mushrooms (more info in profile).
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Sierra
How to Draw Shadow
How to Draw Scar
How to Draw Santa
How to Draw Sakura Haruno
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...