A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amish Puzzle Ball Pincushion - another Tute, image heavy!  (Read 3910 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 15, 2008 02:54:00 PM »

I started with this tute by A_Patchwork_Orange which is a great tute and has a much prettier final product than mine is

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=102581.0

but I added more pics to this tute so those of us who are not so used to directions could have more visuals, as the first one I tried to do was incredibly hard to piece together and boggled my brain a bit until I had done it once!

so here is where I will start - since this is going to be image heavy all the pics are going to be clickable links

you will need:
*fabric - one or two colors, not much of either - about half a fat quarter of each unless you want to cut out particular objects in the material
*pattern
*stuffing material (I used poly fill)
*thread or embroidery floss
*needle (sewing machine optional)
*pins
*6 buttons or beads

after cutting out the pattern that A_Patchwork_Orange gave us

which is a football shape about 1 to 1.5 inches at the widest by about 2 to 2.5 inches at the longest you want to cut out 36 pieces to put together.

group them into sets of three:

they are going to be put together into 12 little three dimensional pieces that will look like this:

this is how that is done (this is one part where I was so darn confused because I needed it in my hand to see how it was done, so bear with me on the many pictures)

I used two strands of embroidery floss throughout the entire process. If you are machine stitching, you can use regular sewing thread and then use embroidery floss only if you want to do the border on the pieces.

first - place two of the football shapes right side of the fabric  together and baste them up one edge. I hand sew, so I basted but if you use a machine you can stitch fairly tight so as to eliminate most of the hand sewing later.

do NOT cut the thread

turn the two pieces and then match in the third piece of the trio so that it is right side of the fabric up against the right side of one of the first two

and stitch it along the edge - do NOT cut the thread!

then you want to turn it again, match up the two sides of the pieces that haven't been stitched together and go about halfway up that side - do NOT cut the thread if you are hand stitching, DO if using a machine

from the top you should have the three pieces matched together in a shape that looks like this

once you have it stitched about halfway up that last of the three sides, invert it so it is right side out

stuff it with some poly fill or whatever you like for stuffing

make it a bit loose, but not so loose that it goes flat

then you match up the edges of the open bit, turn the edges under so that you can close up the last of that seam

stitch it up with a simple whip stitch or whatever you are comfortable doing that will hold.

note - when I put the little piece together I made sure that this part was going to be on the edge of the football shape that was from putting the contrasting color material together as that is going to end up on the inside of your final product so if you don't want to handstitch around the whole thing and your basting or machine sewing is good for holding the pieces together you will be done making your little piece now and you can skip ahead a bit.

if you hand basted or want to do the decorative stitching, you can continue around all the sides with the whipstitch around the edges to reinforce the basted stitching

tie a knot at the end, and then instead of cutting it off, poke your needle through the piece and cut it off on the other side so when the piece relaxes, the end is tucked inside it.

do that 12 times.

now you have 12 pieces that look like that football shaped three sided three dimensional piece. or else you did something wrong and need to go back and figure out what happened (like I did a couple of times...)

so - next step is to stitch two of the pieces together, on the pointy end - make a knot in your thread and then attach one piece

to the next piece

tie a knot and run the thread through the piece again before cutting the end so the end is buried like that

then attach a third piece

tie off that knot and then you want to attach the free ends of to each other like the one in the front of this picture

continue to do that until you have made four sections that are groups of three

this is where I got lost again so I hope that all the pics in this next section are helpful

now you want to attach one of the tri-ads to another one at only one point

make sure you are double checking to make sure that the hand stitching isn't showing on the outer parts if you machine stitched, and that your pretty bits are on the outside

you then attach another pair of triads together

and then you fit the two pairs together but make sure that when you stitch it together you are going to end up with a ball and not a long piece that won't fit together

then stitch the last of the points together

so that finally you have a ball

like a dork I forgot to take a picture with the beads I added to it, so you will have to imagine it with something hiding all the little flaws on the points.

Hope this was a helpful post to someone

Ronda
Blessings!

ps - the finished pincushion is in a lower post on the thread, here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=233957.msg2557716#msg2557716

thanks for adding that jloveg!

Ronda
Blessings!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011 02:50:32 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed thumbnails to full size pics. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008 03:17:40 PM »

WOOO  HOOOO  thank  you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
RondaS

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008 03:40:14 PM »

WOOO  HOOOO  thank  you!!!

hey there!

hope it all makes sense and let me know if there is anything that could stand clarifying!

and would you add a pic of it with the beads on it? not that it makes it look much better, LOL!

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Brightest Blessings!
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008 04:19:04 PM »

there  you  go that  is  finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
RondaS

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008 04:35:59 PM »

that is such a great picture - it makes it look really good, LOL!

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brightest Blessings!
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008 07:01:07 PM »

thankyou for this, been wanting to have a go but my brain doesnt like words - only images lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008 08:24:19 PM »

that is such a great picture - it makes it look really good, LOL!

Ronda
Blessings!

thats  because it is really good  thank you again I love  it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RondaS

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008 08:01:51 AM »

thankyou for this, been wanting to have a go but my brain doesnt like words - only images lol

you are welcome!

I am kind of in the same boat - only I almost need to be holding something in order to figure it out. Flip side though - if I am holding something, I can usually figure out how to do it!  Grin

Give it a try - once you make one little football thingy, they are easy

and once you have them all in little groups of three and mess with it a bit, it is easy to see how they all fit together - it was sort of one of those lightbulb experiences for me!

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brightest Blessings!
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008 06:55:08 PM »

yea thats what I do too! theres been more than one crafty thing Ive gotten half way through then thrown across the room  Cheesy much to my SO amusement. Esp when he picks the pattern up and explains it to me grr. Be quite cool to stuff one of these with a scent and use them in wardrobes, hmmm......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
RondaS

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008 10:14:41 AM »

yea thats what I do too! theres been more than one crafty thing Ive gotten half way through then thrown across the room  Cheesy much to my SO amusement. Esp when he picks the pattern up and explains it to me grr.

I hate when DH does that! He takes forever to figure something out, but he always reads all the instructions and figures things out from that - and I really need the hands on. I think he hates it as much that I can pick something up and figure out how to make one without instructions, as I hate that he can do it with ONLY the instructions.

Be quite cool to stuff one of these with a scent and use them in wardrobes, hmmm......

that is a great idea!

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brightest Blessings!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eva Longoria Shares Her Styling Tip To Look Slim
#CandidlyNicole Deleted Scene: The World Is Watching
Your New Summer Tee: Think Prints!
Closet Essentials Every Woman Needs
4 Hot Summer Concert Outfits
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...