A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
969 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rincewind the "Wizzard" rag doll!  (Read 1894 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thanate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

crafty alchemist (now, with tea!)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 13, 2008 04:46:03 PM »

I went through a Terry Pratchett craze a while back, and made a couple things, including this rag doll of Rincewind.  He's made of cheap white muslin, with embroidery floss for hair, with a velvet robe.  He also survived a renaissance faire season with me as my "dollie," and once met Terry Pratchett at a book signing, so he's quite broken in and well traumatized...

The sequins on his robe are in ancient greek and say "the life is hard" (about one of three thinks I remember from that class, sadly.) He's got five pockets, most of which contain things, including a small green frog. 

I am (and have been for we won't mention how many years) in the middle of knitting a second sock for him out of crochet cotton with toothpicks for dpns, with intent to give him boots to go over them, but somehow that doesn't seem to be happening.  He's also got underwear with his name written in the back of it, but I am not mean enough to include that picture. 

detail of his hat, which says "Wizzard" and has a star on it.  It is also pinned to his head with a largeish pearl-headed pin, stoppered with cork, so he won't lose it. 

his handsome little rag-doll face, complete with scraggly beard.

Now he lives in semi-retirement on top of the file cabinet with Eyore, so they can be gloomy together.  (Ok, I'm not sure what the kimodo dragon is doing in this picture...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

penguingrrl

I'm a penguin in disguise!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008 04:55:08 PM »

I love this so much! I read some of Terry Pratchett several years ago and will never forget Rincewind. My husband has pretty much read all of his books and we got to see him talk a couple of years ago. Thanks for sharing your unique doll!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
syrlig
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008 07:13:30 PM »

oh man, that is so cool! Rincewind rocks Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I collect the pieces of insight I find on the street and sew them into a quilt of understanding.
piaochong
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008 08:18:44 PM »

i love rincewind too! i would love to make a whole bunch of terry pratchett dolls. like two-flower! and CMOT dibbler! sigh* i think im gunna have to add this to the list of things i have to make one day!
great job on him, he looks almost exactly how i would picture him.. in doll form!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008 01:36:58 AM »

Rincewind is one of my all time favourite Pratchett characters, I think you've made an awesome representation of him!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008 08:00:13 AM »

Just so you know, I now have a huge, sappy grin all over my face. This is so great! Rincewind is my favorite Discworld character. I love your version!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Indoor Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Panoramic Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...