A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: acrylic paints: how long do they last?  (Read 2136 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HAREandDRUM

I heart decoupage!

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2008 02:39:18 PM »

I'm beginning to grow a collection of acrylic paints (standard craft such as Apple Barrel or Americana). Just wondering: has anybody had experience with them drying up or separating beyond usability in their bottles, assuming they're closed and stored in normal conditions? How long do they last?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find my handcrafted frames at www.hareanddrum.etsy.com
Wickedheart
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008 08:20:30 PM »

I've had some paints for years and they are fine. Some get crappy after a few months.

If you going to work with acrylics I highly reccomend buying a big bottle of matte medium. It really helps with flow and blending for painting and I've used it in paints that were starting to get thick and crappy. I just mixed it in real well with a tiny wisk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HAREandDRUM

I heart decoupage!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008 07:05:47 AM »

Thanks! I did get the medium for blending etc, so I'll monitor the paints and add some in case some start drying up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find my handcrafted frames at www.hareanddrum.etsy.com
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008 08:04:43 PM »

The brands you mentioned are the cheapest of the cheap, high water content & low pigment by proportion. Delta craft paints are far better for the 20 cents more you'll pay per bottle, Golden are aptly named good stuff, too. I've had Delta paints (yes the little bottles) for as much as 5 years and they were still viable, if needing a little stirring to get them back together. (I just don't use burnt orange than much...) I've bought Apple Barrel because the store was out of Delta & tossed it 6 months later.

All craft acrylics will separate if left to sit long enough, what they separate into is the key as to if they can be reconstituted or not. If the clear layer on top of the same pure color the bottle is supposed to be is thick like the paint, it's just the acrylic medium separating from a well blended pigment. If there's a watery layer on top of a thick clear layer on top of a couple colors that are not the tube color, it's beyond hope, toss it. If the color pigments have separated it's not usually recoverable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Traditional Granny Square Pattern
How to Crochet a Tire Tread Blanket Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Thick Square Blanket Part 1/2
How to Crochet a Tire Tread Blanket Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Striped Blanket Method 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...