A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: octopus messenger bag--my first craft in a LONG time--UPDATED  (Read 3344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fjordtjie
« on: March 10, 2008 09:18:18 PM »

i finally found the inspiration to do something again!  it took a few hours of precious study time, but was well worth the procrastination.  got the idea of the octopus from BambiKhantastic's infamous, glorious octopus hoodie, but never did I believe i could pull it off.  i'm going to joann this weekend to blow my coupon on some nice ribbon before it expires to jazz up the plain edges.  

the bag is less dreary than in the photo, but the octopus is pretty much true.  what do you think?

it's still blank on the back, so if anyone has a marine zoological suggestion to fill a big rectangle, i'd love to hear it!
ps  also my very first craftster post ever!   kind of lame it wasn't really original, but i was glad for just wanting to do anything at all--end of winter sucks!

update!

so, it's been years and i half-finished a cuttlefish.  it had a light blue blob body, an eye, and the yellow undulating membrane, but i didn't finish it.

last night i finally garnered up the courage to try out the cuttlefish and BAM!  this is what happened. 

i used this: http://edboyden.org/pictures/mon/photos/DCP_0890%20cuttlefish.JPG as inspiration for the stripes, so the colors, like with the octopus, don't actually occur in nature.  i was worried the octopus would look better than the cuttlefish, but i think it ended up being the other way around, which isn't so bad in my book : )  it certainly gives me more confidence in my painting, so i'll definitely be doing more of these in the near future!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010 11:53:03 AM by fjordtjie - Reason: finally finished it! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
narhloki
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008 09:48:58 PM »

very cool, I like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

octopusgirl13

Octopus love <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008 09:53:34 PM »

oh my! I love it! I am a huge octopus lover! I love the colors there beautiful! i think some jelly fish floating on the back would be super cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008 10:31:57 AM »

Ohh, yeah - jellyfish would be perfect on the back!  Still lots of squiggly arms like the Octopus, but not the same thing, ya know?

Great job on spicing up the bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
osmate77
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008 10:56:22 PM »

That is great!  It's funny because I am planning on making a bag for a good friend of mine who also loves octopi Smiley  I am thinking of a mini-bowling bag style (tutorial kindly provided here!) and need to do some research on what kind of octopus to applique on it.  Your's is lovely, but I promise not to copy!  I am glad you found some inspiration to make such a cute bag Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chilledsoup
biogeek extraordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008 01:54:43 PM »

I like it a lot!  I'm also a big fan of that hoodie, and I am super impressed with your octopus messenger bag take off!  I went out looking for a plainish messenger bag to decorate last weekend but couldn't find any =(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsatama
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008 12:47:47 PM »

oooh so cute Cheesy  i'd pick a  blowfish for the back, or a baby octopus trying to catch up with its mom/dad   Cheesy hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lesleegirl
You Rock My Small Self-Centered Universe

Of all the friends I've had you're the first.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008 07:21:19 AM »

Great job on the octopus!  I like the idea of jelly fish on the back, or how about a Jules Vern type submarine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaledrina
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008 09:10:50 PM »

Octopi! I love octopi!

Serpent starfish look pretty cool... lionfish (would be hard), corals (sea whips are my fave), eels, pufferfish..  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fjordtjie
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008 10:56:09 AM »

thanks for the replies!  i think my favorites would be the pufferfish or jules verne submarine...but i am drowning in homework and shouldn't do anything quite yet.

i spend so much time trying to figure out what would be the best way to do something, i never start because i don't want to waste the supplies--i need to jump into projects more often.  the octopus actually started as a failed calvin and hobbes silkscreen...seems backpack fabric+unframed silkscreen+coffe table = fail.

i have a few other blank bags (and about 100 waiting to be made).  i'm thinking of putting the submarine on a teal bag i have, then having a giant squid wrapped around it.  that or a whale.

thanks again for the suggestions and support!  i'll post the finished product when i can do it!--probably after finals!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie Recipe
Whole-Grain Buttermilk Triple Berry Pancake Recipe
Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Mac and Cheese
The Legendary Brown Hotel Hot Brown
Kentucky Derby Bourbon Balls Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...