A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,623
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I cannot navajo ply!  (Read 694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

devotedplanet
« on: March 12, 2008 02:37:09 PM »

So I am new to spinning. I got a Louet Victoria last week which I love. It was sort of impulsive, I had been using a drop spindle for about a month and had never actually seen a wheel in person. So it was... challenging at first, but fortunately, I love it and I think that I'm really starting to get the hang of it. Except.... for navajo plying.
I've tried several times I get the IDEA of it, and how it works, but I just cannot make it work. I treadle as slow as I can, but my yarn is super twisted and tangled. I have all these loops sticking up in the middle of it and the yarn is really HARD and stiff. It seems over twisted, but I dunno how I can spin any slower. Also, it becomes REALLY hard to treadle. Like, the wheel will jam or slow abruptly, causing it to start going in the opposite direction.
I suspect my singles might be... really over twisted as the yarn is kinking up and tangling before I can chain it. Should I set the twist and try to have it balanced before plying it?
Really though, I have no clue what is causing it to be so hard to get the wheel going in the right direction. It just... jams or something. I guess it's catching on something, but I have no clue what. I only have this problem when plying.
Any suggestions or tips? I'm getting really really frustrated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008 02:59:33 PM »

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/spin-navajo-ply.shtml
Handspinning Yarn - Navajo Ply
THIS ROCKS   Logged

devotedplanet
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008 03:19:39 PM »

Yeah, I've seen that. I'm guessing my singles are way too over-twisted. The yarn between the lazy kate and my hand is always twisted mess, rather than smooth and relaxed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chibilightangel
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008 09:01:52 PM »

I've not tried navajo plying yet (though I've got a single ready to go whenever I get the time). I did read on a blog that it's easier to start out if you have a single where the twist has deadened a bit. She suggested that you try navajo ply with a single that's been on a bobbin for a week or so, that way it's supposed to be a bit less inclined to twist back on itself when you don't want it to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008 07:20:29 AM »

It sounds like you are pulling too much yarn off the bobbin before you can ply it. You want the yarn to be a little slack, but if there is enough hanging there to get knotty and twisty it will make plying from the single a biatch. If you don't have a tensioned lazy kate I would suggest winding the yarn off the bobbin into a center pull ball and trying to ply from that. The yarn will be a bit grabby when balled up and not so much will come loose while you ply. Treadle slowly and chain your yarn like you are crocheting it. Allow enough twist in it and then let it take up into the bobbin, then pull more yarn from your center pull ball and repeat. If your singles seem stiff and unwilling to be plied you may have overtwisted them. Chalk it up to a learning experience and continue trying, you'll get it eventually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
devotedplanet
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008 02:23:06 PM »

Hm, yeah... I don't have a tensioned lazy kate. That sounds like it might make a huge difference. I'll make one and then practice on some cheap red heart that I have to see if I can get the motions down. It sounds like it's a combination of the lazy kate letting up too much yarn and the fact that my singles are so over-twisted. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008 06:47:31 AM »

Hm, yeah... I don't have a tensioned lazy kate. That sounds like it might make a huge difference. I'll make one and then practice on some cheap red heart that I have to see if I can get the motions down. It sounds like it's a combination of the lazy kate letting up too much yarn and the fact that my singles are so over-twisted. Thanks!

one thing I read recently (although I can't remember where Sad ) that I'm planning to try is to do it in 2 steps. Step1, wind the yarn from the bobbin into a ball doing the chains - don't ply - just wind a ball.  Step 2, Attach the end to the bobbin and ply from the ball.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

devotedplanet
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008 08:37:17 AM »

I'm gonna try that, it sounds like it might be a lot easier. Because it's like... I feel like I'm don't have enough hands. I'm trying to pinch the twist off, keep the yarn from knotting up, and chain at the same time and it's just too much too fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Convert to Surface
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Animation Recording
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Motion Picture Tools
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Rotate
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Modeling Interference Checking
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...