A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help us with my promdress please? [PICS]  (Read 851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Toermalijn
« on: March 14, 2008 07:24:15 AM »

Hello all crafty craftsters,

next month is prom and i asked my mom to make a dress for me. I 'designed' it (not really  Roll Eyes i just found a cute dress in the magazine and added some things) and she made it.

everything went all well, and quick too. but now we just feel like it's lacking something. it just need a finishing touch.

my mom is really brilliant as for making patterns and sewing it all together. but for the 'couture part' she is completely clueless. and so am i Embarrassed

i made 2 flowers but i'm not sure where to plant them. and i want to add rosettes and maybe little beads as well. but i don't know wheter this will be too much or not. (plus i don't know where to plant them either)

usually i ask my friends, but we decided to keep our dresses a secret so it will be a suprise at that day.

so yea..pretty damn clueless.

here's some pictures of the dress:
(buttons and flowers aren't attached yet)

front

back

details

it's a short, light dress; really comfy Cheesy. it's kinda perfect but it just need something.

so please help me? i know you can Wink
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008 07:24:42 AM by Toermalijn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
la_chrystelle
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008 07:36:33 AM »

maybe a pearl belt around your waist/hips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008 08:59:03 AM »

It's precious.  I'd maybe add a slip with a decorative hem (either a sheer white flounce, or gathered lace) that would poke out at the bottom, to tie in the white lace at the top.  I don't think I'd put any more flowers on it.  It's very retro.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008 09:59:29 AM »

Wow, that is really cute!  Honestly, I think it is fine just the way it is, but I do like the idea of a lace-hemmed crinoline peeking out from the bottom.  Is it a bubble hem, though?  Maybe that would look odd -- hard to say.

I think once you put on the dress with your hair and makeup done, jewelry, shoes, etc, it won't look plain at all.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Love2dance14
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008 11:03:36 AM »

i love the dress with the flowers right where they are. if you feel like you are missing something, maybe just wear a long strand of faux pearls or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008 01:01:54 PM »

Put it on, put on a long strand of pearls and take a picture, then I might be able to decide if it needs more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008 02:24:43 PM »

What about making the flowers bright pink or another color you like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
zazazoom
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008 03:52:18 PM »

It's lovely it just seems like it needs some color! Like a pink ribbon/sash/belt thing around the waist in stead of the flower perhaps?
I agree that having some lace peek around around the bottom or perhaps some lace tights would be cute, if its not a bubble hem, I can't tell.

Once you get it on and add some accessories I am sure it will be lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008 07:20:25 PM »

You are making a very common mistake, you are looking at the dress all alone & trying to decide if the look is complete.
Of course it's not! it's on a hanger, not on you, no shoes, no hair 'do, no make up, no jewelry, etc.
Like Llamas said, put it on, put on some jewelry, put on shoes, toss you hair up (if you think you will wear it up) etc. Then decide if you like it Smiley

I worked in a bridal shop for a short time, brides & others shopping for very dressy clothes did this all the time. They would schlep in  wearing sweats, no make up, etc. put on the dress they brought the magazine picture of & say "it's not fancy enough" I'd point out the hair, jewelry, shoes & makeup & remind them of their purple bra & bare feet....

Falling into the  "it's not fancy enough" trap leads to Parade Float Syndrome. This is when one wears anxtreemly elaborate gown AND elaborate veil WITHborate hair AND elaborate jewelry, Parade Float had nothing to do with size, just an overload of sparkle, ruffle, lace, etc. Wink

Now you can go to prom looking well put together & secretly giggle at the Parade Floats (and hate your prom pics a bit less 10 years from now)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008 10:46:34 AM »

I took a look at your dress on Friday and saw nothing wrong with it.  It struck me later that, indeed, as Pennylowe said, it only lacked YOU.  Pennylowe said it better than I could.  Add more "stuff" and you will risk looking like a little girl in a pageant.  Plus, I think touches of color will detract from your look.  Glam up your hair and make-up and have a good time! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion and Beauty Photography Techniques
How to Create Ringflash Style Portraits on a Budget
How to Master High Key and Low Key Lighting for Fashion Photography
Sony Cybershot DSC-TX7 Digital Camera Review
Natural Light Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...