A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fevered knitting, not a good idea!  (Read 1247 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KittenKaboodle

Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 14, 2008 07:01:38 AM »

Two weeks ago my kid came home from college with a present for the family: a flu bug making its way through the student population.  I decided that I did NOT have a flu and I could NOT take time off work.  Which went quite well until Thursday, as I was taken to the doctors with a temperature of over a hundred, a throat that felt like I was swallowing hot razor blades, a cough that wouldn't stop and aches that felt like I had run a marathon.

I had a secondary infection and my hubby was instructed to keep me at home. away from any sewing machines or any other work and to be sure I got plenty of rest.  I was to take antibiotics and some cough syrup with plenty of warning stickers telling me not to operate any machinery, and a note from the doctor saying "especially big sewing machines"

Perfect I thought!  I can learn how to knit socks!  I've been wanting to learn how to knit socks for a while, but I always have trouble at the heel, it requires time and patience, something I am occasionally short on.  Because I am couch ridden, my fevered brain reasoned, I can knit for hours without anyone stopping me!  And knitting needles are not (usually) dangerous machines I can safely knit and not injure anyone too badly.

I found my sock yarn, purchased months before.  I found my double pointed needles, holding flags in a lego city!  I found the instruction book!  I cheerfully and feverishly began to knit.  My huuby made sure I took the pills and the cough medicine and my boys didn't complain as I watched CSI:Miami DVD's all weekend.

There's something about the instruction for short rows and fevers that don't quite mix.  Or something about me not bothering to read the instructions carefully.  Or perhaps it was a defect in my measuring.  No matter what the cause, I now have a single, rather odd, too short for my foot and three times too large for my ankles sock.  I am quite proud of this, for reasons I don't understand.  I am now less fevered and looking at the book, with the steps carefully checked off, including five too many short rows, and the page on toe shaping seemingly missed.  Here's a picture of my sock.  I don't know if I should take it apart and try again, or keep it as a reminder to A. don't knit while feverish. B. Don't knit while on narcotic cough medicine and C. Take two days off when a flu starts, or seven days when I have no choice.

My only comfort is that it is vaguely foot shaped, only for a person with a four inch long foot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
therinennui
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008 07:09:48 AM »

Two words: Sock. Puppet.

(It looks like it would be perfect aaaaand you can pretend you did it on purpose!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get thee to a nunnery!"
halblingefrau

Skillz. I has dem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008 07:12:14 AM »

Great story.  I'd frame it in a shadow box and use it as art!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog | Wists

PM me for personal swaps.
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008 07:33:20 AM »

roflmao Cheesy. definately sock puppet - a monster I think
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
TLW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008 07:34:45 AM »

Whatever you do: don't take it apart!.
Either as sock puppet or as art, it will be brilliant.
Personally, it reminded me of a bag. Or a really good ('cause large) Christmas stocking.

On second thought: I should go with the art. Especially if that allows you to incorporate the story.
I laughed while reading it, and I laughed out loud when i arrived at this part:

looking at the book, with the steps carefully checked off, including five too many short rows, and the page on toe shaping seemingly missed. 
TLW

THIS ROCKS   Logged

No interesting signature yet........
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008 08:25:01 AM »

Congratulations on your new iPod cozy!  Tongue

Hope you feel better soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ddiana1979
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008 09:18:30 AM »

I really like the color you chose.  At any rate, if you know any children (or adults for that matter) who really like the Lord of the Rings, give it to them and tell them it's a genuine vintage Hobbit sock. Wink

Hope you're feeling better. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kentuckynucky

Changing the world one craft at a time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008 09:29:18 AM »

lol!  That's fantastic!  The whole story just tied everything together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittenKaboodle

Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008 09:19:32 AM »

I'm keeping the sock as is. It actually looks like a sock, which is better than some of my other attempts at "firsts"  And now that I'm feeling better and no longer swallowing razor blades, maybe this can remind me that taking a couple days off in the beginning means I won't be forced into taking a week off work later.  And there's still more than enough yarn to make *real* socks, which I still desperately want to learn.  I admire anyone who can make socks, hand knitted socks look so cool.

*~hobbit sock~*  for those days when woolly feet aren't quite enough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Chinese Vinegar is Brewed
What is the Origin of Vinegar
Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
Spicy Tofu Curry Recipe
Indian Corn Rice Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...