A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how long should drum carding a batt take?!?  (Read 1364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2008 01:21:48 AM »

So I got myself a new toy recently. A Strauch petite drum carder. I love it! Only thing is that it takes me SOOOOOOOOooooooooo long to card anything!  And I'm starting with roving!  I can't imagine starting out with raw wool or something.

So, let's put a sort of poll out there. How long does it take you to card up a batt on your drum carder? I realize everyone's answer will be different. Depends on the model of carder, the type of fiber, etc. I just want to get a general idea. Cause I've spent up to 2 hours on less than one ounce of fiber on the petite!  ouch! =0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pmpknpunk
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008 06:17:00 AM »

I have a Louet fine cloth carder and I can make 2 oz batts from start to finish in about half hour to 45 minutes. I sometimes run them through more than once so I would say that's an average. I'm newer at it too so I'm sure there are some Super Batt Makers that can really turn them out fast, but that's my average time frame. HTH, have you watched the YouTube video on drum carding? EXTREMELY helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008 06:17:17 AM »

This roving took me less than an hour on a Patrick Green Deb's Deluxe.

I made up 4 batts combining white corriedale roving and burgandy mill ends. Split and mixed those batts and carded at least 4 times.

Took some pre-carded Shetland batts, fluffed them up, made batt with a layer of the Shetland and a layer of the 'pink'.

This all took about half hour or so.

Pulled them into roving.

There's about 8 oz of batts:

Less than 2 hours to spin my first bobbin:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008 06:18:44 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Star217
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008 07:49:32 AM »

It takes me about 1/2 hour to make a 2oz batt from commercial wool and closer to an hour when I am carding from a scoured fleece. It takes less time when I am working on a texture batt (a batt with locks and sparlke and fun stuff that won't be spun consistent.) I would check out Rexenne on Youtube. I'd post a link but no youtube at the office. She has wonderful videos that go over step by step how to card a batt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
mooshie
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008 08:45:36 AM »

MULLERSLANEFARM, those bats, roving, and yarn are beautiful! 

I haven't gotten my carder yet, but when it gets here I'll see how long it takes me.  wonder how long that'll be??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008 12:11:55 PM »

thanks you guys! This is all so informative and helpful! I do know how to card a batt. I just was wondering how long it was taking other ppl to do. I think things may be compounded by the fact that I bought a bunch of bamboo and tencel and silkies to blend.  I do have the brush attachment for my baby (we call it Bob the Carder!) and it seems to help a lot with the whispies, but maybe that's why I've been so dang slow?  I don't know. Plus I'm sure pmpknpunk is right that the more you do the faster you get. And I really haven't done that many. So thanks so much for your help! ;0)
craftster rocks!
ps- mullerslanefarm: I'm so jealous of your pat green and thosw batts and roving look luscious! thanks for responding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feralfeminine
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008 02:04:04 PM »

Eep, two hours! It takes me like 10 minutes to card 4oz (2 2oz batts) if I'm carding from roving or anything other than raw fleece. And I do add in lots of stuff (bamboo, sparkle, mohair, etc). Maybe I just don't realize how long it takes?? I'm definitely going to start timing myself now.

I have a Strauch Finest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008 03:11:20 PM »

I don't have a carder, but I used one while in my spinning class.  We used a big  Louet carder...I think it was pretty old.  The framework was large, but the drum and licker-in were normal-sized. 

Anyway, I was basically blending different colors of Corriedale already in roving form and only passed it through once,.  I'm with feralfeminine...it only took me a few minutes.  I think I got about 1 1/2 ounces. 

Maybe I'm not completely understanding the question?  Did your batt-making time  include time cleaning the carder to prep for the next batt?   Huh
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008 03:12:10 PM by nicolassa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
lazykitty
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008 05:22:19 AM »

Yum, mullerslanefarm, your batts make my mouth water. They remind me of something chocolate and cream and cherry for dessert.
My carder has 36pts per square inch and in my case it really depends on what kind of fiber I use. Some only needs to be carded twice, some other 5 or 6 times and very slow cranking. I have never tried carding roving yet, but I know there's a big difference in time between alpaca and silk or coarser material like milksheep (that really goes like; pluck-and-tease-washed-fleece, ram-through-drumcarder-at-high-speed, divide-batt-into-4-parts, repeat-procedure, done!)

milksheep batts
I use a dogbrush to help straighten the fibers some more when the fibers are on the carder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Star217
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008 07:49:26 AM »

A dog brush is a good tool I use my doffer brush to straighten the fibers and prevent fly aways since Louet carders don't have a brush attachement. And Nicolassa I do count cleaning the carder in my time allowance since it is necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Marinade Spicy Vampire Batwings
How to Make Yummy Cheese Balls
How to Prepare a Chicken and Roast Pepper Sandwich
How to Prepare Barbecued Marinated Chicken
How to Cook a Chicken Ramen
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...