A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quittin' for Knittin': A smokers guide to quitting smoking Knit-A-Long!!!!  (Read 2853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

taloola
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2005 06:07:27 PM »

Hey everyone...this was an idea that came from a bunch of us in another post who have collaborated and come up with this quit-a-long

Are you thinking about quitting...this is the way to do it!!!  I quit smoking just 21 days ago...and I feel that knitting is the only reason I have made through so many days.  (wow, that reads like an infommercial!!!)  anyhow...the few of us have inspired ourselves and we decided to knit this fellow craftster's tube top that is simply yummy...Join us in our effort to defeat the smoking with knittin sticks!

you can take a peek at the this lovely tube top in the completed projects section under "jiffy tube: top in a jiff" and/or Flapperjacks blog   http://woolywooskie.blogspot.com/2005/01/jiffy-tube-top-in-jiff-updated.html

Heres Miss Flapperjack's pattern  (Thank you Flapperjack!!!  This Toobie rocks!)l
Materials:

2 Skeins Lion Brand Jiffy (I used white)
US 9, 24" Circular needles

Directions:

CO 90

Row 1: Join, work rib pattern in K2, P2 for (20 rows)

Row 21: K38, P1, K12, P1, K rest of row (4rows)

Row 25: K38, P1, C6b, C6f, P1, K rest of row.

Row 26: Repeat Row 21 for 8 rows

Row 35: Repeat Row 25

Row 36: Repeat Row 26 - Row 35 6X... after final cable stitch, work Row 21 for four more rows.

Finishing off: work rib pattern in K2, P2 for 10 rows, bind off and weave tail into work.

Fin. ;-)

gauge stuff for this tube top:  7.25st = 4" : 20 rows = 4" on No. 9, 24" circular needles

(On the skein of Jiffy Yarn itself, the gauge is 11st = 3" : 9 rows =2" on No.10 needles in St st.)

A note from the tube top queen who made this excellent pattern, Craftsters very own, Flapperjack!:  Hey guys, I'm psyched you've decided to make my tube top! Just a little heads-up though... when you bind off, see if you can bind off in a K2, P2 way,(i'm not sure if this is even possible. I've never tried it, but I'm trying to visualize it) because while everything else fit fine, it was a tid bit snug at the top where I bound off regularly. If this doesn't work, perhaps try increasing your stitches in the last several rows, before binding off.
Good luck!  Cheesy

alrighty guys!!!  give up one set of sticks for another!!!  and think of all the yarn you can buy after giving up the ciggies!!!!   oooh-la-la!!! 

any questions give me a holler!!!  I am so excited about this top!  i bought a luschious lovely pale green for it!  i hope you all will join us in our smokeless efforts!!!!

anjie
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005 06:22:27 PM by taloola » THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizajane1962
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005 07:48:40 PM »

EmbarrassedHi, I need to quit smoking, but as you can see by my graphic, am a little terrified of the ensuing psychological ill health I'll suffer without my trustry mood modifiers (or cigarettes) However, I must try it. It is time and I don't want those wrinkles around my mouth that old lady smokers get--Ewww!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005 12:44:34 AM »

oh this is surely a sign from the knitting gods, yes it is.  just today i was discussing quitting this nasty ol' habit, and now, it is certain! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justlittleolme
Full of Craft

are you full of craft?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005 11:23:17 AM »

i quit 22 days ago and i've been trying anything crafty to keep my mind off smoking.  i would love to do this knit-a-long, but i'm just not that experienced.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizajane1962
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005 07:59:53 PM »

Wink I really want to do this but do not want a tube top.  Perhaps I'll knit along but with another pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujyfruit
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005 08:33:34 PM »

i smoked my last cigarette TODAY. i swear, this time i'm reallyreally quitting. anyway, i'm making a bag with susan powter on it. (remember her? the "stop the insanity" lady? she told me i have to be healthy...haha)
so, i'm not knitting the same thing, but the no-smoking support would be awesome. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005 08:37:45 PM »

I don't smoke, but I just wanted to say that I think this is an awesome idea!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blendercrush
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005 09:06:17 PM »

SUPER FUNNY!!!!! 

I quit smoking over 2 months ago and I have learned to and have become an obsessed knitter.  I also brushed up on my crocheting skills.  I got bored with scarve quite quickly while trying every kind of yarn I could get my hands on.  I have also knitted + felted a bag and I am now working on three sweaters at once.  I am super anal so there have been many other projects that were started and "frogged" (I hope I am using the correct terminology?)

I do wonder if I have spent more money on knitting supplies than I would have on smokes......

I thought that it was going to be so much harder than it actually was.  All of my friends smoke.  I am actually fine being around smokers now because I find the smoking/smokers repulsive.  I did start with the patch but it's all mental.  I did initially miss having a cig in my hand in a social/bar/drinking situation.....but now there's a knitting needle!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elizajane1962
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005 11:36:27 AM »

Susan Powter lives in my town.  She is completely insane and now has multicolored dreadlocks. A little FYI Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005 04:03:39 PM »

if your not into the tube top, check out  "tempting" in the Winter Knitty.  Super simple to knit, and you can substitute the yarn out like a crazy thing. 

i haven't had a cigarette in 8 hours...i'm so excitted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Interview with Comic Book Artist Larry Hama
How to Create an Oil Painting of a Tree
How to Mix Colours to Form Green Paint
How to Pick Calligrphy Tools
How to Apply Calligraphy Tools
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...