A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to split a ball in half?  (Read 1136 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mnemosyne_LA
« on: March 12, 2008 08:15:57 AM »

So I want to try and make 2 socks at once on two circulars, but I really misjudged the center of the ball of yarn and now have one small ball and one large ball.   Cry

Short of buying one of these ridiculously expensive doodads, how can I figure out where the middle of a ball (or skein) of yarn is so I can make it into two smaller balls?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008 11:01:59 AM »

If you've got a center-pull ball, you could take your yarn from the center for one of the socks and from the outside for the other.  I'm doing this right now for a project that requires 2 strands held together, because I didn't want to buy six skeins (3 colors x 2 skeins of each).

If you've got a skein that needs to be wound into a ball, then instead of winding one big ball from it, you could make two little balls.  Recruit a friend.  Each of you takes one end of the yarn and starts winding.  If you wind at about the same rate, voila - two balls of equal size - cut them apart and start knitting.  (Provided you don't get tangled in the winding process. Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008 08:41:15 PM »

You can also weigh the ball, then start winding off it and making a new until you reach half of that weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008 06:41:28 AM »

Oh sure, gettin' all technical on us.  Wink

In the past I have just wound from either end of the hank into two balls roughly the same size.  I didn't have a friend to help me wind, or even one to hold the yarn, and I don't have a swift, so picture me on the couch with a hang wrapped around my feet, first winding one ball for a few loops, then the other, and figuring that they were freaking close enough, thanks, by the end.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
colorlessblue
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008 07:01:39 AM »

i desperately need to learn how to wind these center-pull balls... when i was doing only crochet i didn't mind breaking the yarn to wind more if one of the balls was smaller in the end, because i didn't have to weave in the ends, but with knitting...  Angry 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather be a climbing ape than a falling angel."
Terry Pratchett
http://colorlessblue.blogspot.com/
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008 07:26:49 AM »

I actually wind it on my hand. I wrap one end on my thumb then start wrapping the rest one my hand diagonally one way then the other way like an X. It comes out like the ones already wound up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008 10:24:41 AM »

I wind mine at the yarn store on their swift/ball winder setup.  That way you've got center pull and outside so you'll end in the middle.

I also have a little kitchen/postage scale.  I think it will weigh up to a pound, so it works for little 100g balls of sock yarn.  I weighed the whole thing, divided it in half and just kept the ball I was winding from on there and cut the yarn when I got to my halfway weight.  I got the scale at Goodwill for $0.50.  Sweet deal for something I actually use! 

Good luck w/ 2 socks at once!  I don't recommend doing your first Cat Bordhi sock pattern that way... that sort of burned me on the idea of 2 socks at once AND Cat Bordhi patterns for a while! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits .blogspot.com
Riki
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008 05:59:31 PM »

In the past I have just wound from either end of the hank into two balls roughly the same size.  I didn't have a friend to help me wind, or even one to hold the yarn, and I don't have a swift, so picture me on the couch with a hang wrapped around my feet, first winding one ball for a few loops, then the other, and figuring that they were freaking close enough, thanks, by the end.  Cheesy
You either don't have cats or locked them up in a room while doing that! I can just see my cats in that situation!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008 06:05:34 PM »

i desperately need to learn how to wind these center-pull balls... when i was doing only crochet i didn't mind breaking the yarn to wind more if one of the balls was smaller in the end, because i didn't have to weave in the ends, but with knitting...  Angry 
I was so excited when I learned how to do this from some magazine eons ago ... take a toilet paper tube, thread the end of the yarn through that, then squeeze the tube and start wrapping around it. For smaller yarn I would cut the tube in half. Then when it is all wound, pull the tube out - and voila - you have a center pull ball of yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008 06:25:04 AM »

You either don't have cats or locked them up in a room while doing that! I can just see my cats in that situation!!!!!

LOL!!  If you tried to do that with cats around, you'd have half a ball of yarn, all right... the other half would be tangled around the cats  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cut Exclusive: ACW Casts NYFW Fall 2013
Who Wore It Best: Michelle Obama or Rihanna?
5 Ways To Wear Prabal Gurung For Target Printed Top
Carbon Copy: Get NYFW Street Style Looks For Less
Coast to Coast Style: Northwest
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...