A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: circular needles?  (Read 714 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angelwings219
« on: March 11, 2008 02:02:06 PM »

i am new to circular knitting and would like to buy some needles, but my question is
         which brand?
         what length?
if there is anyone who can help with this, that would be great. i really hate seaming, and am not that great at it,so circulars is the way to go. plus i am avoiding some awesome patterns for the fear or circs.
                                                                thanks so much....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharripie
Knitter, Needlepointer, Quilter, Crafter

Born to Craft!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008 03:10:04 PM »

I know it's a smart-alecky answer, but it depends on the project. I like dpns for small projects like baby hats and mittens & gloves. I like circulars for projects that have lots of stitches, like shawls and blankets. I use straights for scarves, or other things that are generally flat or rectangular.

That said, I like my circulars just long enough to do the project. For example, I used 24" circulars to make a shawl for myself. But when I start a sweater for my husband, I'll probably get 32" ones to do it. My favorites are the Addi Natura bamboo needles. I have a couple sets of those in different sizes. I also have the Addi Turbo metal needles, but I don't use them much because they're so slippery. But I'm sure it makes some yarns knit faster.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008 03:11:50 PM »

as stated, the best length is really determined by the project, but as for type, i love me some bamboo, since the plastic or metal can be slippery, and i have enough trouble with keeping stitches on the circulars without extra slippage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Skellerz
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008 07:37:40 PM »

I detest dpns with a passion (I can't stand working with more than three needles, and even then, cables are annoying as hell), so I went out and invested in a KnitPicks Options Nickel-plated set, with a couple extra cord lengths and 40" circs for some of the smaller sizes.
I magic loop with them all the time and have yet to experience a problem.
I've worked with all sorts of yarns and I'm glad I got the nickel set, because I know working with the amount of cotton that I do that just having the wooden set would drive me up the wall.

So, to be short, I'd recommend 40" KnitPicks Nickel-plated circs, and depending on the financial situation, I'd recommend the interchangeable set.  They're awesome and it saves you a TON instead of buying every length in the fixed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008 08:47:27 PM »

So, to be short, I'd recommend 40" KnitPicks Nickel-plated circs, and depending on the financial situation, I'd recommend the interchangeable set.  They're awesome and it saves you a TON instead of buying every length in the fixed.
I agree with Skellerz about getting an interchangeable set, if you can afford it. I must have spent close to $100 on circs of all different sizes, in addition to DPNs but since I was gifted the Knit Picks Options Harmony interchangeable set, that's all I really need. If money's tight, I also agree about the 40 inch circ... that's a length that's versatile enough to do just about anything on, including magic loop (which I'm a big fan of).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mysoldiergirl
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008 12:34:02 AM »

I bought some Boye circulars and they suck. The transition from cable to needle is not smooth which means I'm always pulling my work up to meet the needle. So don't buy those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelwings219
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008 05:53:47 AM »

thank-you all so much...i was looking at some interchangeable sets but wasnt sure what ones to get. i will price them and hopefully have the money to invest...thank again Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Killer Bees
Just give me coffee and no one gets hurt!

I'm Tori's best friend........no, really!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008 09:23:17 PM »

I always go for the maximum when it comes to circular needles.  The Susan Bates brand is the one I love the best, but here in Australia I can't get them, so I go for the Aero instead.  I love metal needles but they are more expensive.  Still, I do a lot of knitting and I want something that will last.

Also, go for the longest length in the size of needle you need.  That way you can knit any size project and you don't have to buy a bigger size.  Much more cost effective.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Moriarty, what are you doing in that piano?"
"I'm hidin' "
"Don't be silly - Haydn's been dead for years."

The Goon Show
Skellerz
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008 09:57:52 PM »

thank-you all so much...i was looking at some interchangeable sets but wasnt sure what ones to get. i will price them and hopefully have the money to invest...thank again Grin
I've used all three of the major interchangeable sets (Denis, Boye, and KnitPicks) and I have to say I was most satisfied with the KP set.  Best customer service and fantastic needles.
It's about ten bucks more than the Denise set, but IMHO, it's money well spent.
And it saves you a TON later on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
White Cube_cotton String_350 X 350 X 350(Cm)_2000.Wmv
Body World Exhibition
Makerbot-Made 3D Zoetrope and 3D Sculptures
Creating the Vica Illusion Sculpture on the Makerbot
MakerBot Made Skull from Dissolving PVA Time Lapse
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...