A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing a leather bag  (Read 463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

akneedler
« on: March 12, 2008 11:48:38 AM »

Has anyone created leather bags?  I'm hoping to use some leather duster coats I got at the thrift store to make my husband and i bags for on our motorcycles but i'm totally paranoid to cut the leather.  i'm pretty experienced at making bags but figured i'd make a demo first to work out kinks.  is there anything i should know about sewing leather before i start (aside from use leather needle, no cotton thread)?  Does it sew pretty much like a heavy fabric?  Would i have to line it?  what technique should i use to turn seam allowances since an iron won't really work?

thanks for any help anyone can offer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008 08:58:43 PM »

I'm on a public computer and running out of time;  I did the same thing Bought duster Leather coats at a thrift store. Other than what you mentioned, I found that it does sew up like heavy denim. But you have to be careful to not pin your pattern together. (Use paper clips) Otherwise you'll end up with pin holes.  Further, I'd suggest that you do make a toile of whatever you're going to make from the leather (A toile is a couture word for a trial copy.) and work out whatever kinks there might be in your pattern or your sewing or learning (if you have anything to learn) And, I too was very nervous of  cutting the leather. My only suggestion is make sure for certain that you have the right pattern pieces, double check the pattern pieces, cut carefully, and sew neatly. (If you have to rip a seam out, the holes will stay where they were put.) Further, if you haven't paid that much for your duster coat, chances are that you have gotten a huge bargain on your "fabric". Go for it and don't worry too much. Bonne Chance.
I checked out all my magazines and found the one I was looking for (Vogue Patterns magazine Oct/Nov a few years ago: it has an article about making handbags)  They suggest gluing the seam allowances down. I thought that was a lot of foolishness, but when I tore apart my leather dusters, I found that the seam allowances were really glued down. I was surprised.  I tried it and it worked just great.  (I just used a glue stick. It's still holding just fine) For leather, rather than doing to back up and go ahead to strengthen the end of a seam, leave the ends of the thread long and tie a double-knot and then cut the too long threads. Bonne Chance (b.t.w. that's French for Good Luck)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008 02:46:54 PM by hat-and-bag-lady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008 06:58:04 PM »

The nice thing about leather is you don't have to have the 'raw' edges hidden, you can lap the pieces instead. So where a fabric seam looks like this:
_______V_______

a leather seam can be done like this:
-------==________

ok not the best representation but I hope you get the idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Start a Loom Knitting Project
How to Turn Corners in Granny Square Crochet
How to Make Christmas Tree Yoyos 2/2
How to Make Christmas Tree Yoyos 1/2
How to Make a Twisted Knit Stitch Using Three Strings as One
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...