A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 'Period Pouch' - a sanitary towel cosy :P (with tutorial)  (Read 2459 times)
Tags for this thread: cozy , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suinoko
Strangely Multi-...talented?

GEEK

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 12, 2008 06:28:06 PM »

The story goes like this. I'm going to London tomorrow, and I'm on my period. I suffer from very bad PMS and have recently started using towels as opposed to tampons, because tampons give me headaches. Anyway, Kitten Wrangler made me this lovely little bag in the Make a Friend swap which I'm dying to use. It just so happens that a lot of my things match it - but there was a problem! The sanitary towel wrappers are green, oh the clashes of colour, the horror! I couldn't put them straight into the bag. So, I dug out some chunky pink yarn, a 5mm hook and spent approximately a Family Guy's episode worth of my life creating a little pouch that will happily contain three normal sized sanitary towels, but I suppose you could also use it for tampons or, well, just about anything else you fancy.

This is the result:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff149/suinoko/periodpouch_result.jpg

And here's a tutorial, just in case you ever got into a similar dilemma to me. Cheesy Since it is so simple and quick to make, it is probably also a suitable first crochet project, and practical too. Wink It can probably be made from yarn scraps and the pattern could be adapted to different styles.

This is what you need:
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff149/suinoko/periodpouch_ingredients.jpg

I used a fairly small amount of Sirdar Hugs yarn (mellow) which is a pink and white chunky weight yarn (similar could be substituted easily - I believe Sirdar Hugs is a UK yarn, so it might be harder to find elsewhere), a 5mm crochet hook and a yarn needle.

The pattern:
Row 1. chain 30 (this can be increased/decreased accordingly - I chained as far as just over double the height of a sanitary towel)
Row 2. turn and double crochet (UK triple crochet) all the way back
Row 3. chain 3 (this will be used to create a 'ruffle'), turn, double crochet the whole way across including the very first stitch
Row 5-10. repeat row 3 (the number of rows can also be increase/decreased according to towel size)

Then, to finish off, fold the crochet fabric in half so that the 'ruffles' are at the opening of the pouch, and sew down the sides using the tail of the fabric, or another cut of yarn. Your new pouch is now ready to be used. Cheesy Enjoy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012 08:45:12 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live only for the present moment, there is no other moment.

Here, take a look at my new Wist!
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008 08:06:44 PM »

That's awesome I like it. If I carried a purse I would so make it. Also I love the sushi in your pic makes my mouth water for some right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
ninjadeathstrike
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008 08:07:03 PM »

This is cute and a very good idea. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008 08:14:51 PM »

I really like the yarn you used, great color and the texture is awesome.

Tampons are evil. Fun (yet disturbing) fact: A lot of tampon manufacturing companies add a chemical to the tampon-making process that makes women bleed more. The goal is to get people to buy more of them. Not exactly the healthiest thing they could be doing for their customers Sad I approve the non-use of tampons.

And your case is a fabulously fashionable alternative to a zip-lock bag or nothing at all. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
squirrelbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008 10:04:01 PM »

You know, I had never thought of doing that! I usually just awkwardly crammed one into a pocket in my purse, but I was always paranoid someone would discover it.

I'm totally going to make one of these to match my purse! Thanks for the neat idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_anarchy
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008 10:56:51 PM »

That is very cute, so simple and pretty and just the right size.  I love the yarn you used! 

I don't know about chemically adverse effects of tampons, but I DO know they give me way worse cramps, I totally don't wear them unless I am swimming. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008 07:17:30 AM »

What a great idea! I love that yarn. I must expand my yarn horizons past red heart! LOL!

and, I didn't know "Family Guy" played over there! what a small world!

btw, the "fact" about tampons is not true. I have friends that work for P&G and I assure you that my friends would not make sanitary products that they wouldn't use themselves.

However, if you have worse than normal symptoms when wearing tampons, then you should not wear them.  It's been awhile since I heard stories of girls coming down with toxic shock syndrome. I had it while in college - not a very nice thing to go thru and can be very dangerous. I'm not a medical doctor but as an elder "sister" I would advise you girls to 1) stop using tampons and 2) mention these symptoms associated with tampons at your next docter visit.

Now, some girls can use them all the time with no problems. But some of us can't. Please take care of yourself!

The only treatment I got for the TSS was to stop using them. I haven't had a problem since (I do wear them when I swim, but never more than 4 hours). I'm 45 now and that was waaaay back when I was 23 or so.

I apologize to the  moderators for getting off the subject of crochet. I'm just concerned about my crochet sisters! (and wanted to stop that nasty rumor about commercial tampons)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
suinoko
Strangely Multi-...talented?

GEEK

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008 02:24:52 PM »

Thanks for all the lovely comments Cheesy

and, I didn't know "Family Guy" played over there! what a small world!

Oh yes, we get most of the popular American cartoons and sitcoms over here too Smiley

btw, the "fact" about tampons is not true. I have friends that work for P&G and I assure you that my friends would not make sanitary products that they wouldn't use themselves.

I didn't believe they would put chemicals in there to make you bleed more and buy more of their product, but according to Wikipedia they do put things like pesticide in them and it can have adverse effects on you for sure because it's put into such a vulnerable part of your body where toxins are easier absorbed. I know they cause me headaches, I am doing well without them. I just don't really like using towels as much as I do tampons because they're kinda uncomfortable and don't usually properly fit the underwear I use. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live only for the present moment, there is no other moment.

Here, take a look at my new Wist!
crochetmonkey

I'm ape over crocheting lol

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008 12:05:55 AM »

OK u did a great job I'm going to make me one up now its on my project list. I used a tampon once and will it felt like I had a p----- will u know in side of me all the time and I thought that was gross maybe I didn't put it in right but I didn't like that feeling at the time so I stopped useing them and went to pads much comfortable to me. not trying to be mean or rude just my opinion I think it is very unsanitary to go swimming when Ur on Ur period weather Ur using a tampon or not . My friend dose the same thing wears tampons and go swimming when she is on her period. Will I wont swim in her pool when she is on it the ideal to me is unsanitary and probably to other people who swim in the pool with u.but thats just my opinion don't get mad at me u all.I still love my fellow crocheters. OK back on subject. U really did a great job. I think I will make mine hot pink. and my daughter should be starting soon and she loves purple so I think I will make hers purple. thanks for sharing. and sorry to the monitor for getting off subject but we all do have ideals about this issue.Tc my fellow crocheters. and I'm sorry if I made anyone of u mad because of my opinion. I still love u all. Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
HuffPost Taste Test: US Vs. UK Chocolates
How to Make Baileys Sweet and Salty Krispies
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte Muffins
Homemade Cake Pop Recipe
Easy Vanilla Peach Souffle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...