A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted Picture Frame Covers (With Instructions!)  (Read 5379 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

keylimegrl
« on: March 18, 2008 04:14:31 PM »

Hi all,

It has taken me three months since I made these to get around to post pictures and instructions.  Le sigh.  Anyway, I knitted picture frame covers for my mom for xmas.  They were a pretty quick gift, and I thought other people might want to make some as well, so I have posted a knitting recipe (it isn't a pattern, as picture frames come in so many sizes that the frame covers need to be be bigger or smaller depending on your frame.)  Anyway, here goes:

The finished product:

The Knitting Recipe:

1. Pick your needles and your yarn.  I suggest going two or three needle sizes down from whatever you would normally use for that yarn, as I think these look better when they are stiff and no actual picture frame shows through.

2.  Take the following measurements of your picture frame: the perimeter of the inside edges, the length from inside corner to outside corner, the perimeter of the outside edges, and the width of the actual frame itself.  (see diagram)

2. Knit your gauge. 

3.  The key to the picture frame is an inch of negative ease (at least) all the way around (my first one came out far too loose).  So, cast on whatever number of stitches will give you an inch less both lengthwise and widthwise than the perimeter of the inside.  Put a marker between the stitches designated for each side.  For example, if the inside of my picture frame is 6 inches wide and 10 inches long, and Im getting 4 stitches per inch, I would CO 20 stitches, pm, 36 stitches, pm, 20 stitches, pm, 36 stitches, pm.  Join for working in the round, being careful not to twist the stitches.

4. Work 5 rounds in 1 x 1 ribbing, increasing one stitch on each side of each marker (I like to m1, but it is up to you.) 

5. Switch to stockinette stitch, and keep increasing on each side of the markers.  Knit until the length of the work where you did your increases is the same as the length from inside corner to outside corner.

6. Staying in stockinette stitch, continue to knit in the round until you have worked enough stitches after you finished increasing to cover the width of your picture frame. (dont remove your markers)  You could even do a row less here if you wanted to.

7.  Start decreasing by doing paired decreases on either side of your markers in stockinette stitch.  (k2tog before the marker, ssk afterwards.)  Because were now on the back of the frame, you can either do this until the stockinette portion of the frame cover on the back is the same length as the stockinette portion of the frame cover on the front side, or more or less. 

8.  Work 5 rounds in 1 x 1 rib, continuing the decreases.  Bind off tightly.  Weave in ends.  Put on frame.  Voila!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Esjay82
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008 04:23:06 PM »

awww i think that this is a cute idea! great! i think it could be customised in many ways!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftykatt

Geek knitter <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008 07:32:25 PM »

Aww, very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Old-Fashioned Porridge with Dried Fruit
Waffle Potato Chips and Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe
Rachel Ray: How to Make A Week’s Worth of Meals in a Day
Ultimate Comfort Food: How to Make Shrimp & Grits
How to Use Holiday Leftovers in New Meals
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Knitting, Patterns Included
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...