A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegetarian Recipe Collection..post yours!  (Read 17931 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenfish
« on: January 22, 2005 11:41:40 AM »

Hey, lets have a collection of Vegetarian Recipies..I have a few from a great book and a few of my own I'm going to share in a second although I have no way of posting pictures..

...so lets have a bunch of veggie recepies for everyone to enjoy Smiley

Yay... this should be great Smiley
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005 07:09:41 PM by greenfish » THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfish
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005 11:48:47 AM »

I made this a while ago, and I just added approximate amounts of what I thought tasted yummy..

"A'la Chinese Tofu"
[but not really chinese]

1 whole sweet onion
1 red pepper, yellow or green
Tofu, firm
Bean Sprouts
Soya Sauce
..plus whatever else you'd like to add..

Chop up the onion into little cubes, I usually have the whole frying pan in onion.. fried sweet onions are soo good.. Fry them for a few minutes on medium heat, and then add enough soya sauce to your taste, and let them simmer.. they will soak the sauce too and gain a golden color.
Next, add choped peper, the bean sprouts and your other veggies, and let that simmer.

In another pan, just cut up your tofu, and let it fry. I sprinkle mine with red pepper, salt, and other spices which I randomly find.

Add the tofu to the veggies, and pile your food on a plate of rice, or noodles.

Yummy.

I did this one day, and it turned out good.. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sashafantastique
Snap, crackle, craft!

Lets turn on the juice and see what shakes loose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005 06:32:52 PM »

Sasha's Creamy Spinach
--------------------------------

1 tbsp butter
1 pound fresh spinach
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 clove garlic chopped super tiny
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

1. Boil spinach until cooked, drain.
2. Heat heavy saucepan with butter until melted, then add garlic.
3. Cook garlic for about a  minute, add heavy whipping cream.
4. Heat h.w.cream then add cheese, melt, then add spinach.
5. Cook another minute, add salt and pepper to taste.
This is really good,  I made it for my xmas  party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenfish
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005 07:06:18 PM »

OMG! I have to try this tomorrow.. I just bought a big ol' bag of spinach as I'm probably dying from lack of iron, and not to mention protein. hehe.. this sounds great. I'll post once I get off my lazy non studying bum and try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfish
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005 11:38:32 AM »

I tried making the creamy spinach earlier today, and I must say...

It's excellent!

I recommend it to everyone..Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005 01:02:56 PM »

great idea!  I made this last night.  It was yummy and quick.  It probably needs another dish to go with it for dinner, but it made a nice lunch.  I think (I'm at work now) I got it from The Five Ingedient Vegetarian Gourmet by Nava Atlas, one of my favorite books.  It was actually better the dat after.  The beans absorbed some of the flavors.  I bet some sauted onions and garlic would be good in this too.

1 can white beans (canellini, kidney, whatever) rinsed and drained.
3-4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
1 lg tomato, chopped
fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Mix beans, sundried tomotoes, tomato and basil in bowl.  Heat in microwave until warm.  season with salt and pepper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
fl_mariposa
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005 02:45:44 PM »

Baked onions stuffed with feta
Serves four

Ingredients

4 large red onions
1 T. olive oil
1 oz. pine nuts
4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1 oz. fresh bread crumbs
1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
salt and ppper

1. Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a shallow ovenproof dish. Peel the onions and cut a thin slice from the top and base of each. Place in a large saucepan of boiling water and cook for 10-12 min. until just tender. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain and leave to cool slightly.
2. Using a small knife, remove inner sections of the onions, leaving about 2-3 outer rings. Finely chop the inner sections and lace shells in ovenproof dish.
3. Heat oil in frying pan and fry chopped onions for 4-5 min. until golden, add pine nuts and stir-fry for a few minutes.
4. Place feta cheese in a bowl and stir in onions, pine nuts, bread crumbs, and cilantro. Season well and spoon into shells. Cover loosely with foil and bake in oven for about 30 min. and remove foil for last 10 min.
5. Serve as a starter or as a light lunch with warm bread.

Summer Squash Casserole - Two Variations
1.5 pounds yellow and green summer squash, sliced
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Simmer the squash and onion until soft (10 minutes or so) then drain. Cut the butter up and mix it with the squash, then add the milk and Parmesan and stir, then stir in the beaten eggs. Pour this into a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 pound summer squash
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 egg
1/2 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs

You don't need to peel the squash. Just slice them thinly and then steam or simmer in some water until soft.

Mix together the egg, onion, mayonnaise, cheese, salt and pepper. Add the squash and a few Tbs of butter and mix together. Pour into a small casserole dish, top with the breadcrumbs, and dot the rest of the butter.

Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes.

Broccoli crumble
Serves 4

1 oz. butter or margarine
2 leeks, thinly slice
1 oz. all purpose flour
2/3 c. milk
1/2 c. water
8 oz. broccoli, broke into florets
1 oz. Parmesan cheese

For topping:
4 oz. all purpose flour
1 t. dried basil
3 oz. butter or margarine
2 oz. fresh bread crumbs
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 375. Melt butter and fry leeks for 2-3 min. until softened. Stir in flour and gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil, add the broccoli, season and simmer, half-covered, over low heat for 5 min. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper and pour into a med. ovenproof dish. To make topping, mix the flour with the basil and salt. Rub in the butter and stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over broccoli and bake in over for 20-25 min. until topping is golden.

