A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amazing fabric...need reconstruct ideas (img)  (Read 1384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2008 01:33:58 PM »

Brand new Craftster here, and already asking questions!

I bought this skirt on eBay about 2 years ago.  I fell in love with the fabric immediately and sniped it at midnight for a total cost of less than $15.  It is a size 18 woven cotton circle skirt (with a few random ill-sewn sequins scattered about and falling off in many places).  It fits fine, but a woven circle skirt is not a great look on a plus size gal with my measurements (size 18-22 hourglass).  It adds inches to my already ample backside.  I cannot bear to part with the material, so I am looking for some reconstruct ideas that will transform these works of art into a new work of art!

My sewing skills are improving, but I am ideally looking for something that a novice can construct.  I have successfully worked with patterns in the past, but it has been many years (I am 32).

the skirt spread out in all its glory

and a closeup of some of the artworks featured on it
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008 02:35:55 AM by digital misfit - Reason: replace links with images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
bananabanana
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008 12:52:27 AM »

I have three ideas:
1. wear it over your boobs like a dress. Use a belt under boobs to stop being an A frame shape. Attach straps if necessary. Wear over jeans or another skirt if too short. ( I did this in reverse and turned a dress into a skirt but that's another story)

2. chop it up and make wide legged pants. There looks like heaps of fabric there.

3. cut all the way from waistline down to the bottom hem, then make a wrap around skirt with a contrast tie. I love wrap-arounds, they are more flattering and figure hugging in a nice way.

BTW I love that fabric too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008 10:56:54 AM »

Great ideas!

I LOVE wrap skirts and definitely agree that they are more flattering.  I am not sure that this skirt lends itself to wrap-ability ( Grin ) as the waist is JUST the right size, and zips up - not elastic.  There would be no waist to wrap.  The circumference of the skirt is approx 109" with a length of about 29".  It is a lightweight but rigid no-stretch cotton.

After poking around craftster more, I have been thinking about a way to turn it into an infinity dress with a solid complimentary fabric for the top (actually, with so many colors to choose from, I thought about making removable tops that snap or zip or button onto the skirt, but I am getting out of my league there).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008 11:04:16 AM »

Can you deconstruct it so it's just fabric again and start over with something new?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
digital misfit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008 02:28:48 AM »

I could, but it would pose a challenge as the pattern design seems to be MEANT to be in that darn giant circle.  I would have to do a lot of cutting and combine it with complimentary fabrics.  I am not unwilling to do this, but I need to be inspired before I hack up something that is currently functional (if not entirely flattering).  At least I know that finding fabrics to go with it should not be too hard - almost any rich solid color will match well.

When I bought the skirt, the seller was not online so I didn't even know the size or measurements - it was simply described as "plus size boutique skirt".  I didn't care - I figured if it didn't fit I could belt it or make pillows from it LOL!  Since finding craftster, pillows seem FAR too boring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008 04:48:59 AM »

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008 04:38:25 PM »

I second wrap skirt & you can add a panel of plain black for the under-wrap to keep you decent Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008 09:52:03 AM »

I'm a fan of wrap skirts, but I do understand that a waist that's *just right* isn't going to lend itself naturally.  Could you remove some of the fabric in the seams, though, and make it a 1/2 circle skirt?  (Invent seams, if need be)  I got on a circle skirt kick for a while, but they really just weren't flattering, and I accidentally cut one wrong, and ended up with a perfect 1/2 circle skirt, and it made all the difference in the world!

Ooh, or, a little more complicated, you could take in just the top half of the skirt to make it a fit'n'flare sort of deal.  For this, I'd work in quarters, nipping in just below the hip.  I don't know if I'm being clear on this idea at all...  Good luck, though!  The fabric is gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008 09:08:54 PM »

Looking again, I see what you mean about the pattern lending itself to the circle. Since it fits so well in the waist, how does it fit in the hip area? Can you maybe nip in some of the fullness with new side seams to make a more a-line skirt?
I have a smaller waist with a big booty too, so I know about the horror a circle skirt can wreak on that sort of figure. But that is some seriously gorgeous fabric- I hope you can figure something out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
bananabanana
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008 06:25:50 PM »

I am starting to think you should cut up your skirt.
A shop called Taking Shaper here in Aus mixes print fabric with plain with lovely effect. Here's a link..
http://www.ts14plus.com.au/collection_winter2008.html(it's winter stuff so mostly dark colours but you get the idea.)
You could make a 6 or 8 gored skirt with a constrasting colour and have triangles of mona lisa etc at the bottom...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Zimmerman NYFW Spring 2015 Collection
Costello Tagliapietra - NYFW Spring 2015 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How to Get Winged Eyeliner
Back to School Grooming Makeovers for Teens
How to Conceal Unwanted Tan Lines in 5 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...