A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: suggstions for recon project for 6 YO boy?  (Read 682 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

argwwo
« on: March 15, 2008 11:11:04 AM »

After I turned one of my husband's work shirts into a sundress for my 3YO daughter, my son asked me to make something for him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008 03:34:20 PM »

Work shirt dress sounds cute Smiley I really need more info on the boy & the shirt though to make suggestions...age? size? type of shirt? size of shirt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
argwwo
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008 12:02:15 PM »

Here's the dress (and girl)
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=233708.0

My son is in kindergarten (almost 6) and while very rough and tumble, not too terribly concerned with being all that stereotypically boyish all the time (he's been known to say "pink is a girl color; fuscia is for boys!" and has a couple of babydoll tees that he wears because he likes the illustrations on them)

You name it, we've got it in the old clothes department: tee shirts, sweaters, jeans, button downs, polos ... So really we could go anywhere.

I guess my biggest problem is that I've got no problem coming up with ideas for the 3 YO girl or the 5 MO baby, but just don't have any ideas for creative things for him that he could get some real use out of.

I'm all ears! Thanks.
Angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008 12:51:20 PM »

Ah, I had completely different idea from your first post, thank you Smiley

So you are looking for any old shirt recon, I thought maybe hubby was a mechanic or some other uniformed type & boy wanted a shirt like/ from dads Smiley Although if dad had one of these type shirts it would make a fantasticly cute & cool cut down to the boys' size. To do that I would literally cut down the adult size shirt, make new correct sized sleeves, move the pocket & any patches & done Smiley

Dang, makes me wish hubs still had his bowling shirt....[imagines bowling shirt dresses....]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaymadben
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008 09:01:57 PM »

recon hoodies and add spikes for dinosaur or ears for puppy. Take a boring old plain shirt that's all beat up or has stains and tie dye it or add fun appliques. My son outgrew his overalls so I cut them off, lengthed the straps and decorated them. You can see them on my profile page. Don't really know much else. I get brain freeze when I think about sewing stuff for boys so I stick to girls. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can make dresses for your princess!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/skb
degenecle
djrk

I wanna be a professional grandma

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008 06:28:33 PM »

I can relate to your dilemma - my little girl is such a tomboy. Here are some of the things I do for her (that would definitely apply to a little boy):

Easier thing ever - add fooler sleeves to a plain tee. Make some sleeves from an all-over print he loves (or take the sleeves from an older, long-sleeved shirt that's too small for him now, but he couldn't get enough of at the time - he's gotta have one Smiley ), and attach them under the stitch-line of a plain or coordinating T-shirt.

Old sweaters can be chopped, serged, and become a wicked cool sweater vest for wearing over t-shirts and such. Same with an old-school style sweatshirt, only stitch so the raw edges are on the right (out)side.

Custom cargo pockets on all of his pants. You can never have too many pockets.

Old plaid shirts of Dad's can become plaid shorts (depending on how big Dad and boy are)

... hmmm... Off the top of my head, that's all I can come up with right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CeraMom
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008 08:52:37 AM »

Superhero cape, workmans tool apron, chefs hat, chefs apron .............

All of these things have been in progress at our house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crossing the Tracks Book Trailer
Rick Springfield Talks About Late, Late at Night Part 2
Blood Ties Book Trailer
David Grann Reveals His Previous Occupation
Kathy Charles Talks About John Belushi Is Dead
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...