Carrot, apple, and orange coleslaw
serves 4

12 oz. young carrots, finely grated
2 apples
1 T. lemon juice
1 large orange

For the dressing
3 T. olive oil
4 T. sunflower oil
3 T. lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 T.plain yogurt
1 T. chopped mixed resh herbs: tarragon, parsley, chives
salt and pepper

Place carrots in a large bowl. Quarter apples, remove core, and slice thinly. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent discoloration and add to carrots. Add orange segments. To make dressing place all ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss well.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
pixiewhip

violently cute

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005 12:24:29 AM »

The creamy spinach sounds awesome.  I bet it would be amazing on pasta.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005 10:18:58 AM »

My parent accuse me of being too much of a gourmet, but on my tiny budget I still manage to eat a lot of expensive vegetarian food for some reason (most of it consisting of meat-imitations though).

Mozarella sandwich, great for lunch
One per person

Ingredients:
1 olive chiabatta (or bread of your choise - just make sure it has "edges" all around so it won't drip)
1 ball of mozarella (about 1.5 - 2 dl big) but use as much as you prefer yourself
1 tomato
red union
fresh basil
1 teaspoon or more of vinegar (mango vinegar is to die for)
1 teaspoon or more of olive oil
salt and black pepper

Mix the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper (I like to use much salt to compete with the big chunk of mozarella)
Cut the chiabatta in half sandwich-like, and then put the dressing-mix on both halves, I use a teaspoon for this but it doesn't work too well.
Slice the mozarella in thick slices (I just cut it in half when I feel like I can afford it, so it's really much cheese) and put it on the bread
Chop up the union and put it on the mozarella
Slice the tomato and put it on the union
Finally get some fresh basil leaves and put them on the sandwich, whole or ripped to pieces, then close the sandwich.
Tastes great with ice tea Grin
(for non-vegetarians and sinners, it's also real tasty to add some parma ham)

Halloumi sandwich for whenever

Ok, this is one of my favorites.. I don't know how common halloumi is in the states, but it's this marvellous cheese from around Greece which you grill. Ungrilled it's like a salty, tasty eraser.

For two persons

Ingredients:
2 chiabattas
1 red paprika
1 halloumi
_for a salad with the sandwich:
lettuce
cucumber
tomatoes (cocktail tomatoes are the best)
maybe some red union
olive oil
balsam vinegar

Slice the paprika in a sort of all-around-peeling way, so you get big bits of it, and slice the halloumi as well. If you're able to grill the paprika and the halloumi, DO SO, it tastes best that way, but you can use an electric grill or just fry it in a pan. The halloumi is supposed to get a little color, and the paprika is supposed to go soft.
Cut the chiabattas in half, and put the cheese and paprika on it when they're done.
While the grilling/frying is going on, it's good to make a salad to go with this if you want it to be a full meal.
Just take the salad ingredients and mix 'em up in a way you like it, there aren't really any rules - just that balsam vinegar salad goes great with the halloumi.

Mushrooms in white sauce

Ingredients:
Mushrooms (or chanterelles, oh so lovely) FRESH, canned only for emergencies
Cream
  OR milk and maize flour
Union
Butter
quite a bit of salt, some black pepper, and a pinch of sugar (trust me on this)

Okay, you're really supposed to do this in cream, but I never have that at home, so I use milk and maize flour.
Chop up the mushrooms and the union, and fry them in a LOAD of butter (this is really unhealthy, but use atleast some butter - oil just won't cut it)
Either: Pour in enough milk to make it saucy and then mix some cold milk with maize flour (proportional to the amount of milk - you can always add some more if it doesn't go thick), then add that, to thicken
Or: add cream
add salt, pepper and sugar
Simmer until it's thick and lovely

This is to die for with spaghetti or tagliatelle, but it's also good on toast.

I have a ton of marvellous recipies in a swedish vegetarian cookbook, a published collection from a magazine called "all about food".. it's cheap enough, but mostly it's the kind of food you don't think of as specifically vegetarian. There's gazpacho, simple potatoe soup (generally I don't like potato soup, but this one is great), warm mushroom-chili-cashew-pasta-salad, the best wok I've ever eaten (paksoi and shitake and stuff)...
Oh, now I'm hungry Smiley
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005 12:07:02 PM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
teri
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005 01:22:36 PM »

This is so good and easy to make! I had it at a potluck awhile ago and found a recipe for it online -- since it has been incorporated into my regular diet, so here it is:

Chick Peas in Curry Sauce

1 Large Onion, Chopped
2 Cans Chick Peas
4 Cloves of garlic, minced (i prefer mine crushed)
1/2 tsp both cumin and corriander
Juice of half a lemon (i throw in a couple capfuls of the bottled stuff)
3 Tablespoons of tomato paste
2 tsp of curry

Saute onion and garlic in nonstick pot until slightly browned.  Add cumin and corriander cook until spices are mixed in well.  Add chick peas with all thier liquid if canned, with some cooking broth if cooked from scratch.  Add lemon juice and chick peas (sometimes I add a little extra tomato paste and water to make more sauce if desired).  Cook about ten minutes to let chick peas heat throughly.  Stir in curry powder and cook a few more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired and serve over rice.

vegweb.com has really great vegetarian recipes for anyone interested

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Baby Buu
How to Draw Asuna
How to Draw an Anime DJ Girl
How to Draw Zim
How to Draw Zapp Braniggan
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...