A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Time Sewer - help? Tips?  (Read 509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

schtickl
« on: March 12, 2008 04:48:15 PM »

Hey all! As a few of you know, I am a photographer, jewelry designer, and graphic artist. I am attempting my first official photoshoot soon and am in need of some props/clothing. I bought a few things and dont know how to make them bigger. I got a prom dress with black lace and need to make it larger. I have some other stuff I just would like to alter/change myself into something original. How can I start? I dont have a real sewing machine, just a handheld/battery one Sad

Please help! Tongue
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008 05:17:45 PM by schtickl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am going to an incredibly inexpensive jewelry street with about 5 miles of stores - will go shopping for anyone who wants stuff - PM me for details please Smiley

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5488961
zen-art-gallery.deviantart.com

SoRo Jewelry Design
LisaB234
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008 05:00:56 PM »

If you only need the dress for a photoshoot, could you cut up the center back up the dress and put in a corset like lace? That way, any model could wear it, just cinch it in or let it out to fit. Even if you want to show the back it could still work - ask your model to wear a black leotard. . .

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schtickl
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008 05:16:20 PM »

Cool thanks! How would I go about it? im brand new to all of this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am going to an incredibly inexpensive jewelry street with about 5 miles of stores - will go shopping for anyone who wants stuff - PM me for details please Smiley

SoRo Jewelry Design
LisaB234
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008 10:39:14 PM »

Well, I guess it depends on how neat you need to back to look. I'd cut the back of the dress down to the hips, hem the cut edge under (by hand) and then put in grommets. You can get a kit to install the grommets with - hammer, etc OR you could buy grommet tape. Then you can just lace up the back with a ribbon. . . Other ideas anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008 08:24:53 PM »

If you want your sewn things to look professional, get a real sewing machine. Even a very simple and inexpensive one will turn out a better product than those emergency hem fixer things. Better yet, go get a really good used one.
Barring that, sew by hand. Those little hem fixer things are terrible, get rid of it.

Trying to learn to sew with one of those would be like trying to learn to drive using a kids' pedal car.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schtickl
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008 10:13:06 PM »

Cheesy ty - well it was like $4 at the good will store Tongue Yea I guess I'll check craigslist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoRo Jewelry Design
schtickl
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008 10:16:03 PM »

What are some good brands and models? What do i look for when looking for one ? (ie: specs and features?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoRo Jewelry Design
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008 08:48:56 AM »

Here ya go:) happy hunting!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=214760.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Mummy Cupcakes
Blueberry-Ricotta Tart Recipe
Edible Eyeball Jelly For Halloween
How to Make a Fruit Pizza With Cookie Crust
How to Make Healthy Kid-Friendly Blueberry Muffins
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...