A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please suggest some crafts books.  (Read 1127 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

floatingmoon
« on: March 15, 2008 03:00:37 AM »

Okay, so after trying to ask and search. There is no Japanese crafts class in my city.

I see all this colorful Japanese crafts books, but I hesitate to buy it. Coz I don't understand Japanese. Those books are very graphic, but I doubt one needs some basic knowledge of certain crafts in order to understand how to use the book. I don't want to spend the money and go to waste, those books are not cheap.

Please suggest book for someone who don't understand Japanese, can still understand and make the crafts.

Except Amigurumi and Nendo. Coz Amigurumi, I dont know how to knit. And Nendo (clay), I tried, sometimes you need there certain types of clay with that certain 'personality' to make it works.

Thank you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
rubricsuxi
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008 08:50:05 AM »

Hi floatingmoon. Just came across your post. I too love Japanese craft books and mags but can't read Japanese. What you need are books with lots of steps by step pictures. You may want to check Yesasia and other Japanese book suppliers for books such as the following, which I have: Small felt creations (4-8347-2509-x), palm-sized stuffies (978-4-8347-2537-7), bag (978-4-529-03814-0). There is an excellent resource page here: http://www.craftlog.org/craftingjapanese and here http://www.flickr.com/groups/craftbooks/. If you're interested in say, making bags, you may want to borrow some books from the library to learn the basics, then refer to these Japanese book sites for that particular kind of pretty/breezy/clean aesthetics Wink

There are also books translated from Japanese, eg. Fuzzy felted friends and Sock & glove. Check them out on amazon or your local bookstore!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008 08:55:50 AM by rubricsuxi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cohabitate and Live Longer
Long-Term Effects of the Airport Backscatter
Gloucester Inspires Novel: Beauty
What Would You Sacrifice for a Second Chance?
Noggin by John Corey Whaley Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...