A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FAVE CRAFTING PLACES IN WICHITA? TELL ME YOURS  (Read 4121 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brookeincraftland
BROOKE

formerly was polKadOt_iT.then they took over :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 10, 2008 02:07:47 AM »

hey everyone- I would love to be able to talk to people from the wichita area about crafting places, events, like crafting fairs. ANYTHING, new stores etc. Or just to get in touch with people in your area Smiley I really wish there was a fun crafting club or something here. I know when I went to McPherson for something I saw they had a pottery place there with blank pieces, 150 to choose from and stuff you could paint and decorate there and they would fire it for you.!!! Is there one here?  Anyways

LET ME KNOW Smiley
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008 02:08:56 AM by polKadOt_iT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have paint all over my fingers and fabric all over the floor. Yeah it was a good day!
MsMary
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008 07:40:45 PM »

here in Salina there is a pottery place that's fun---a bit pricey. "On The Pot".

thank goodness we have Hobby Lobby though. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arcadian green
I wants flies in on dragons!

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008 12:54:25 PM »

During the fall I go to the craft shows in Hillsboro and Marion with family. Last fall in my mailbox I received a list of craft/art events here in Wichita. They were all during the fall and winter season. I didn't have any money so I didn't get to go to any.

I would really love to take some classes through CityArts. I just haven't decided when and what I would want to take!

If you are intrested in pottery you might check this place out. I haven't been there but it might be fun. http://www.stonewarestudioonline.com/

Here's one more place: http://www.clay-art-studio.com/index.html 

Smiley
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008 08:21:45 AM by arcadian green » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008 02:12:47 PM »

I just started a new topic to try to get Wichita area crafty folk together - I hope there's some interest! You can find it here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=236518.0

There is a carving show at the Cessna Activity Center at 2744 S. George Washington Blvd. here in Wichita on April 5-6, 2008. Even if carving isn't your cup of tea, check it out - my dad has been involved in one way or another for the past several years and so I've had a chance to see what's there - you'd be surprised at what people make. My favorites are the tree-bark castles - very cool-looking. Smiley

arcadian green, would you please share the list you got in your mailbox? Was there a web link or anything?

Hmm, as for crafting places, I only know of the big generic stores - Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and then JoAnn's and Hancock Fabrics, which also have non-sewing crafty stuff. I've heard the Heritage Hut is good for yarn fetishes, and Twist sounds pretty neat, if perhaps pricey. So if you know of some good places, don't hesitate to post them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
arcadian green

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008 07:13:01 AM »

arcadian green, would you please share the list you got in your mailbox? Was there a web link or anything?

I only had a printed copy and I can't remember what it was called. I only kept it for a month or so but I wish I still had it. I tried to find a website listing but I didn't have any luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

landofoz
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008 07:32:15 AM »

I live in Hutch but we do most of our specific shopping in Wichita 'cause there isn't much over here.  Has anyone been to Hen Feathers over on Rock road?  Just the location lends itself to pricey but I'm looking for some canvas or duck cloth that I really like so that I can make some reusable grocery bags.  There is another on Rock Rd... Material comfort or something like that. 

Not to be harassing for info here but does the branch stores (Jo-Anns, Hobby Lobby, etc) have decent selections of canvas/duck cloth?  The HL here has 3 bolts of canvas: 2 cream and one hot pink and that is it for the entire city!

There is a scrapbook store over in Andover that I really like.  It's called Scrap Fan-addict (fanatic) or something close to that.  The women who own it are always extremely nice and helpful plus they have a great selection of my fave rub ons--but like all independent store they are a bit on the pricey side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arcadian green

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008 10:48:41 AM »

Not to be harassing for info here but does the branch stores (Jo-Anns, Hobby Lobby, etc) have decent selections of canvas/duck cloth?  The HL here has 3 bolts of canvas: 2 cream and one hot pink and that is it for the entire city!

Usually I buy fabric at Jo-Ann's because they seem to have a much better selection than Hobby Lobby. I prefer the Jo-Ann's on Oliver vs. the Jo-Ann's at Towne West. I don't really know about their canvas/duck cloth selection though. I would have to check it out the next time I went.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

embroiderywitch
embroiderywitch

Unique Gifts For Unique People

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008 09:18:18 PM »

Hi everyone,
I live in Mulvane. I can tell you that Joann's fabrics has a good selection of trigger cloth which is a kind of canvas material. I buy 8-10 yards at a time to make the embroidered faces for my clocks.
Has anyone been to the new Needles and Notions over near New Market Square in Wichita? I buy most of my thread,backings,etc. online. My all time favorite place to go shop hopping in McPherson.They have some of the neatest shops there.Of course my favorite crafing place is in my home. Tons of fabric and thread and a commercial embroidery machine. What could be better?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookeincraftland
BROOKE

formerly was polKadOt_iT.then they took over :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008 03:48:26 AM »

wow, lots of replies. I have not heard of the heritage hut or hen feathers. Also my brother lives in Salina so maybe I can get to "on the pot" what a great name Smiley Also this year was my first year to Hilsboro craft fair, didn't make it to marion. I thought it was great, and HUGE thats even better. Very fun.

Now I have places to go Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have paint all over my fingers and fabric all over the floor. Yeah it was a good day!
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008 12:55:54 PM »

Also this year was my first year to Hilsboro craft fair, didn't make it to marion.

I didn't make it to the Hillsboro craft fair because I was having a Talk Like a Pirate Day party. Sad

Could someone post details on the Marion craft fair?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Incredible Hulk
How to Draw Tweety Bird
How to Draw Winnie the Pooh
Learn Classical Composition Through DVD Course
Linear Grayscale Painting
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...