A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you think of this spinning wheel?  (Read 1420 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Flowers and Lemons
« on: March 11, 2008 03:36:12 AM »

I found a spinning wheel for a very low prize, and even in the place I live, so no shipping costs. I'm just not sure if it's one I could handle. The advertisement says it's in a good state. I've never spun on a spinning wheel, so I was hoping maybe you could give me advice on how it looks. Is this a good deal??
This is the advertisement (I can't link the pictures, they are protected, but you can click on them for a bigger view);
http://link.marktplaats.nl/154530000

Thanks a lot in advance!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lazykitty
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008 04:57:28 AM »

The picture is not very clear and I wonder why the flyer and bobbin are just hanging there (ok, some people really haven't got a clue about spinningwheels  Grin), but if it's in the place you live, contact them and have a look. And if it's worth it, buy it (it's really a small price!), if it's not just say it isn't what you are looking for after all.

But I think there are better deals on Marktplaats even if they are more expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flowers and Lemons
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008 05:41:30 AM »

Thanks for your reply. I'm now looking a bit further. I found out that in the place near to mine, three other cheap spinning wheels were on sale. Those looked a little less shabby than this one.  Cheesy
I'm still not quite sure.

What are your experiences with second hand wheels? When I search on craftster I only find discussions about new wheels..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pmpknpunk
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008 05:58:43 AM »

I have a second hand wheel I purchased on e-bay from the Netherlands and I have learned to love it! I did not like it at first, it needed work, but that actually gave me an opportunity to learn about the parts of my wheel and really think about how it all works together! Advice I ignored when purchasing was to look for more than one bobbin with the wheel. I couldn't agree more now! I only have 1 bobbin and now that I want to ply and do other things I wish I had more! Bobbins are not easy to find for older wheels and I will probably have to have some made, but I don't know where to have that done. I've had my older/second hand wheel for 2 months now and find myself wanting a new wheel, but not wanting to part with my old one. There are pluses and minuses but it's personal preference. I am happy with my 2nd hand wheel! Good luck in your search, when you see one you'll just know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008 06:27:35 AM »

Second hand wheels are fine, antique wheels are a different animal.  Like Pumpkin stated, the lack of bobbins for an antique is a BIG deal!  It really limits you.

An older wheel from a known wheel manufacturer (Ashford, Kromski, Schacht, Louet, et al) is usually okay since you can still get parts for them.

If you have a chance to look at an older wheel, see if someone can demonstrate it in operation.  If there isn't, get familiar with the common parts of a spinning wheel.  The treadles, footman arms, drive wheel, mother-of-all (which holds the maidens, flyer & bobbin), the whorl and the tensioner.  These all need to work for you to spin on the machine.

A smaller drive wheel (as the one in the photo) will mean that you will need to treadle more.  Large drive wheels mean you need to treadle very slowly so the yarn isn't taken up too quickly.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008 06:28:51 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
lazykitty
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008 07:17:51 AM »

Here are my wheels

The large (secondhand) wheel is a Bea or Willy and there are still a lot of them on Marktplaats. Mine was a bit worn and rough and I replaced her brakesystem with one of Louet, because the original was crap. I also made a skeinwinder at the back. But I wanted a better wheel and then bought the Louet Victoria. There is no comparison between the two. The Bea since then functions as my Plyingmonster and does a good job (compare bobbinsize  Grin). I don't think I'd recommend her though.
Thanks for your reply. I'm now looking a bit further. I found out that in the place near to mine, three other cheap spinning wheels were on sale. Those looked a little less shabby than this one.  Cheesy
I'm still not quite sure.

What are your experiences with second hand wheels? When I search on craftster I only find discussions about new wheels..
I hope one of the three you found will be good for you.

For old and one of a kind bobbins I suggest you find yourself a friendly carpenter or someone with woodturning skills. You probably be without your one and only bobbin for a while, but get more in return. Don't forget to order more than 6, you'll need them later!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008 07:39:04 AM »

My Louet S10 was purchased used on ebay from the netherlands here is a link to the sellers ebay auctions.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcatchme8161
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008 01:04:52 PM by Star217 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Flowers and Lemons
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008 12:29:42 PM »

I've contacted some sellers in my area and this is the one I prefer;
http://link.marktplaats.nl/153395815
(scroll down for the pictures)
It looks more sturdy than the others, and has 10 bobbins to go with it.
They sell it for 50 euros.
What do you think?
I've never spun on anything else than my dropspindle, but I think it looks allright.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kayla_Wte

Time to put yer big-girl panties on!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008 03:47:48 PM »

50 Euros?  With 10 bobbins?  Yeah, i'd be taking that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - Plied:
http://kaylaunicorn.blogspot.com

My Etsy:
http://plied.etsy.com

I sell and trade my handspun on Ravelry.  Username KaylaWte.  Add me!!!
Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008 01:50:09 AM »

10 bobbins? Sounds like an awesome deal and the wheel looks spinnable too. Perhaps the bobbins are a bit on the smaller side, but for normal spinning that's fine (Ashford's normal bobbins are pretty small as well).

Best of luck,
Veronika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Effective Dandruff Shampoo
How To Rock The Fishtail Braid Hairstyle
Glossy and Shiny Hair in 4 Steps
Amoy Pitters of Amoy Couture: VIBE VIXEN Salon Takeover
How to Create Marilyn Monroe-Inspired Hollywood Hair
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...