A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Subs for Knitty's Clapotis  (Read 5266 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ibmomof2
« on: January 22, 2005 09:10:45 AM »

I have been searching allover for a reasonably priced sub. The pattern calls for Lornas Laces, Lion and Lamb, it would be $100 to make thise!  Shocked

So I found one girl who knitted it double stranded with a lace weight yarn, and it looks pretty good.  She did have to make it a little smaller since it was lace weight, instead of worsted.

Then someone suggested to me I use Shimmer (from knitpicks), which is a lace weight and to knit it triple strand, to get the "worsted" effect.

If you look at the pattern it consists of dropping stitches, and I am a little concerned about how that would work/look with three strand of yarn.  What do you guys think?

For the record...Noro Silk Garden, Koigu, Artyarns, and a couple others were suggested to me.  But you have to buy more to get the yardage, and it ends up costing just as much as the Lornas Laces.

I even considered splurging on the Lornas LAces, but I can't find it in stock online anywhere  Angry

This is just bugging me. hehe

Liz
THIS ROCKS   Logged

killerdaisy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005 10:52:55 AM »

over at the knitty boards (knittyboard.com) there are about 200 ppl who've done this pattern and subbed yarn for it. scrolling through those pages (the clapotis KAL thread in the KAL section) should tell you everything you need to know

i made one in tahki "shannon" & am making another in schayenmeyer rainbow
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destroyed_sweater
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005 11:47:40 AM »

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive colorful handpainted yarn?  I love the way that Koigu, Lorna's Laces, and Art Yarns look, but they are kind of pricy for a college student.
-Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005 10:55:13 PM »

I ended up getting ArtYarns for Clapotis and deciding to do a smaller version to save on yardage, but afterwards came across -

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420106
THIS ROCKS   Logged

destroyed_sweater
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005 05:27:54 AM »

Can you make a Clapotis with sock yarn?  Lion and Lamb is a worsted weight.  Well, I could just extend all of the rows to make up for the gauge, but does the extra yardage end up costing as much as Art Yarns?  But this yarn is beautiful, and a good substitute for Koigu.  I'm giong to need to make some socks soon!  (I think that sock kntting is really neat, but I live in San Diego and wear flip flops almost every day, socks are useless to me, but darn it, I'm going to make some)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamaspeak
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005 09:19:06 AM »

You can find inexpensive handpained merino at www.handpaintedyarn.com .  I've ordered from them and love the yarn!  It does take a week or two to arrive, but it's well worth it.  I'm finishing up a toddler sweater and the stuff is the most heavenly yarn I've knitted with Cheesy

I have heard of people using it for Clapotis and having good results with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005 09:21:52 AM »

There's also been a lot of discussion about this on KnitList. The consensus seems to be get a lot of extra yarn, regardless of what you chose. It seems that the amount recommeded in the pattern is a bit low.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
legallyblonde
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005 10:25:58 AM »

I'm using Koigu for Clapotis. I had a bunch leftover from a hat I made and an extra skein (maybe 350 yards total?).  I'm making it a lot smaller than the pattern (I think I did only 2 repeats of the increase section instead of 6).  It's working out just fine, although I'm thinking I'll need another skein (I hope my LYS has more!).  I'm using size 6 needles, and I'm happy with how it looks.  It's about 8 inches wide. 

The good thing about the pattern is that you can easily adapt it to the size you want by how many increases you do and how long you work the straight section.  So if you use the sock weight yarn, you don't have to double it unless you choose to.  You could use just about any size yarn and needles, as long as you get a nice drape with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starghoti
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005 07:57:24 PM »

I'm using noro silk garden.  You mentioned it in your post, and yes, it is pricey, but not nearly as much as the Lorna's Laces.  I got 5 skeins (500 meters) for $40 on ebay and I think I just have to cut out one pattern repeat each on the length and the width.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005 08:33:06 AM »

I'm using noro silk garden.  You mentioned it in your post, and yes, it is pricey, but not nearly as much as the Lorna's Laces.  I got 5 skeins (500 meters) for $40 on ebay and I think I just have to cut out one pattern repeat each on the length and the width.

Starghoti, here's a KnitList post on the quantity of silk garden needed to complete this pattern:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knitlist/message/74296

And here's a good suggestion from another poster on how to make sure you have enough yarn:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knitlist/message/74292

I know it's a bit weird responding to this thread with posts from another group, but there's a lot of talk about Clapotis on the KnitList right now, and a lot of great suggestions.  Unfortunately, the archives are a bastard to search and the threads aren't easy to trace.  Most of the Clapotis posts have happened in the last several days though, and contain Clapotis in the subject line.  I guess there's a bit of a Clapotis zeitgeist afoot.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hottest Celebrity Summer Hair Trends
Beach Bunny Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Tips To Make Your Blowout Last
JWoww Sniptease Thursdays: Red Ombre Look
JWoww Sniptease Thursdays: Cotton Candy Hair Dye
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...