A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brown Plarn Messenger bag with Lining  (Read 591 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

never_more
« on: June 25, 2009 03:36:51 PM »

I love messenger bags, but I can never find any big enough for all of the stuff I have to lug around at school. So, after seeing a crocheted bag somewhere online a year ago (I have no idea where anymore), I made my own version of it out of plarn. Unfortunately, it's still too small. But it makes a great overnight bag!!!! It took me AGES to get it done, and then even longer to add the lining (which I did in a weird way, so I guess that might be why). But it turned out pretty cute, in my opinion.

Well, there it is. The red/silver stripe you see is a Target Christmas bag. All of it. Those things are huge, but when you cut it up...not so much. I lined it with some inexpensive fabric from Hobby Lobby. I would really, really appreciate some constructive criticism on this one. I kinda want to make another one, but better this time. So I can have it for school, and it will hold all of my heavy books.

For any that are interested: the bag was worked in the round, so the only seam I actually had to do was one side of the handle. I didn't have a pattern, so I just kinda estimated how much I wanted it to expand when my books were in it, and how tall it would need to be to properly cover everything. I don't have a closer thingy, the flap just hangs.  I made the strap longer than it needed to be, and then folded the parts closest to the bag and sewed them that way, for extra strength. I used about a yard and a half of the fabric for he lining. I recommend making the flap as long (or longer) than the bag itself without anything in it. Generally, I find that thinner bags (like the ones at grocery stores) are better than the thicker ones (like Target bags). I regretted working in the strip until it was done, just because it was so much thicker than the brown bags.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009 07:49:02 PM by never_more » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The purpose of art is to give shape to life."
William Shakespeare
boogiedu
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009 07:04:14 PM »

Well, there it is. The red/silver stripe you see is a Target Christmas bag. All of it. Those things are huge, but when you cut it up...not so much. I lined it with some inexpensive fabric from Hobby Lobby. I would really, really appreciate some constructive criticism on this one. I kinda want to make another one, but better this time. So I can have it for school, and it will hold all of my heavy books.

your lining looks very nice.
and your stitches are smooth and even.
what stitch did you use for the third row below the stripe in this photo?
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/183059_P1010827.JPG

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to,
doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.
never_more
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009 07:36:12 PM »

I used double crochet for all of the bag, but I worked only in the back loop for the entire flap. I actually think that's where I originally ended the bag, but then went back and added more because the flap wasn't long enough, so that might be why it looks a little different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The purpose of art is to give shape to life."
William Shakespeare
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Silversmith
How to Draw Sierra
How to Draw Shadow
How to Draw Scar
How to Draw Santa
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...