A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SEEK from PsychoLeCemu costume help needed  (Read 695 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spooky.kitty
« on: March 12, 2008 08:45:42 PM »

*ok so im going to cos play as seek for this years a-kon and so far i have come up with a way to make everything except for the support for the mask and "necklace"(the silver parts)
does anyone know a way to make this thats not painful to wear (ill be wearing it for about 12 hrs)

refrence pic
v
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bowlordie
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008 10:06:42 PM »

other than suggesting making itlike head
gear,
i'm not really sure. it looks really heavy!! yikes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katrin
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008 01:24:10 AM »

You could try craft foam. It is very light and can be spray painted silver. For the tube parts try this foam you use for insulation of pipes. It  already has this tube form.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grendelsmom
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008 04:43:03 AM »

I would definitely create a strap to go all around the head; for the tubing, use corrugated plastic tubing - it's very lightweight and would probably take paint well. If you're in the US you can probably get this sort of thing at Home Depot, take a stroll through Plumbing and Electrical. (Or ask someone who makes Cyberpunk Dreadfalls where they get their tubing.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgrrl42

cutest little quilt dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008 06:42:13 AM »

Could you use either template plastic or reconned plastic from something like a gallon size milk jug sanded and painted?  If you could somehow coat or melt the sharp/cut plastic edge, it would be light weight and strong enough to hold the costume's tails/tentacles/dreds.  As a member of the 4-eyes club, I can't think of anything around your ears that would be excessively comfortable for long hours, but the more lightweight it is the more tolerable I think it would be.  Another option would be paper mache with brown craft paper for strength.  I saw a  costume made on www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-cardboard-costume-helmet/ for a helmet made out of paper mache that was incredibly strong and amazingly constructed.  Good luck!  Be sure to post the final results! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't even get me started about the cheddar fabric
spooky.kitty
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008 10:21:06 PM »

Another option would be paper mache with brown craft paper for strength.  I saw a  costume made on www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-cardboard-costume-helmet/ for a helmet made out of paper mache that was incredibly strong and amazingly constructed.  Good luck!  Be sure to post the final results! Smiley
that sounds like an awsome lightweight idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008 08:41:45 PM »

I would actually go more ridgid, at least to create a base to mold something soft on. My experience comes from theather where masks were worn 20 hours a week for 6 weeks. Molded to your face perfectly is the most comfortable thing, even over soft strechy things. Yes, I said a hard plaster mask is more comfortable than a strechy rubber one if it's custom fitted.

Knowing how a professional would make that originally helps. Basicly they would have made a plaster cast of the actors head, then used that to make a rubber/ silicone/ latex mask. You can't 'draft' off a natural human face because it is soft, the chemicals are sensitive when liquid etc.The nice part for you is: 1) it's only half a face, you could probably do it solo or with untrained help, 2) plaster is pretty cheap & half a face uses less. It's the latex or rubber that gets expensive fast, but that's where you get creative Smiley

Use plaster cast material (available for big $$ at crafts stores, much cheaper through medical suppliers) and make a mold of your face (put staws in your mouth for easy breathing).

Now you have two choices:
 Do lots of layers to make a good strong mold. After removing paint the inside with several coats of varnish. Use straight plaster to make a mold of your face. Now you have something you can use to mold your funfoam, rubber sheeting, plastic strips , etc on & make it perfectly snug & wearable.
OR leave the original mold at about 4-5 layers (that medical casting stuff is pretty thin) and cut it down to the shape you want, paint, glue etc & use it directly to make your mask.

What, you thought being an actor was easy? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Jubilee Bunting Flags
How to Make Paper Bunting
How to Weave With Ribbons
How to Make a Prodder for Rag-Rug Making
How to Set Up a Standard Loom for Weaving
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...