A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wedding cake attempt one  (Read 1421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peglegmeg27
« on: March 09, 2008 11:30:50 PM »

so, i've recently been obsessed with 'ace of cakes' on the food network. my sister is getting married in may. they are poor college students (well, recent grads at the time of the wedding) and are trying to save money wherever they can. i have never made a wedding cake before, but i think i can do it--so i volunteered!

this was my first attempt. i plan on making quite a few practice cakes, and i'm only doing the first layer until i get the recipe and icing right. i have a recipe for fondant, but this cake was a bit lumpy (i cooked it too long and it was hard to trim the 'crust'). so, instead of wasting my precious ingredients, i decorated it with lemons and called it done!

the cake is a white cake flavored with lemon zest and lemon juice. the icing is a butter cream icing with lemon juice added.

here it is:
(ignore the crappyness of my cellphone picture...)

i'll keep posting as the cakes get better (hopefully!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ImperiestroMary

Those cubists were a bunch of squares.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008 11:08:25 PM »

Oh, please keep us posted! I have an unnatural obsession with Ace of Cakes too, and I always thought elaborate cake-making wasn't really beyond the reach of the determined nonprofessional. Nice start, and I'll be interested to see your skills progress! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykatt

Geek knitter <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008 04:22:05 AM »

Keep at it and I'm sure your cakes will get so good. A great reason to bake lots of cakes and eat them too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heavens_devil
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008 02:52:41 PM »

that sounds so yummy!!
I want something tangy now..

keep us posted!!!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
britnlind

It's done. I just need to start.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008 11:20:15 PM »

It'll be gerat to watch the progression of your cakes. Keep posting even with the phone pics Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atrista
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008 02:08:51 PM »

I must admit my recent foray into crazy cake-making was partially fueled by an addiction to that show.

Mmmm...your lemon cake looks delicious! Keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smudgycat
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008 10:17:29 AM »

When I wanted to make a wedding cake, the 2 books constantly recommended to me were:
The Cake Bible
The Simple Art of Perfect Baking

The Cake Bible is especially cool because it has tons of combinations and variations of cake/frosting combos.  It also gives really precise measurements so that your recipes will come out accurate. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008 01:28:40 PM »

These might be things you've thought about already, but here goes.  If you're determined to do this...

Are you going to make a tiered or stacked cake?  If you are doing something beyond a regular layer or sheet cake, are not a professional yourself, and have not done this before, it may be helpful speak to a professional about timing (when to bake, when to frost), how to construct (like dowel placement), materials, supplies, transport, storage conditions, serving, etc.

For example, I've heard you shouldn't frost before you get on site, because the cake layers might slide around in the car, causing it to get ruined.  (But confirm that with the professional baker you consult.)  Heck, even the pros on "Ace of Cakes" start sweating when they see that first raindrop or pothole.

You did not state where the reception was taking place (and there's no need to answer this question on the board--it's just something to think about), but you should also check with the site about bringing in homemade food.  Some sites will not allow you to do that because of liability reasons--the site's concern would be if someone gets sick.  Professional bakers or caterers will have liability insurance, whereas the home baker will not.  If it's required by your site, maybe you can have additional liability coverage added to your homeowner's or renter's insurance.

Last, you should consider how high-maintenance the cake might be.  If it must be babysat--like it has to be refrigerated, must warm up, and then frosted on site within x hours of serving--consider that you may have to miss part of your sister's wedding for this.

You may want to seek additional ideas and feedback on the forums at Egullet.com.  There is an array of other serious cooking and baking amateurs and pros there. 

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JLMS
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008 06:52:03 PM »

Lemon. Yum. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allyinthevalley
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008 06:55:05 PM »

My grandmother has made hundreds of wedding cakes, and I've helped her from time to time. We always do the main frosting ahead of time. Have a good plan for getting it to the reception, though. Obviously, don't stack it until you're there. And bring extra frosting to touch up just in case something goes wrong. Sometimes my Grandmother will make the frosting that hardens and use that to make the decorations. That way, if you want, you can have some of those along with you, too to help cover up any mess-ups.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how you progress! It should be very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Let the Sky Fall Trailer
The Life of John Hay, from Lincoln to Roosevelt
David Rotenberg on the Junction Chronicles
Wool by Hugh Howey Trailer
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...