A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,648
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bird Bag--Opinions Appreciated!  (Read 2282 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katier

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2005 10:35:43 PM »

I'm a first time poster, long time lurker... so hi to everyone!  Wink

This is a bag that I made that I am finally courageous enough to post here. I've been making handbags for some time, but only recently began making my own patterns. For this bag here, I made both the sewing pattern and the embroidery pattern.

For the sewing pattern, I sketched out a simple rectangular design for the flap and body of the bag on leftover Christmas wrapping paper. For the embroidery, I drew an outline of the bird and clouds on the fabric itself using one of those handy-dandy fabric pens that disappears as time passes.

The fabric is a medium-weight brown canvas with some stretch to it. The lining a is simple blue cotton. The front has a hand stitched embroidered bird and the back has a pocket (for cellphone or keys--something you would need easy access to). The pocket has a very simple embroidered edge. The flap up top has 2 embroidered clouds. The strap is about 2.5 yards long and adjustable (rectangular D rings), so almost all body types can use it as a messenger-style bag (over one shoulder and across your chest and back).

I am posting some pics of the bag below. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can offer. As I progress with the unique, one-of-a-kind bag making, I will likely begin selling these online and in local shops, so feedback about potential pricing would also be very helpful to me.

http://www.whateverisay.com/bags/birdbag01.jpg

http://www.whateverisay.com/bags/birdbag02.jpg

http://www.whateverisay.com/bags/birdbag03.jpg

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011 12:11:57 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't need a baby growing inside me for nine months. For one thing, there's morning sickness. If I'm going to feel nauseous and achy when I wake up, I want to achieve that state the old fashioned way: getting good and drunk the night before.
--Ellen DeGeneres
BlueKiwiCat

Nice to meet you, now run for your life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005 02:06:38 AM »

Nice job on the embroidery!  I love the bag!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything less than extraordinary is a waste of my time! (Dream for an Insomniac)
fluffysam
i love whales.

sewing, sewing, sewing some more

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005 07:24:19 AM »

That is very cute. I love the embroidery, and the stitching on the pocket is a great touch. It looks so professional, but it also has the cute handmade look. It's not my colors, but I think someone would definitely buy it. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Sam

Fluffyland - A shop filled with handmade cuteness! Whales, Narwhals, Wrist Wallets, and more!
http://www.fluffyland.com

Fluffyland Craft & Sewing Blog
Photos & Tutorials & Haiku!
http://www.fluffyland.com/blog
BlueEyedMary
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005 08:13:37 AM »

Really like the embroidery for pricing....25 dollars? im not sure...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God bless the daylight, the sugary smell of springtime, remembering when you were mine in a still suburban town...
kate conspiracy
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005 08:33:50 AM »

The embroidery is really cute - but I'm wondering why you have the buckle/D-rings (can't quite tell which it is) on so the extra strap points up? If it's a design choice, fine, but it would lay flatter towards the body, and be more likely to stay put, if you did it this way - make two straps, one 50% longer than the other (so 1/3 of the strap length of one piece, and 2/3 is the other piece). Sew D-rings/buckle on the end of the long strap, and attach the other end to one side of the bag. Then attach the short piece of the other side of the bag. Thread the short strap through the D-rings. This way the extra bit will point down. 1/3:2/3 might not be the right ratio for the look you want, it's just as an example.

It looks like a great spring time bag, especially with the sky blue lining - I like the proportions of the flap to the rest of the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005 08:38:38 AM »

Chocolate brown and robin's egg blue!  One of my favorite color combinations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
katier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005 05:30:02 PM »

Thank you all for the feedback; it was very helpful. Grin

BlueKiwiCat: Thank you. Am I blushing? Heh.

fluffysam: That's exactly what I was going for, so to have you say it without being prompted (ok, I admit I sometimes drop hints to my cats) is awesome.

BlueEyedMary: Thanks for the pricing tip. It's definitely in the ballpark with my own guess-timates.

kate conspiracy: You know, I actually thought about that, but when I washed the fabric, it came out looking weathered. It definitely is not a "nice" fabric, but rather more worn. I thought that the really floppy strap sort of added to this look. I'm the first to admit that it's not as sturdy as I would like. Rectifying it with a bit of velcro might be the way I fix the issue with this one. Thanks for the advice.

Sewer Rat: Ditto that one.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't need a baby growing inside me for nine months. For one thing, there's morning sickness. If I'm going to feel nauseous and achy when I wake up, I want to achieve that state the old fashioned way: getting good and drunk the night before.
--Ellen DeGeneres
Carly Caron

Hey this is my goat Millie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005 05:41:27 PM »

;DGreat job! I love it, but the bird has no feet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If the world didn't suck a little bit, then we'd all fall off...

http://www.kurlie77.etsy.com/
katier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005 06:02:41 PM »

;DGreat job! I love it, but the bird has no feet!

So nice of you to notice! That's kind of my little inside joke. There's footprints, but no feet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Ellen DeGeneres
quaint eccentric
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005 10:00:48 PM »

that birdy is so purdy - birds rock
i have a pet birdy Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when we are born we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools - william shakespeare
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 10/15
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 8/10
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...