A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: another weekend...another weekender bag. brown/orange diaper bag. (image heavy)  (Read 5444 times)
Tags for this thread: weekender_bag , amy_butler  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinafish
« on: March 15, 2008 05:49:57 PM »

okay, i know there have been a handful of these shown on craftster, but i'm so proud...how can i not share!? this bag was so easy up until the end when i was putting together all the layers..ugh! thankfully i used a foot i had that is really handy for thick leathers and denim. it seemed to do the trick.

i didn't know what fabric to use for the interior, but since it was going to be used as my diaper bag, i ended up using the fabric i used on the crib bumper... http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=228416.msg2478947#msg2478947

anyway, here's my new diaper bag!

pieced and quilted exterior pocket. this probably was the most time consuming part, but i really loved the outcome.

front and back

attaching the interior

now on to the exterior

all finished!! the piping made it so hard to assemble at the end. i didn't stay with all one fabric pattern because i think the houndstooth would have been a tad much. i'm happy with the log cabin part of the bag. Smiley

i made elastic side pockets instead of the regular flat ones that were called out in the pattern.

top view. i also lengthened the handles so i could carry it easily over my shoulder

interior view. the pattern calls for no pockets inside, but i added a smaller pocket at the top for keys and little items and elastic pockets on either side of the bag at the bottom in orange for diapers and baby things. Smiley

oh..and last, but not least...here's my stroller. the orange color of the stroller obviously inspired the color of the bag as well. no baby just yet, so my little wheaten terrier is testing it out for us in this photo. Smiley

i know it's image heavy..sorry bout that! i can't wait to use it. i'm just so relieved that it's done so now i can start on my next project!! Smiley

anyway, thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008 06:22:39 PM by tinafish - Reason: fixing/adding photo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

expressmail

Addicted to knitting, but won't share used needles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008 05:59:51 PM »

YAY! FIRST COMMENT!
Wow! That is awesome! It's so hip and chic, very well done! I love the pattern of the quilting blocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't you hate it when people fill up their signature with random junk you could care less about reading but when you see how long it is you figure it has to be important so you keep reading but it's not worth your time and you just wasted a whole minute reading absolutely nothing at all? I do.
crafting in my cave
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008 06:02:39 PM »

Be very proud of your bag -- it's beatiful!! I love the fabric mix of the quilting and the houndstooth. You'll have so much more use even after needing it as a diaper bag. I love the elasticized pockets; I think they are much more useful that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew, what are you up to? http://asgchicago.wordpress.com/
sewing-girl
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008 06:06:35 PM »

AMAZING bag, you can be soo proud of that, the fabric is adorable, and they blend so WELL:D what pattern did u use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Victoria*
tinafish
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008 06:11:50 PM »

expressmail: thank you! i had a lot of fun with the quilting blocks...but i was definitely done after 6 of them. a friend convinced me to just do a solid brown on the back side because no one would notice anyway. glad i did that!

crafting in my cave: thanks! i agree i think i'll be able to use it long after the baby doesn't need stuff hauled around. it's definitely a little more gender neutral and not so "baby"-ish.

sewing-girl: i used amy butler's weekender bag. you can just do a search for her name and i'm SURE it will come up. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jktormala

I love my soldier!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008 06:12:53 PM »

That is ONE great bag.  When I clicked on it on the main page, I was like, what an awesome quilt this one is gonna be.  TURNS OUT EVEN BETTER AS A BAG!!  Way to go Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Military Themed Bags, Quilts & Other Items!
http://www.myspace.com/hercamotoo

BEAUTIFUL nature greeting cards, prints and other items!
http://www.zazzle.com/jktormala
juneapostrophe
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008 06:16:57 PM »

wow, this is gorgeous!  at first i thought it was a quilt and i was already impressed haha.  the seams look perfect; whomever is carrying that will certainly look classy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley

now selling name book/banners in my new etsy shop--check it out!:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/juneapostrophe

friend me on facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tucson-AZ/june-apostrophe-by-naomi/138853086141015?ref=ts&__a=4&ajaxpipe=1
audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008 06:25:23 PM »

I love the fabric combination! And I love this purse! It's really amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008 06:36:37 PM »

This is freaky awesome, I was just thinking of quilting this brown and orange plaid fabric I have and using it as a bag and you've inspired me! I love this, it's pretty much the coolest thing ever and I am totally wisting it.

Great craftsmanship and I can't wait to see what the next one looks like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008 06:44:34 PM »

Bitchin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mike Wazowski from Monster Incorporated
How to Draw Master Thundering Rhino from Kung Fu Panda 2
Selective Editing in Lightroom 4
Taking Advantage of Type Styles in Photoshop CS6
How to Draw Minions from Despicable Me 2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...