A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
300 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tulle gathered skirt: need help  (Read 782 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alacorn
« on: March 10, 2008 01:51:44 PM »

im making a tulle gathered skirt for my prom dress... it will have AT LEAST 10 layers of tulle and 1 bottom layer of satin to keep it from being see though and itchy. my questions are:
1. can i gather all the layers together? or do i have to do each layer seperate?
2. how should i finish off the edges?
3. how wide should i cut the fabric?
4. how wide and what type of stich should i use?
5. what size needle should i use?

(picture of how i want the skirt to turn out)
http://www.cbslimited.com/prom-dresses/detail_prom_joli_prom-8097

thanx!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008 09:06:10 PM »

yes you can gather the layers together .. actually it might be easier to do  them sepeatly though .. because if you use a wide straight stitch the tulle should actually gather itself ... I hope that helps at least some
 good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008 08:51:37 PM »

1. Gathered separately might be more work, but it might be poofier. Also, attach it so that the fabric folds over itself to make it stand out more.
2. Don't finish the edges, this is the great thing about tulle, it doesn't ravel.
3. For 10 layers I don't really know, and it really depends how poofy you want it. If you want tight full gathers you will need more, for medium gathers you need 3x your hips plus. I really don't know how many times that skirt would take. To give you an idea, your satin skirt lining will be flared at the bottom and skinnier at the hips/waist. Take the bottom measurement, times by 3 or 4 or more. Depending on how tall you are, if you get 72" tulle you might be able to fold it in half or cut it in half and seam it. Meaning you might only need half as much fabric.
4. Straight Stitch, basting stitch.
5. Universal or lightweight needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alacorn
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008 09:09:15 PM »

thanx guys Cheesy this helps a lot!

yes you can gather the layers together .. actually it might be easier to do  them sepeatly though .. because if you use a wide straight stitch the tulle should actually gather itself ... I hope that helps at least some
 good luck

1. Gathered separately might be more work, but it might be poofier. Also, attach it so that the fabric folds over itself to make it stand out more.
2. Don't finish the edges, this is the great thing about tulle, it doesn't ravel.
3. For 10 layers I don't really know, and it really depends how poofy you want it. If you want tight full gathers you will need more, for medium gathers you need 3x your hips plus. I really don't know how many times that skirt would take. To give you an idea, your satin skirt lining will be flared at the bottom and skinnier at the hips/waist. Take the bottom measurement, times by 3 or 4 or more. Depending on how tall you are, if you get 72" tulle you might be able to fold it in half or cut it in half and seam it. Meaning you might only need half as much fabric.
4. Straight Stitch, basting stitch.
5. Universal or lightweight needle.

thesingingllamas: say i wanted a skirt as poofy as the one in the image link i provided. approx. how much times my hip mesurement do you think i would need? and is there a special technique to gathering tulle? i know of two diffrent ways to gather on a sewing machine. how would you do it?

and violentjayne i love your work <3
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008 09:36:32 PM by alacorn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
krtek
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008 11:02:04 AM »

say i wanted a skirt as poofy as the one in the image link i provided. approx. how much times my hip mesurement do you think i would need?
You pretty much can't go wrong, using a 1:3 ratio (=you take three times your hip measurement). But I'm sure there is a hooped skirt underneath that dress in your reference pic. Tulle alone won't give you that look (not even 10 layers, I'm afraid Undecided).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008 11:19:58 AM »

If there isn't a hoop it has stiffer netting underneath. I put this under my prom dress and used the 3X and had 3 layers, but it still wasn't as poofy as I expected. Go into a bridal shop and look at the poofy dresses, look at the underneath and see how they are made. Go to the fabric store, find patterns, you don't even have to buy them, just open them up, look at the instructions and look at the fabric requirements.

The thing about using the 1:3 ratio is that with cotton or a fabric like that it works well. With tulle, it is thinner and see through so that ratio won't look as impressive as if you did it with another fabric.

To gather it, do the easiest way you know how. I personally think the zigzag over thicker thread (button thread, upholster thread) is easiest, but forgot that when gathering the current petticoat I'm doing- the 48 yard one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008 02:58:57 AM »

when i make floofy tulle petticoats i gather with fishing line in big basting stitches, then pull it tight then straight stitch over it.   you might want to consider a tiered petticoat and then 1 or 2 straight layers over it as tiers give heaps of poofy ness
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matt Ruby on How Flow State of Mind Elevates Stage Performance
Matt Ruby on How to Control Comedy Voice Entertaining Audiences
Matt Ruby on How a Comedian Finds Inspiration Interviewing Peers
How Success Shapes Standup Comedy Career Growth
How a Comedian Creates Meaningful Career Goals
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...