A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glue wash?  (Read 548 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roksan
« on: March 10, 2008 10:34:49 PM »

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest an effective method of affixing, say, magazine clippings or photographs onto a canvas, in order to then paint over them?  Like a wash of some sort that could be painted on to ensure no lifted edges? 

The girl at the art store, I believe, suggested acrylic medium.  She told me it's fairly sticky and might work. 

I thought you all might have some other ideas though, or is the acrylic medium a good bet?  And could you tell me whether each method would be glossy or matte?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008 10:46:15 AM »

Elmer's school glue and water.

If it holds flock to a mini, it'll work for paper! Citadel also makes a pva glue that's expensive, but holds a bit better. I thin it down, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Sheila
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008 12:27:49 PM »

Acrylic medium or a glue wash will or atleast, SHOULD work. I sometimes use modge podge in place of acrylic medium because I can't be bothered to go buy it :/. It works fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ceej112
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008 01:09:39 PM »

The elmers glue + water should work out nicely. But I've tried the mod podge myself and I didn't have any problems with it!

good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i sleep, i eat, i craft.

my etsy
www.batteriesnotincluded.etsy.com
RagnazIdnar
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008 12:27:58 AM »

It really depends on how professional you are wanting your piece. I can't really attest to the elmer's glue idea because I haven't used it. The problem that I anticipate with it, though, is that if you get it thick in some areas it will look sorta cloudy. Mod podge will also.

You're best bet is the acrylic medium. It was designed for use on canvas and you can buy it in either a gloss or a matte finish. If you want gloss it is simple called "acrylic gloss medium" and matte is just "matte medium." This at least gives you an option, plus it dries really clear either way. I have used this and it works wonderfully. You brush some of the medium on the canvas, place the paper on top, and brush a little more over the top of the paper to seal it in. Let it dry and you're set! You can add as many layers on top as you wish. One thing to keep in mind when collaging on canvas is that it causes that surface to become more brittle and less flexible, so you are best to use stretched canvas and avoid storing it where it might get punctured from behind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate a Bisque with Red Iron Oxide
How to make 3D tiles
How to make a Porcelain Pot with a Stained Clay Marble Effect
Finished Pieces from the Kiln
How to Throw a Small Bowl on the Wheel
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...