A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Have you ever set yourself a cooking challenge?  (Read 932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dearbarbie
Lover of all things preloved

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2008 01:56:13 AM »

(Hey, I'm newish, this is my first post)

I was just wondering...for my NY resolution back in Jan, I decided I would eat 52 different meats/fish, one per week, hoping I'd become more adventurous, learn more about food, etc. etc. My boyf sticks to what he likes so I hope he will learn to like new foods/be more likely to try new things. I have a mate who did this (still is, if you have ever read the Beastfeaster blog)...and it inspired me to have a go!

It's going well so far - we're saving turkey for Xmas obviously hehe.
We still have to do this week's challenge and I have to blog last week's guinea fowl. I saw tequila/worm lollies last week, they should feature at some point.

Anyway, if you want to read (not that it's exciting), it's blogged at http://plate52.blogspot.com complete with dodgy food photography! Over to you - anyone ever tried anything like this?

Nice to meet you - D x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Research, fashionably at www.prelovedreloved.co.uk
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008 06:17:00 AM »

every 3 months or so me and the hubby do what I call "freezer living". exactly what it says; we live on food from the freezer and store cupboard to run our stocks down. it's a home-style stock control.

we do end up with some pretty wierd stuff sometimes though!!!
and some things become a regular occurance too; for instance all we had were some lamb chops and potatoes. I took rosemary from the garden, baked the lamb chops with the rosemary and then grated the potato. squeezed out the water and fried to make rosti.
served the lamb on the rosti.
ok so it was totally nutritionally unbalanced, but it was darned tasty!!!

we're due another freezer week I think.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
krebstar5
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008 08:01:44 AM »

I just just started something like this too!  Instead of different meats exactly, I am focusing more on exploring different cuts of meats and exploring the use of as much as the animal as I can.  In other words, eating other parts of the pig/chicken/cow or whatever than I normally do.  I was really inspired by an episode of No Reservations where Anthony Bourdain eats bone marrow in London.  I bought Fergus Henderson's book "Nose to Tail" and have already tried bone marrow and pig's trotters.  While I must admit that there is a pretty good chance that I am not going to like everything that I try, I see this as an opportunity to expand my horizons.

Oh, and I am definatley going to check out your blog!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a blog-
http://smalerie.com

Rule 1: To do rather than watch.
http://www.journeyofwill.com
dearbarbie
Lover of all things preloved

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008 06:17:49 AM »

ooh, so what kinds of things have you had so far?
i once had chicken's neck. that was interesting!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Research, fashionably at www.prelovedreloved.co.uk
krebstar5
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008 06:01:59 AM »

So far, just the pig's trotters (feet).  They weren't all that interesting because it was just a lot of skin and fat.  Not much meet to be had, but the broth they made was awesome!  I've had pig skin before as a ked growing up, so the feet were more of an easy starting point for me.  I think for the next one I am either going to do tripe or beef heart.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a blog-

hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008 05:22:34 PM »

This is very interesting. I was not aware there were 52 animals available to eat. The other day we (just a group of random people)  were listing the meats we had eaten and mine was totally the shortest. I think I had like 5 on my list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
sonjabegonia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008 02:55:32 PM »

I've also done the freezer/cupboard challenge when I find that my supply of staple goods is overflowing.

I just recently became interested in bento boxes, so I'm contemplating how to start incorporating those into my life.

Finally, I'm always impressed by people who say that they have cooked their way through a cookbook.  That would be the ultimate challenge! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy - www.etsy.com/shop/OCCASIONsonjabegonia

Facebook  - www.facebook.com/occasionsbysonjabegonia

Tumblr - sonjabegoniach.tumblr.com
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008 03:25:06 PM »

I will try just about anything at least once.

From eating to cooking.

For some reason, stirfrys were a pain for me for years. I finally watched an Asian man give a cooking demonstration and it finally clicked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kleinsch
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008 02:38:24 PM »

I haven't had any *major* food challenges, but I recently had good success with a recipe that called for "fresh pork fat, twice ground."  Usually when I see stuff like that I give up, because who has that kind of stuff anymore?  But DH encouraged me to go to a local butcher and ask for some nicely. The butcher was perplexed, but finally simply cut off a hunk of fat from some pork he had hanging around.  He didn't even charge me for it!

Then we had vegetarian houseguests, so I couldn't make the recipe.  When I got around to it, the fat was, uh, no longer fresh. It reeked.

So back I went to the store to beg some more pork fat.  This time he charged me 36 cents. Ah well.

Long story short, the recipe I made was for Russian pelmeni (kind of like a Russian version of tortellini or ravioli), which I used to get frozen at a Russian deli in San Francisco. Now we live in rural Maine, so no Russian delis.  Hence, my  food challenge--to make the stuff I love that we can't get anymore.  The pelmeni turned out awesome--they tasted just like the store bought ones, but fresher.

So, I guess since my food challenge had a happy ending, I am encouraged to try to cook more things we simply can't get where we live. Sweet and sour chicken is next on my list. (My god, the Chinese food where we live is simply atrocious!)  Any leads on a good SnS Chicken recipe?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more children are valued, the better their values will be.
krebstar5
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008 06:07:19 AM »

Kleinsch,

I know what you mean.  I've gotten a few butchers to look at me a little funny when I ask for stuff.  I just don't get it though, is asking for bones to make stock with that uncommon now a days?  Oh well, the nice thing is that I often get them either really cheap or free.  There seems to be a movement towards "nose to tail" eating, so maybe that means that butchers are going to start carrying more exciting options.

Wanna share that pelmeni recipe?  You've gotten me pretty curious.

Oh, and I am going to try to get some new offal to try this weekend.  I'll post back here with my results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a blog-

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...