A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you do with yarn you bought but won't use?  (Read 1315 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blueeyes1084
~Amber~

My husbands favorite color is blond..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 17, 2008 01:49:52 PM »

I'm just wondering. I have a habit of buying yarn because it's pretty then never using it.

I wasn't sure what to do so I am selling a shit load of it on ebay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you~

There's one good thing about making mistakes..... you learn great lessons from them!
kelliz
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008 02:44:34 PM »

I have a ton of yarn that I don't use!  I don't even think I'll ever use all of it.  Some I will keep just cuz I love it but I was thinking of getting some other knitters together for our very own yarn sale/trade.  Hopefully you don't lose alot of money on it from ebay.  I sold some really nice yarn on ebay and lost way too much money to do it again. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jints
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008 04:45:18 PM »

I usually turn all surplus or unwanted yarn into an afghan/blanket or sometimes slippers. your can mix together all sorts of colors and yarn styles and often also put several strands together. Result is a quite easy, interesting and useful item.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008 06:29:09 PM by Jints » THIS ROCKS   Logged
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008 06:00:39 PM »

I usually turn all surplus or unwanted yarn into an afghan/blanket or sometimes slippers. your can mix together all sorts of colors and yarn styles and often also put several strands together. Result is a quite easy, interesting and usefully item.
That's what I usually do too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megziewoodles

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008 03:37:30 AM »

I turn mine into toys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008 03:46:02 AM »

i have some mohair that i was given and could use, it just tangled up whatever i tried to do, so i've been using it was stuffing for little toys and stuff, but most of the time i have to limit myself when i'm buying yarn, i can only buy it if i can say "i am going to use that to make . . ." same with fabrics, if i can and will make something with it, i can buy it, it takes a lot of self control, but it stops me from drowning in supplies
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
blu40
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008 09:32:59 AM »

Keep it just in case,no seriously it goes to my mom or the charity shop Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheryl
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008 09:50:16 AM »

no good ideas... i have about 15 skeins i bought when a local craft store went out of business sitting in a bag for goodwill... i'm kicking myself for having spend money on it, but it's stuff in colors or textures i don't really like, so.  i don't know what else to do with it than give it away, and i'm not really sure i care enough to go through the hassle of selling it on ebay.   Undecided

now, though, i'm going to have to go through it and see if any will make suitable hair for a poppet.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
TAOJ

eating my strawberries

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008 12:19:54 PM »

If it is nice yarn, but just not your thing anymore why don't you join some of the swaps? There is currently signups for magic yarn ball and there was a yarnies scavenger hunt recently. Also if you are a member at raverly you can list it on your destatsh page and trade it for something you do want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiel
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008 05:35:47 PM »

I have a habit on buying yarn and material at good prices.   Recently in the last 2 years (just remarried) Crocheted up yarn that I had bought 15 years ago.  My biggest area is the thrift store....mine seems to have a lot of fabric and yarn out of Tuesdays.  But I have been good and only bought what I know I can use right away.  Last week 55 yards total of different material and 3 skeins of yarn (new) for $10.  So, don't throw it away.  Someone will want something and the yarn will perfect for them.  I made 30 hats and scarfs this past Christmas and some slippers.  So by by yarn hello new.  Now I am really trying to only buy enough for the project at hand.

Also,  What I do is get one of those totes that slide under your bed to store them in.  That way u know where they are but, won't have to stare at them.  Also, make things for charity.  With my left over yarn from the scarfs and things I crochet little burp clothes, bibs, booties and hats and took them to the maternity ward at my local hospital.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephen King Talks About N
Joanna Smith Rakoff Talks About A Fortunate Age
Meet Author Sean Covey
Gigi Levangie Grazer Talks About Queen Takes King
Joe Bennett Reads from Where Underpants Come From
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...