A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question: How do you organize your sewing area ...  (Read 1445 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

argwwo
« on: March 14, 2008 11:09:09 AM »

... when you have no, um, area?

We have two grownups, three kids and a dog in a 1935 (read:no-closets-having) 3-bedroom colonial.

My sewing machine/table is currently crammed into the corner of my bedroom, and when I say crammed, I mean crammed.

Just to make a very basic sun dress the other day, I had to un-pile a bunch of stuff from next to the sewing machine so I could open up the table top. Since that stuff all went on my bed, I then had to go into my daughter's room next door to cut and layout my fabric. I did get a little portable ironing board so i didn't have to run all the way down to the basement every time I wanted to press something, but it's just crazy-making. And I can't leave stuff spread out if I get interrupted midstream.

I'm organization challenged on a good day, but add in the total lack of dedicated space and I'm a mess.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
Angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shootingstar
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008 08:06:57 PM »

I feel your pain - I also have a clutter-nazi husband who freaks out every time I start a new project and have bits and pieces everywhere.  You might try putting up shelves, bulletin boards, pegboards, maybe even cabinets in your little corner, and designate that for ONLY your sewing/crafting supplies and tools.  I try to get everything I need ready right before I get my youngest ready for her nap, and break it down into chunks I can do during that time period.  That way I have a specific time and everything is ready and waiting for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lord, show me your ways. Teach me how to follow you.  Guide me in your truth. Teach me. You are God my Savior.  I put my hope in you all day long.
-Psalm 25:4-5

PM me if you want to swap!  I need some stitch markers...

Finally got one...
http://www.wists.com/shootingstar320
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008 03:42:27 PM »

It's never easy when there isn't room in the house. Carving out that niche may be very worth your time & energy though, for the long-term sanity saving, right? Smiley

I'd look for wasted or inefficient space all over the house first. Cleaning up the kids room might create a chain of moving toys from the living room to the kids room which in turn might give you a spot in the dining room which a lot of people like. It really depends on your house, and what everybody else does (hobbies, activities, etc). Cleaning out a kitchen cabinet might in turn give you basement space. Cleaning out a hall coat closet might give you bedroom space.

Then once the spaces & furniture you have are being used to their maximum potential, it's time to go looking for what shelf/ desk/ box system will fit the space you've made for yourself Smiley Good luck!

I'd search "organization" and "closets" here, I've seen some goregeous makovers of very tiny spaces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
argwwo
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008 12:04:45 PM »

that's a really great suggestion! I wasn't thinking of it holistically like that.

Thanks,
Angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008 12:45:05 PM »

I grew up in an A frame house, totally weird & a real challenge when it comes to storage. My bedroom closet was roughly 3' at the bar and I think more than 6' at the floor with all that extra space down in a dark corner behind my hanging clothes. Yeah, my parents are old hippies...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008 06:21:12 AM »

I have lived in some funky houses and one of the best things I did was install a bar above my sewing table to hang my scissors and other small tools from. This http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50072645  with these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80072644.  That kept the small kids away from them but always within easy reach to me and off the table.  Next to the table I put a small bookcase similar to this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20045521 to put my patterns, most used sewing reference books, and fabric that I was currently using.  Underneath the table I put a plastic storage cart (without the wheels because then it would have been too tall) similar to 2930 on this page http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=151#.  To store folded fabric that wasn't currently in use.  On top of the table I kept only my sewing machine and the current project being sewn.  I had to stay very vigilant about not letting it get cluttered but it really worked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
JennasMommy
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008 11:46:08 AM »

Greats ideas everybody! I love FUNDA62 'bar' idea for hanging things above your area. Great way to keep dangerous things out of reach of my very curious 15 month old. Need to look into that.

I'm in the same boat as you Angela. We (DH,Jenna,and I) are living in a 2 bedroom trailor (hardly any closet space). Up until last week I had to go to my parents house everytime I wanted to sew:Smiley. Its not a far drive but I was tired of not being able to sew whenever I please (like when DD was taking her evening nap, or when I am having trouble sleeping in the middle of the night). So I finally got rid of some junk and made room for a small 3ft student desk in our livingroom. As of right now I ONLY keep my sewing essentials at home (thread, needles, seam ripper, pins, scissors etc), all my fabric and other goodies stay at my parents house. Every weekend I go over there and spend an hour or two cutting out patterns (mom has a nice sewing room, large cutting table Cool ) so I have things to work on during the week when I'm not working. DH and I have been saving so we can build a house(with a sewing room of course), hopefully this year. Its probably going to be small but I don't care, as long as its my own little place WITH A DOOR  Wink. But for now I am happy with my little desk, I will make it do. Just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one out there needing to find some much needed space Grin

~~Mary
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008 11:46:43 AM by JennasMommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008 12:13:49 PM »

LOL
Its probably going to be small but I don't care, as long as its my own little place WITH A DOOR 

We had a trailer when my oldest was small I understand!. I made my own room divider to cordon off the end of our eat-in kitchen so I could sew, keep an eye on my then crawler & keep her out of dangerous stuff. It was not very pretty, entirely functional, but also removable with minimal damage to the house.
I used 1x4, canvas drop cloth, a couple L brackets & some ordinary strap hinges, I think I spent $20.
I built two rectangle 2 1/2x 7 & 2 1/2 x 3 & one extra piece that matched the 2 1/2 height of the other pieces. I streched the canvas  & stapled it to the rectangles. I Screwed it to the wall on one end & hinged the smaller rectangle to the larger, attatching the extra board to a cabinet & functioning as the stop. This enclosed a space roughly 10 X 6 the washer & dryer were in a closet at the end of the space. I also fed the dog in this area which kept curious toddler hands out of the dog bowl. It would have been claustraphobic if it hadn't had several nice big windows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008 02:47:20 PM »

Forgot to talk about my closet that I once used as a sewing/craft area!  It was about 5x7 but luckily the door opened out.  I took an abandoned door and added a leg on one end and put a filing cabinet (for storage) on the other end.  I put shelves above that and on the end of the closet.  It wasn't big enough to swing a cat, but it was mine!  I could go in and lock the door and melt away into whatever I was doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008 03:21:00 PM »

This months Martha Stewart has a beautiful fold-up craft space made out of two book cases, with instructions! I got it a week ago & just read it today, silly me, could have mentioned it the first time I replied  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fresh Beauty Products for Fall
3 Under $30: Our Beauty Editors Share Their Fall Favorites
How to Maintain Tan, Glowing Skin After Summer
Best False Lashes For Different Eye Shapes
Terrence J Gives VIBE Vixen Editor A Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...